RJM03 is offline Senior Member

Doc's answer to forearm pain.

This is for those of you who were interested in hearing my physician's take on forearm pain we discussed last week. Quick recap, pain in the mid forearm region on outside of arm against bone, tweaks during bicep curls etc. My doc looked at it and felt around the regions and was able to tell me that it was the onset of tendonitis due to overworking the muscle group. He also was able to tell me that my AS use makes the problem get worse quicker as well b/c 1. the connective tissue isn't keeping up with the growth rate of the muscle, and 2. due to the ability to recover quickly and increase weight constantly, the area is getting worked more often and harder every time which causes the pain to get worse each time. Maybe Doc M could elaborate on this comment, but my doc was feeling around my outer forearm between my wrist and elbow and said he was able to "palpitate" the tissue, basically he could feel the swollen tissue and move it around. To alleviate the pain he said ice and anti-inflammatories and time off, but he said "you probably wont take time off" so lighten the weight significantly and shoot for more repetition based sets.

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    I had the exact same problem. Took a week off and then only did dumbells for two weeks. Now I can do any exercise with very little to no pain at all. Your doc said the same thing mine did, so I would say it's close.

Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired
    Thanks for the info!

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    thanks for the update...

peace,

ttgb

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I am total agreement with your Doctor..That is an unfortunate drawback to AS use..As our muscles increase in size and strength, the weight load that our joints and connective tissues have to carry also increases..Our joints and connective tissues are not alway able to carry the load and strain that the growong muslces are able to handle..This very often leads to damage, inflammation, soreness, and discomfort to the point that our workouts have to suffer or cease..

If you follow his directions and stay religious with the ice, rest and/or redcution in weight, and the anti-inflammatories, you should see a gradual decrease in pain and the ability to increase your workout loads..You will need to pay very close attention fo rthe early signs of a reoccurence..Once you develop this condition, it is very likely to return over time with more frequency..All in all though, it is a very manageable problem that if taken care of, should show very little hinderance to your workouts..

Doc M

Quote Originally Posted by RJM03
    This is for those of you who were interested in hearing my physician's take on forearm pain we discussed last week. Quick recap, pain in the mid forearm region on outside of arm against bone, tweaks during bicep curls etc. My doc looked at it and felt around the regions and was able to tell me that it was the onset of tendonitis due to overworking the muscle group. He also was able to tell me that my AS use makes the problem get worse quicker as well b/c 1. the connective tissue isn't keeping up with the growth rate of the muscle, and 2. due to the ability to recover quickly and increase weight constantly, the area is getting worked more often and harder every time which causes the pain to get worse each time. Maybe Doc M could elaborate on this comment, but my doc was feeling around my outer forearm between my wrist and elbow and said he was able to "palpitate" the tissue, basically he could feel the swollen tissue and move it around. To alleviate the pain he said ice and anti-inflammatories and time off, but he said "you probably wont take time off" so lighten the weight significantly and shoot for more repetition based sets.

Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired
    Doc, mine is getting worse as the days progress. I was right in my thinking that it was due to my muscles getting too strong for the ligiments and tendons. So should I lay off the movements where it hurts? There is a lot of them that hurt now, almost all back and bi movements. Should I just take Aleve before I work out those muscles??

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc M
    If you follow his directions and stay religious with the ice, rest and/or redcution in weight, and the anti-inflammatories, you should see a gradual decrease in pain and the ability to increase your workout loads..You will need to pay very close attention fo rthe early signs of a reoccurence..Once you develop this condition, it is very likely to return over time with more frequency..All in all though, it is a very manageable problem that if taken care of, should show very little hinderance to your workouts..
    totally in agreement from personal experience.

i have had bursitis (tendinitis) in both forearms from the time i was in my teens and i can control it pretty well with proper volume/weight along with the ice and anti-inflam.

my doctor gave me a pretty mild anti-inflam and it works well if i take it consistently.

you learn to live with it and work around it, but at times it can be a pain especially when doing heavy drop sets for bi's or any heavy curling.

figure out what works best for your body and you can alleviate much of the pain and not let it ruin your training.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daem
    totally in agreement from personal experience.

i have had bursitis (tendinitis) in both forearms from the time i was in my teens and i can control it pretty well with proper volume/weight along with the ice and anti-inflam.

my doctor gave me a pretty mild anti-inflam and it works well if i take it consistently.

you learn to live with it and work around it, but at times it can be a pain especially when doing heavy drop sets for bi's or any heavy curling.

figure out what works best for your body and you can alleviate much of the pain and not let it ruin your training.
    mine gets so sore sometimes I can't even hardly grip any wieght at all...do you guys have that problem?

Also, what's a good OTC anti-inflammatory?

peace,

ttgb

abmyers is offline Associate Member
    I have the same problem right now. Ive found if you stay away from cable curls, preachers and hammers, im ok. I guess because other bi excercises dont force you to use forarm as much.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    You may just have to come up with alternative movements and see which ones cause the least amount of discomfort..Aleve is very good in my opinion..Doc M

RJM03 is offline Senior Member
    Dude I hear you, when I work through it, by the end of my workout I cant even make a fist. But its definitely at its worst during drop sets and heavy curling. I have found that doing rope curls on the cable machine is less painful than using the curl bar, but its not as glamorous as curling two 45 lb plates. Since I find that the curl bar is what aggrevates it the worst, I will save it for the end of my routine so I can ice immediately after, also guys tape up the area with hockey tape before you workout it helps support it.

Thread Information