BWhitaker is offline Senior Member

GABA...myth or reality

I was just curious to info relating GABA. I did a little research on it and it talked about how it helps increase HGH, help sleep, etc. I am a psychology major and i know that GABA is an amino acid the is one of the bodies main inhibitory nuerotransmitters and problems with lack of GABA can cause Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). However, there is not a good way to use GABA supplements in order increase GABA levels and therefore fixing the problem. However, there are medications called anxiolytics that help to increase the productivity of the inhibitory neurons and help the receptor sites take in more GABA, but actually putting GABA in the system does nothing. Now, of course, it is possible that GABA supplementation works with the body differently than increasing the neurotransmitter in the brain but as far as i know it does not increase GABA in the inhibitory neurons. Anyone know anything about this. Keep in mind, my knowledge of GABA is strictly to do with psychiatric disorders so it may work differently than i know. Thanks

bump

nostawk is offline Associate Member
    well, you'll definately feel something if you take at least 5g. I know there is at least one study that show it increases hgh levels. and i definately helps you relax and go to sleep.

Quake is offline Member
    I don't know the technicalities, but I get a burning sensation in my muscles (all my muscles) about 15 -30 mins after taking it. I don't know if this would help someone who knows what they are talking about determine what it is doing. Good luck, I'm interesed in finding out about this too.

beefydragon is offline Member
    Hey BWhitker... why does the main thread page still shows "Backer123" underneath the subject? Weird...

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I use it for sleep all the time, but regards being a HGH or increasing GH levels I'll qoute from the label on the bottle in front of me..

''GABA is a safe, effective, natural and cost effective way to increase growth hormone by at least 550% with in 90 minutes, there for adding your goals of building lean muscle and strenght''

Then it goes on to contradict itself with this;

''Warnings: GABA is not a medical product, it is not intended to treat any medical condition and WILL NOT ALTER HORMONE LEVELS OUTSIDE NORMAL PHYSIOLOGICAL LEVELS.''

Go figure!.

Steroids101 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    I use it for sleep all the time, but regards being a HGH or increasing GH levels I'll qoute from the label on the bottle in front of me..

''GABA is a safe, effective, natural and cost effective way to increase growth hormone by at least 550% with in 90 minutes, there for adding your goals of building lean muscle and strenght''

Then it goes on to contradict itself with this;

''Warnings: GABA is not a medical product, it is not intended to treat any medical condition and WILL NOT ALTER HORMONE LEVELS OUTSIDE NORMAL PHYSIOLOGICAL LEVELS.''

Go figure!.
    I was under the impression that your pineal gland either released gh or didn't, and that one of those times it did was in REM (witch is about 70-90 minutes into sleep). So Im not sure where they got 550%???? But its really not contradicting itself.

bayoumike is offline New Member
    try phenibut AKA 3-phenyl-GABA . plain GABA does not get pass the blood brain barrier but 3-phenyl-GABA does and works awesome.

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beefydragon
    Hey BWhitker... why does the main thread page still shows "Backer123" underneath the subject? Weird...
    I noticed that too - what's up with that ? I thought that name was dead and buried ! LOL

Quake is offline Member
    Interesting fact I read in work today. GABA has been used as treatment for Mental Health problems particularly to combat Schizophrenia. What I read said that so far test results have been negative as far as it having a positive effect but that in theory it should work (or words to that effect).

map200uk is offline Anabolic Member
    id never even heard of GABA...u can buy it legally?|

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by map200uk
    id never even heard of GABA...u can buy it legally?|
    Yes. It is OTC supplement.

Quake is offline Member
    OK, borrowed two books which both mention GABA. The one I talked about says this -

"AMINO ACID NEUROTRANSMITTERS

Gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) is one of the major inhibitory neurotransmitters in the brain, which are known to interact with dopamine systems particularly in the limbic system; thus a notion of an interlinked deficiency in GABA and hyperactivity of dopaminergic systems has been an attractive hypothesis. Again studies from post mortem data have not proved consistent and, overall, biochemical evidence does not support any role for GABA deficiency in the brains of people with schizophrenia. It is therefore not surprising that attempts to test a GABA agonist have proved negative as a treatment for positive symptoms (Tamminga, Crayton, & Chase, 1978).
    Glutamate is an excitatory neurotransmitter particularly found in cortical neurones. These systems have attracted particular interest because they link systems within the cortex with projections from the midbrain including the limbic system. This is of interest since it has been argued that schizophrenia may be linked to a failure of integration of cortical function between the key functional areas of the brain including the hemispheres.
    Overall there is no agreement that glutamatergic systems are altered in the brain of schizophrenics. Since interest in glutamatergic neurones has been at the level of connectivity between cortical pathways, focus has not been upon the elucidation of simple deficits or excesses of this neurotransmitter. For example, studies have suggested that areas around the temporal lobe including the limbic system show deficits in glutamatergic activity (e.g. Deakin, Slater, Simpson et al., 1989), whereas in the prefrontal areas of the cortex there appears to be overactivity. Further work by Deakin, Slater, Simpson, and Royston (1990) suggests that these deficits in the temporal lobe arose as a result of atrophy of brain tissue lateralised to the left side."

I wrote the whole section as it is all relevant to amino acids which are obviously of great importance in what we do, i.e. BB/WL/PL/F.

The other book is a dictionary of all relating terminology with regards to psychology. Here are the relevant things to this subject.

"GLUTAMIC ACID - An amino acid regarded as essential in diets and important for normal brain function. It is converted by pyridoxine, or vitamin B6, into gamma-amino-butyric-acid (GABA). Has been studied to determine if its administration might increase brain cell function, thereby enhancing learning ability and intelligence. Results have been inconclusive. Also known as glutamine.

GLUTAMATE - A salt or ester of glutamic acid that acts as a neurotransmitter, generally an excitatory one. Common in the mammalian brain.

GLUTAMATE HYPOTHESIS (OF SCHIZOPHRENIA) - A postulate that schizophrenia is caused by deficient activity at some glutamate synapses.

GAMMA AMINOBUTYRIC ACID (GABA) - A substance present in the central nervous system of mammals and assumed to be a neurotransmitter inhibitor.

NEUROTRANSMITTER(S) - Chemicals that carry the "messages" of the nerves from one cell to another. They are secreted at the ends of the axon, the efferent or out-going fiber of the nerve cell, enter the synapse, a tiny space between the nerves, some are picked up by the receptor sites on the dendrites, the afferent or ingoing fiber or part of the next nerve cell, and if enough receptor sites are stimulated, this triggers the depolarization or "firing" of that next nerve cell in the network. There have been many different types of neurotransmitters discovered and many variants within each type. Acetylcholine, dopamine, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), norepinephrine, and serotonin are some of the better known examples."

I'm a little confused as although in both books GABA is described as an inhibitor, in one book, as you can read, it is described as actually "being" one of the neurotransmitters. Not sure of the complete roles and variations of neurotransmitters, maybe some are stimulaters as glutamate is described as being, and some are inhibitors, and they help keep a balance of some sort at a chemical level. As you can see, it's all delicate stuff, but if you know what you are doing then good luck to you. I have always experienced gains whilst taking GABA, and these quotes go to prove that it "is" important in the role of moving muscle. I know Glutamine is one of the most promoted amino acids to be taken by BB's/WL's/PL's etc, I wonder how many knew that it is GABA that they are promoting in their bodies through the use of glutamine. I didn't until now!

Quake is offline Member
    GABA is now illegal. It has been banned (I am told) due to it's similarity to GHB (Gamma Hydroxy Butrate) the "date rape drug". It seems that it might be another beneficial supplement that we have been given restricted access to. All is not lost though, as my last post says, glutamine converts to GABA in the body so I'm gonna go out and get me a gallon drum of the stuff!

bayoumike is offline New Member
    GABA is not banned! I am not sure where you herd that info but it is wrong

Quake is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoumike
    GABA is not banned! I am not sure where you herd that info but it is wrong
    It is banned in the UK. It has been removed from the shelves in all my local healthfood shops and I even chatted to one of the managers about it and they confirmed that they cannot sell it any longer. Maybe it is still legal in the US?

flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer272001
    It is banned in the UK. It has been removed from the shelves in all my local healthfood shops and I even chatted to one of the managers about it and they confirmed that they cannot sell it any longer. Maybe it is still legal in the US?
    lets try to stay away from bumping 3 to4 month old posts, mmmmkay?

Quake is offline Member

Thumbs down ?????

Quote Originally Posted by flabbywussy
    lets try to stay away from bumping 3 to4 month old posts, mmmmkay?
    Why?

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer272001
    Yes it is legal in US. But GABA and GHB 2 different stuff. You can't get GHB from GABA.

Still says backer123...huh??? Well i too thought that name was long gone...now we are bringing up all the bad memories of backer123...jk

Quake is offline Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RussianVodka
    Yes it is legal in US. But GABA and GHB 2 different stuff. You can't get GHB from GABA.
    Then you are lucky if you live in the US. I know it does something as I get a burning sensation in my muscles 20-30 mins after taking it. In a book on psychology that I have, GHB is described as being a "central nervous system depressant" described as being able to cause "memory loss, seizures, nausea, coma, and death". GABA on the other hand is given none of these traits, and, from personal experience, I have never experienced any problems from using GABA at the recommended dosage on a daily basis. As I have already said, I get good gains from using it.

Thread Information