sublang is offline Junior Member

Filtered needles

I have heard of people using filtered needles when drawing from an amp and I have looked all over but cannot find any. On GPZ I saw a syringe filter. Is this the same thing? They are $5 a piece, can you reuse them throughout a cycle?

Also, I am looking to buy the 23G syringe with needle combo. However, I will want to draw with an 18G. Do the needles come off of the syringe/needle combo? And does it matter what brand to get (Terumo, B-D)? Thanks in advance.

firefitr5287 is offline Associate Member
    Bro, I work for the fire department and we use what we call filter straws to draw out of amps, which is the same thing as you are talking about. It screws on just like a regular needle and looks like it has a straw on the end. This filters out all of the micro shards that are impossible to stop when you break an amp. I wouldn't reuse them though... just like a needle with no way to disinfect so nothing but a bad infection could come from it. As far as price... $5 a piece seems awful high... we get boxes by the hundreds and I can't see the FD spending more than a few pennies for them. I will look to see if I can find the company, then you can do a search for them. PM me and I might be able to help you with your needle combo problem too.

A company called Braun makes the filter straw. Do a search on the web for "Braun filter straw" and you should be able to pull up something.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you are talking about filtered needles. The thing I found on GPZ is a syringe filter. It looks like it screws onto a syringe and then you put the needle on the filter. Good to know that there is a difference. That would be great if you could give me the manufacturer of your filtered needles.

**** you are fast! Thanks bro.

no prob...glad to help when I can

TestFreak is offline Associate Member
    you can also you a little thing called a prefilter. Vac sells them pm me for the site. do not waste your money on a normal syrenge filter that is for large amounts of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by TestFreak
    you can also you a little thing called a prefilter. Vac sells them pm me for the site. do not waste your money on a normal syrenge filter that is for large amounts of gear.
    Good advice, but what the guy is REAlly looking for has nothing to do with SYRINGE filters. He's looking for a needle device to filter out glass contaminants entering his gear when breaking the ampules open, not filtering gear in a homebrewing sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicMaster
    Good advice, but what the guy is REAlly looking for has nothing to do with SYRINGE filters. He's looking for a needle device to filter out glass contaminants entering his gear when breaking the ampules open, not filtering gear in a homebrewing sense.

That's the way I took it too... the Braun's are one time use specifically made to filter out the contaminants and shards that occur when breaking amps...

Thread Information