BWhitaker is offline Senior Member

Difference between anabolic and androgenic

What is the difference. What do these terms really mean.

debulkred is offline Junior Member
    answer:

www.google.com

Do some research!

ColdSore is offline Banned
    anabolic = primarily muscle mass gains

androgenic = primarily strength gains

Its way more complicated than that but that should give you a good idea....

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro - this is basic stuff - you need to use the search button and read up - do your homework and the Bros will be glad to help fill in the blanks - no flame - just a helpful reminder - remember it is all free

the dent depot is offline Senior Member
    God **** some people are lazy. Does your mama wipe your toushie too? I hope you havent done any cycles yet man...the search button is your friend.

D

Quote Originally Posted by the dent depot
    God **** some people are lazy. Does your mama wipe your toushie too? I hope you havent done any cycles yet man...the search button is your friend.

D
    I always kinda get frustrated when i see some people asking extremely basic questions that are easily solved by searching. However, i think that sometimes we get a little to quick in just assuming that this person is a ****ing idiot just because the asked a very simple question. For some people that may be the case, however, this is not one of them. I know quite abit about how steroids work, what they do, types of cycles, and so on. My question was just directed at the terminology. Just because someone doesnt know what a word means exactly doesnt know how the process works. i.e-many know that the body can break down proteins into glucose but few know off the top of their heads what the process is called...that doesnt infer they dont know how it works. Yes, i agree this was probably a lazy post but does not unqualify me as a stupid newbie. Before you start being an ass, try being a respectful critic and just point out that it is lazy and use the search button like the other people did.

Quote Originally Posted by backer123
    I always kinda get frustrated when i see some people asking extremely basic questions that are easily solved by searching. However, i think that sometimes we get a little to quick in just assuming that this person is a ****ing idiot just because the asked a very simple question. For some people that may be the case, however, this is not one of them. I know quite abit about how steroids work, what they do, types of cycles, and so on. My question was just directed at the terminology. Just because someone doesnt know what a word means exactly doesnt know how the process works. i.e-many know that the body can break down proteins into glucose but few know off the top of their heads what the process is called...that doesnt infer they dont know how it works. Yes, i agree this was probably a lazy post but does not unqualify me as a stupid newbie. Before you start being an ass, try being a respectful critic and just point out that it is lazy and use the search button like the other people did.

rolling the eyes huh? reminds me of someone who is at a loss but doesnt want to admit they made a mistake.

Im not trying to be an prick, i just dont like people making assumptions of my credibility. If you understand...no hard feelings. I really dont want to start a "cyber" fight.

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    questions like this give newbies and others who don't know some thing to learn. How many people maybe learned something that they did not know and would not of "searched" it?

Proteins
    A protein is any chain of amino acids. An amino acid is a small molecule that acts as the building block of any cell. Carbohydrates provide cells with energy, while amino acids provide cells with the building material they need to grow and maintain their structure. Your body is about 20-percent protein by weight. It is about 60-percent water. Most of the rest of your body is composed of minerals (for example, calcium in your bones). Amino acids are called "amino acids" because they all contain an amino group (NH2) and a carboxyl group (COOH), which is acidic. Below you can see the chemical structure of two of the amino acids.
    You can see that the top part of each is identical to the other. That is true of all amino acids -- the little chain at the bottom (the H or the CH3 in these two amino acids) is the only thing varying from one amino acid to the next. In some amino acids, the variable part can be quite large. The human body is constructed of 20 different amino acids (there are perhaps 100 different amino acids available in nature).
    As far as your body is concerned, there are two different types of amino acids: essential and non-essential. Non-essential amino acids are amino acids that your body can create out of other chemicals found in your body.
    Protein in our diets comes from both animal and vegetable sources. Most animal sources (meat, milk, eggs) provide what's called "complete protein," meaning that they contain all of the essential amino acids. Vegetable sources usually are low on or missing certain essential amino acids. For example, rice is low in isoleucine and lysine. However, different vegetable sources are deficient in different amino acids, and by combining different foods you can get all of the essential amino acids throughout the course of the day. Some vegetable sources contain quite a bit of protein -- things like nuts, beans, soybeans, etc. are all high in protein. By combining them you can get complete coverage of all essential amino acids.
    The digestive system breaks all proteins down into their amino acids so that they can enter the bloodstream. Cells then use the amino acids as building blocks.
    From this discussion you can see that your body cannot survive strictly on carbohydrates. You must have protein. According to this article, the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) for protein is 0.36 grams of protein per pound of body weight. So a 150-pound person needs 54 grams of protein per day. The photo above is the Nutritional Facts label from a can of tuna. You can see that a can of tuna contains about 32 grams of protein (this can has 13 grams per serving and there are 2.5 servings in the can). A glass of milk contains about 8 grams of protein. A slice of bread might contain 2 or 3 grams of protein. You can see that it is not that hard to meet the RDA for protein with a normal diet.

Carbohydrates
    You have probably heard of "carbohydrates" and "complex carbohydrates." Carbohydrates provide your body with its basic fuel. Your body thinks about carbohydrates like a car engine thinks about gasoline.
    The simplest carbohydrate is glucose. Glucose, also called "blood sugar" and "dextrose," flows in the bloodstream so that it is available to every cell in your body. Your cells absorb glucose and convert it into energy to drive the cell. Specifically, a set of chemical reactions on glucose creates ATP (adenosine triphosphate), and a phosphate bond in ATP powers most of the machinery in any human cell. If you drink a solution of water and glucose, the glucose passes directly from your digestive system into the bloodstream.

The word "carbohydrate" comes from the fact that glucose is made up of carbon and water. The chemical formula for glucose is:

C6H12O6

You can see that glucose is made of six carbon atoms (carbo...) and the elements of six water molecules (...hydrate). Glucose is a simple sugar, meaning that to our tongues it tastes sweet. There are other simple sugars that you have probably heard of. Fructose is the main sugar in fruits. Fructose has the same chemical formula as glucose (C6H12O6), but the atoms are arranged slightly differently. The liver converts fructose to glucose. Sucrose, also known as "white sugar" or "table sugar," is made of one glucose and one fructose molecule bonded together. Lactose (the sugar found in milk) is made of one glucose and one galactose molecule bonded together. Galactose, like fructose, has the same chemical components as glucose but the atoms are arranged differently. The liver also converts galactose to glucose. Maltose, the sugar found in malt, is made from two glucose atoms bonded together.

Glucose, fructose and galactose are monosaccharides and are the only carbohydrates that can be absorbed into the bloodstream through the intestinal lining. Lactose, sucrose and maltose are disaccharides (they contain two monosaccharides) and are easily converted to their monosaccharide bases by enzymes in the digestive tract. Monosaccharides and disaccharides are called simple carbohydrates. They are also sugars -- they all taste sweet. They all digest quickly and enter the bloodstream quickly. When you look at a "Nutrition Facts" label on a food package and see "Sugars" under the "Carbohydrates" section of the label, these simple sugars are what the label is talking about.

There are also complex carbohydrates, commonly known as "starches." A complex carbohydrate is made up of chains of glucose molecules. Starches are the way plants store energy -- plants produce glucose and chain the glucose molecules together to form starch. Most grains (wheat, corn, oats, rice) and things like potatoes and plantains are high in starch. Your digestive system breaks a complex carbohydrate (starch) back down into its component glucose molecules so that the glucose can enter your bloodstream. It takes a lot longer to break down a starch, however. If you drink a can of soda full of sugar, glucose will enter the bloodstream at a rate of something like 30 calories per minute. A complex carbohydrate is digested more slowly, so glucose enters the bloodstream at a rate of only 2 calories per minute (reference).

You may have heard that eating complex carbohydrates is a good thing, and that eating sugar is a bad thing. You may even have felt this in your own body. The following quote from The Yale Guide to Children's Nutrition explains why:

If complex carbohydrates are broken down to monosaccharides in the intestines before they are absorbed into the bloodstream, why are they better than refined sugar or other di- or mono-saccharides? To a great extent it has to do with the processes of digestion and absorption. Simple sugars require little digestion, and when a child eats a sweet food, such as a candy bar or a can of soda, the glucose level of the blood rises rapidly. In response, the pancreas secretes a large amount of insulin to keep blood glucose levels from rising too high. This large insulin response in turn tends to make the blood sugar fall to levels that are too low 3 to 5 hours after the candy bar or can of soda has been consumed. This tendency of blood glucose levels to fall may then lead to an adrenaline surge, which in turn can cause nervousness and irritability... The same roller-coaster ride of glucose and hormone levels is not experienced after eating complex carbohydrates or after eating a balanced meal because the digestion and absorption processes are much slower.
    If you think about it, this is incredibly interesting because it shows that the foods you eat and the way you eat them can affect your mood and your temperament. Foods do that by affecting the levels of different hormones in your bloodstream over time.

Another interesting thing about this quote is its mention of insulin. It turns out that insulin is incredibly important to the way the body uses the glucose that foods provide. The functions of insulin are:

To enable glucose to be transported across cell membranes
    To convert glucose into glycogen for storage in the liver and muscles
    To help excess glucose be converted into fat
    To prevent protein breakdown for energy
    According to the Encyclopedia Britannica:
    Insulin is a simple protein in which two polypeptide chains of amino acids are joined by disulfide linkages. Insulin helps transfer glucose into cells so that they can oxidize the glucose to produce energy for the body. In adipose (fat) tissue, insulin facilitates the storage of glucose and its conversion to fatty acids. Insulin also slows the breakdown of fatty acids. In muscle it promotes the uptake of amino acids for making proteins. In the liver it helps convert glucose into glycogen (the storage carbohydrate of animals) and it decreases gluconeogenesis (the formation of glucose from noncarbohydrate sources). The action of insulin is opposed by glucagon, another pancreatic hormone, and by epinephrine.
    What you can begin to see from this description is that there are actually lots of different things happening in your body around glucose. Because glucose is the essential energy source for your body, your body has many different mechanisms to ensure that the right level of glucose is flowing in the bloodstream. For example, your body stores glucose in your liver (as glycogen) and can also convert protein to glucose if necessary. Carbohydrates provide the energy that cells need to survive.

Thought I'd help your ignorance...since I was defeated and all...

D

Bros - here's another thread with similar title

http://www.anabolicreview.com/vbulle...read.php?t=793

rolling the eyes huh? reminds me of someone who is at a loss but doesnt want to admit they made a mistake.

Im not trying to be an prick, i just dont like people making assumptions of my credibility. If you understand...no hard feelings. I really dont want to start a "cyber" fight.
    Awwww. Did you learn something tonight? I hope so....I know I did.

You jabbed...I jabbed back...were done...I call for peace...cool with you?

D

p.s. I'm about 11 weeks into my Test cycle man, and a little edgy.

Awwww. Did you learn something tonight? I hope so....I know I did.

You jabbed...I jabbed back...were done...I call for peace...cool with you?

D

p.s. I'm about 11 weeks into my Test cycle man, and a little edgy.

LOL - that could explain it - You know Steroids can cause Roid Rage LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by powerlifter
    LOL - that could explain it - You know Steroids can cause Roid Rage LMAO
    I dont know if its my ego or a chemical thing, but when I'm on.....I laugh at my temper sometimes.........my mom might call while I'm watching CSI...and I'll have to keep myself from going apesh!t. And I'm not a fanatic CSI watcher....I'm rambling.

D

MTLMAN is offline New Member
    Anabolic : muscle mass and strenth gain
    Androgenic : secondary male pattern (Facail hair, deeper voice, ...) + gyno
    i hope this was helpul

Jab, jab. No problem.

As far as the protein into glucose...still pretty sure it happens. Ill look it up.

I think my example was just semantics. Just saying that not knowing a term doesnt mean not knowing the process.

a peaceful ending

I dont know if its my ego or a chemical thing, but when I'm on.....I laugh at my temper sometimes.........my mom might call while I'm watching CSI...and I'll have to keep myself from going apesh!t. And I'm not a fanatic CSI watcher....I'm rambling.

D

Funny shi* - I know what you mean - my wife thinks I am insane - and that's when I am off cycle LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by MTLMAN
    Anabolic : muscle mass and strenth gain
    Androgenic : secondary male pattern (Facail hair, deeper voice, ...) + gyno
    i hope this was helpul
    So by your description....there are no positives for Androgenic?

Dont post if you dont know WTF youre talking about...I know you want to help bro, but you dont know what they are yourself.

D

(rage?)

So by your description....there are no positives for Androgenic ?

Dont post if you dont know WTF youre talking about...I know you want to help bro, but you dont know what they are yourself.

D

(rage?)
    It's on again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Jab, jab. No problem.

As far as the protein into glucose...still pretty sure it happens. Ill look it up.

I think my example was just semantics. Just saying that not knowing a term doesnt mean not knowing the process.

a peaceful ending
    No harm...no foul...but when a protein is used for energy..thats usually asociated with catabolism.....using your muscles for energy.

D

Quote Originally Posted by powerlifter
    It's on again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    Dude...I gotta get off of the computer.........I'm going insane!

Plus, CSI is coming on in 5.....NOBODY CALL ME!

D

Peace out Bro

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    See........... Just like real families........... "your useless brother comes to dinner and calls your sister a slut, your uncle drinks too much, and your mom takes a nap..."

In the end.. everyone is made whole, and there is nothing but love......

Just like real family

What is the difference. What do these terms really mean.
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Just to prove my point....jk lol

Gluconeogenesis -- When glycogen (sugar stored in muscles) stores are low, glucose for emergency energy is synthesized from protein and the glycerol portion of fat molecules. This is one important reason that ATP/CP athletes and glycolytic athletes are warned to stay away from undue aerobic exercise -- it’s muscle-wasting.

I already said cataboic...sorry to have beat you to the punch bro...I seem to do that a lot.

D

I already said cataboic...sorry to have beat you to the punch bro...I seem to do that a lot.

D
    So you beat me to the punch of proving me right in my initial statements, i have to give you that. SOrry for taking credit

all in fun

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    All anabolic -androgenic steroids (AAS) are diriatives of testosterone . Each has an index ratio assigned to it on how anabolic (actual building effects --> muscle tissue, bone density, ...) versus androgenic (male-like effects --> bodyhair, deepening the voice, prostate ... effects that originally helped you to become a man from the time you were a fetus to a matured adult) the compound is. A purely anabolic steroid would be ideal but it is not currently an option - they all exert some androgenic effects... but how much varies depending on the compound.

Testosterone is a natural androgen and the one used as a reference drug to the others. On the theraputic index for anabolic steroids , testosterone rates a 1 as the standard. Anabolic steroids were orignially developed to alter the testosterone molecule to increase anabolic functions and decrease androgenic - the ratio being the therapeutic index. For example, compared to testosterone... Deca scores an 11-12... significantly more anabolic than androgenic.

The basic goal of stacking compounds is to increase the total AAS use with as little unwanted androgenic side effects as possible - stuff like prostate enlargement, effects on male pattern bladness, increase bodyhair... sometimes to limit water and/or fat retention as well...

For example, using 500mg of testosterone with 500mg of nandrolone per week versus using 1000mg of testosterone can have less of an impact on the prostate since you basically cut the total weekly androgen use with a 19-Nor testosterone diriative that has lower androgenic effects...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    All anabolic -androgenic steroids (AAS) are diriatives of testosterone . Each has an index ratio assigned to it on how anabolic (actual building effects --> muscle tissue, bone density, ...) versus androgenic (male-like effects --> bodyhair, deepening the voice, prostate ... effects that originally helped you to become a man from the time you were a fetus to a matured adult) the compound is. A purely anabolic steroid would be ideal but it is not currently an option - they all exert some androgenic effects... but how much varies depending on the compound.

Testosterone is a natural androgen and the one used as a reference drug to the others. On the theraputic index for anabolic steroids , testosterone rates a 1 as the standard. Anabolic steroids were orignially developed to alter the testosterone molecule to increase anabolic functions and decrease androgenic - the ratio being the therapeutic index. For example, compared to testosterone... Deca scores an 11-12... significantly more anabolic than androgenic.

The basic goal of stacking compounds is to increase the total AAS use with as little unwanted androgenic side effects as possible - stuff like prostate enlargement, effects on male pattern bladness, increase bodyhair... sometimes to limit water and/or fat retention as well...

For example, using 500mg of testosterone with 500mg of nandrolone per week versus using 1000mg of testosterone can have less of an impact on the prostate since you basically cut the total weekly androgen use with a 19-Nor testosterone diriative that has lower androgenic effects...
    Then why do we want test as a base in all cycles if what you saying is that other steroids are more anablic and less androgenic therefore better than test.

shrunkennutz116 is offline Associate Member
    hahahaah u guys crack me up. u fight like ur married. j/k

Quote Originally Posted by shrunkennutz116
    hahahaah u guys crack me up. u fight like ur married. j/k
    well, hopefully not married anymore...i want a divorce, the kid, the car, and all of your gear

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Then why do we want test as a base in all cycles if what you saying is that other steroids are more anablic and less androgenic therefore better than test.
    First off - nothing is better than testosterone . It is the hormone that your body is most accustomed to... you have it running through your veins every day your life. You shouldn't shut your system without, at the very minimal a replacement dose of testosterone. But from clinical studies - you get the most anabolic effects from test using at least 300mg per week. I can not recall the pathway that many of heavy androgenic steroids take to have such a pronounced an effect on strength and muscle building - but I believe it has much more to do with the cross-overbinding to glucocorticoid receptors (cortisol blocking) than increaseing protein synthesis...

Heavy androgens do have significant value to a cycle - gear like trenbolone and testosterone are well known for their great effects. But to amswer his question... androgenic means male-like while anabolic refers to the tissue building effects.

Thread Information