Iconn is offline Associate Member

Old (1996) study on AS aggression

Steroids build muscle mass, not aggression new study says
    New implications for people with AIDS
    July 3, 1996

From Correspondent Aileen Pincus

WASHINGTON (CNN)--The underground market for illegal steroids, such as testosterone , continues to be a problem, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. A recent study confirmed what many who use steroids have suspected for years: they work.

Building muscles takes hard work. For years, some athletes have turned to illegal steroids to give them the strength and muscle size exercise alone didn't provide.

Dr. Wayne Bardin of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md. says the latest research, which placed 43 men on large doses of testosterone over a ten week period, provides conclusive results.

"If you give men more testosterone, their muscles will grow, but they don't get any more aggressive than they already are," he said.

The study published in the July New England Journal of Medicine could have major implications for the treatment of those who lose muscle mass, such as people with AIDS or the elderly.

"In older men, testosterone declines as a group, and people have attributed the frailty of aging to declining testosterone levels ," said Dr. Shalender Bhasin from the Drew University of Medicine and Science.

Dr. Bhasin also says the study proves those on testosterone showed no change in mood or behavior.

"Testosterone effects on angry behavior or aggression, if there are any effects on humans, are greatly constrained and so they don't become manifest, so it's unlikely that testosterone would turn humans into beasts so to speak," he said.

The findings may even reach into space, where scientists have long searched for a way to counter the effects of gravity on muscle mass in astronauts.

Scientists say this study does not justify the use of illegal steroids. The study lasted for just ten weeks, and there is still much that is not known about the long-term effects of steroids .

CYCLEON Guest
    Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice one - so much for the roid rage myth

Especially the part about "they don't get any more aggressive than they already are". I think it is mostly in your head that you get pissed off at everything. Psychosomatic. You think that because you are on AS, and you have heard about the aggression, you have to stomp mud holes in people when they cut in front of you.

ravaz is offline Associate Member
    How do I get chosen to be the lab rat in their experiment with Test and steroids ???

jersey juice is offline Member
    Originally posted by ravaz
    How do I get chosen to be the lab rat in their experiment with Test and steroids ???

OOO OOO ME TOO ME TOO!!! I love reading these kinds of posts, but I stick to my guns that testosterone does make you more aggressive, it is in the mind, but the compound that makes us men also makes us more aggressive than our female counterparts...the difference is testosterone...I like to compare it to a dog before & after you neuter him. Same with a human, increase that hormone & you increase everything else that makes us men. It all boils down to SELF CONTROL!

ravaz is offline Associate Member
    I agree, I think it is self control. But I have found myself while on cycle to be more pissy. But seriously. How do you get chosen to do one of thes studies I always read about them and wonder how I could be so lucky

but the compound that makes us men also makes us more aggressive than our female counterparts
    You havent met my girlfriend.

CYCLEON Guest
    Iconn - you havent met mine - and Im still more agressive

Ironweb is offline Member
    Great post. Love seeing this type of study. When are more scientist and doctors going to quit believing their own BS and tell people more of the truths. Cudos for those who did this one.

Thread Information