Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Heart problems? Does this happen to ANYONE else.... Help!

I was working out today and during a set of rows I didnt breathe properly and all of a sudden my heart went BERZERK. I don't know how to explain it other than it started beating unnaturally fast and very irregular. The beats were way off... like, beat beat. stop. beat. stop. beat beat beat. stop. beat. stop. beat beat etc. It scared me to no end. I just sat there taking deep breaths hoping for this to go away. It did after a few minutes.

Now this happened to me once before, in the summer, in the middle of a heavy bench press. Same cause - I didn't breathe. It had the same effect but at that time I thought it was juice related. I was running Sus and Fina , but now I am completely clean.

I want to know what the DANGERS are of this sort of activity. Note that it only seems to be caused by faulty breathing - not enough oxygen and too much stress I am guessing. Can this kill me? When it happens I feel completely fine, except for the strange beating in my chest. This is the second time I've had this but this time I am completely off and have been for the past several months.

Anyone with knowledge... Doc M, Talon, help... Thanks.

TicAl is offline Junior Member
    probably just a random heart murmur bro. i got 'em every once in a while...no biggie

sdmedic21 is offline Junior Member
    Possibility #1

The irregular beat indicates a hypoxic event happening in your heart. Due to lack of oxygen your ventricles become severely irratated and start to fire off out side of the normal pathways of electrical conduction (Pre-Ventricular-Contractions.....otherwise known as PVC's).
    Generally PVC's are not life threatening and tend to go away w/ proper oxygenation to the heart muscle. However, the rule of thumb is that over 6 PVC's / min can be life threatening. It seems from what you explained that is what the case was. I can't get into it too much cuz it would take to long but if a PVC were to land on the end T cycle of your heart beat it would throw you into V-Fib or V-tac (life threatening arrhythmias).
    What I would suggest to you is that you should see a cardiologist so they can do a 12-Lead EKG on you.

Possibility #2

Seeing your Dr for a 12-lead EKG would be good b/c you might have a genetic defect called Wolf Parkinsons White Sysdrom. WPWS. It's not common but also not life threatening. It happens when there is an accessory electrical pathway other than the normal running from the top of your heart to the bottom. SO basically instead of one normal conduction pathway from the atria to the ventricles you have two. The second usually stay dormant until a certain lack in Oxygen and the electrical current finds other ways to travel to cause least ammount of resistance. Typically this can throw you into a Re-entry problem and cause severe palpatations and irregularity such as PVC's, or even Atrial Fibrillation.
    Again, see your MD to verify that this is not the case. In the event that it is, simple surgery can correct the problem by cotorizing the accessory pathway, therefore curing your problem.

Hope this helped, if you need more info you can Private Message me.....I'll be more than happy to help you out man...
    ---- San Diego Medic 21
    Last edited by sdmedic21; 01-27-2004 at 12:06 AM.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    See a Dr, get an EKG and optimally a stress test. A serious arrithymia can be life threatening.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Great information, thanks guys! I'll see an MD right away

Thread Information