GetPumped is offline Senior Member

Running Or Walk Fast On The Treadmill

Someone made an interesting point in another post about how a BB should walk on the treadmill instead of run because you burn up a ton more muscle? So, is it better to say, a bb should walk at a fast pace for 45 min on the treadmill rather than jog at a slow pace on the treadmill for 20 minutes? Just curious because I have ALWAYS ran on the treadmill and NOW i think I will start walking at a fast pace for longer because I am trying to cut down on my BF. Everyone says cardio and ditet is the key to cutting, but what do they mean by "cardio", is that slow shorter jog or a fast longer walk on the treadmill? Thanks bros.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I have heard this argued back and fourth a million times. Personally I take enough drugs and eat enough to keep muscle loss to a minimum so short burst sprints in the morning work best for me. Try different things and see what works best for you.

diesel21 is offline Member
    different for everyone, but in general much better to walk... running is cardio more than burning fat....
    walking burns way more fat, but this process takes place after 20 min of on the treadmill, s0 till you get to 21 don't count the time

I like to go at about a 4mph pace for an hour at a steep incline(when I am trying to cut) I do this everyday

Quote Originally Posted by LightWeightBaby
    I like to go at about a 4mph pace for an hour at a steep incline(when I am trying to cut) I do this everyday
    Do yall think that a very light jog about 5.5-6 mph for say 20-30 minutes, would be helpful in shedding bf or do yall think I would be losing too much muscle?I will probably try walking at a fast pace for like 45 minutes at a slight incline to see which one works better?
    Last edited by GetPumped; 02-10-2004 at 08:25 PM.

marcus_arillius is offline Junior Member
    The incline at a good pace worked for me when i was dieting. but, i didn't see any real fast results until i started doing it in the morning. I was under 7% in that pic.

Why do most people say you will get better results by doing your cardio in the morning? I've read that a few times on here before.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    Like Rickson said, this argument has gone back and forth a million times, bottom line figure out what best for ur body... And then stick to it...

the dent depot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetPumped
    Why do most people say you will get better results by doing your cardio in the morning? I've read that a few times on here before.
    Because in the morning you dont have many calories in you digestive system...so your body uses fat for fuel...

D

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    I posted this on 2 other threads for some bro's. It should help you out. Walking isn't going to do **** for you cept' burn 300 calories an hour( if you're lucky). Just follow the below and you won't lose ANY muscle from the cardio

Kinda sorta but not really. You will burn the most pure fat from your body at a h/r between 65-70% of your maximum. Anything above that and you're pulling from your atp or glucose stores. An average person stores enough glucose for 45 to 65 minutes worth of cardio. After that you'll start to burn more fat and muscle unless you keep your body fueled( w/ a carbo drink or powergel). As long as your cardio sessions don't really go over an hour you're not in danger of burning any muscle. Your atp stores will be depleted but you'll still be fine. The reasoning to keep your h/r below 70% of your max is because anything above this is too fast for your body to metabolize the fat for use as energy. I know about lactic thresholds/ max h/r's, and cardio expulsion on the body like Cycleron knows about this forum. I train about 15 hrs a week on a bike and use a h/r monitor that d/l's to my computer for post workout analysis. ANYWAYS: Just keep your cardio below an hour, expend more calories than you consume and you'll be buring fat, not muscle. Below an hour it doesn't matter if you h/r is 65% or 95% of your max. Any more questions please feel free to ask.

I had someone PM me and Question why my thinking about this. Well i got 28 inch wheels from biking and continually put on mass while training. I eat right and any time on the bike over an hour i use a carbo/protein drink for exthended fuel and to preserve my muscle. For my sport of cycling i'm trained by the premier coaching company in the world. They wrote the book on peridization and interval training, and have 5 consecutive tour de france wins to back it up! I don't expect everyone to believe what i'm saying, as everyone has an opinion, but i'm just adding my hard earned 2 cents about cardio.

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    I walk on an incline (6%) at 6.5/7 speed on an empty stomach for 45mins first thing. My heart rate is then at 130bpm, 60-70% of my maximaum heart rate

simplyjakked is offline Member
    for an example use runners: they run for their cardio and what is their bodytype? very flat and lean. as a bodybuilder you want lean but not flat! i have cut by running at a decent pace for 30min a day for four days a week and lost 25lbs in two months.(and was flat as a pancake) and yes took in plenty cal and protein during. a year later i cut by walking for 45min/day four days a week and lost 13lbs and kept a very healthy amount of muscle and was not flat at all! my 2cents from my own experimenting!

BigSexy50 is offline Associate Member
    On the other hand I am a very short stocky build that tends to hold more bodyfat than most (**** those caveman genes). Anyways, I was the biggest, strongest, and carried the least amount of bodyfat when I would run 3.5 miles every morning 5x a week. I was in no way flat, people thought I was on then, but I wasn't. Now I am about 15 - 20 lbs heavier, carrying more fat, and I get less comments about being on. My body type needed that intense burst, that was the only way my metabolism got the picture that I wanted it to turn it up a few gears. I say try running for a few months, if you decide that your physique gains aren't going where you would like try the walking technique. Maybe from the extra running you will have gained some endurance that will help you with whatever cardio you choose.

Thread Information