mrmanners is offline Junior Member

Think twice before you tell your doctor about roids...

I just got off the phone with my doctor. I just realized what a huge mistake it was being honest about my use of "anabolic enhancement substances..."

Quick background; In my profession I depend on a medical clearance from an annual physical. I go through a bunch of tests and then the doctor signs off on the paperwork.

Well, considering my new disclosure she decided she does not feel comfortable, or legaly able to sign off on my paperwork. Considering the possible, and I quote; "psychotic effects of anabolic steroids ."
    Furthermore, she will not be able to advise me in this matter since it concerns an illegal substance. And this is after consulting with her Medical Director

I was stumped, and I'm still in awe of her ignorance as I'm sitting here writing this. Especially since I came to her with a concern regarding my health.

I will, no doubt, change medical group at once. I am a bit worried however what potential effect this can have on my medical coverage. Perhaps none, but then again, there might be a letter in the mail already wishing to deny or suspend my coverage pending further investigation on the basis of illegal substance abuse.

How'bout that for food for thought?

The moral of the story is as always "Loose lips sink ships" Watch out who you confide in especially when you're the one that stands to lose something.

Be well, (and quiet apparently)
    MrManners

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    THat's absoulte bull****!
    I don't know what to tell ya bro but she can't disclose to your work that you were on AS...if she did she'd be looking at a major lawsuit/losing her licesense etc.
    Find another dr.
    I bet DocM will be able to shed light on this !

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    So what ya going to do???

You have to have the pass on the physical for your job... can you get it done at another facility??

You may want to contact the administration of this doc's facility, and lodge a formal complaint... for disclosing this information......

that way the info will stay private..

good luck
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    So what ya going to do???

You have to have the pass on the physical for your job... can you get it done at another facility??

You may want to contact the administration of this doc's facility, and lodge a formal complaint... for disclosing this information......

that way the info will stay private..

good luck
    I can get the physical done at another facitlity so no problem there.

Thank you for the advice. I will contact the administrative office and complain regarding her conduct.
    A formal complain could be a double edged sword since it requires putting it all in writing:

As it is I only spoke to my doctor in person. There are no paperwork or recorded statements supporting a confession of using illegal substances. For all anyone knows I might have been talking about Androstene but "mixed-up" the name with some other substance I've read about in a bodybuilding magazine.

I guess time will tell as I contact my medical insurance next week to change the medical group. If I run into any grief I will launch a formal complaint with the help of an attorney. This board will know all about it if it ever gets to that point.

MrM

Yeah I would talk to an lawyer before u file a formal complaint in writeing.
    I'm curious to see what the good Dr's on the board have to say about this!
    Bump

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBaraso
    Yeah I would talk to an lawyer before u file a formal complaint in writeing.
    I'm curious to see what the good Dr's on the board have to say about this!
    Bump
    Yeah Bro - sounds like a breach of DR/Pt. confidentiality to me - two words for that lawsuit " Twelve Million " LOL

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    From what i have heard from other ppl on this board you can have your medical records sealed from your insurance companies because of patient doctor confedentiality, however, good luck finding an insurance company that will blindly cover you.

BigJim39 is offline Associate Member
    or you can take this the other way...

if they try to do anything to you regarding the use of juice, then you can always play the role of "I was going to the doctor for help because I thought I had a problem with addiction"

this would put them on the defensive and most likely stop any problems that telling your doctor might have caused..

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I have always adviced people against telling there doctor about AAS use unless absolutely necessary. If you are using insurance and that gets on your chart it becomes part of the insurance database. There was a lawsuit in Jacksonville Fl because a man went in to the emergency room after cutting himself at a barbeque. He had been drinking and the doctor put possible drinking problem on the chart. It took him like six years and tons of money to get it taken off so he could qualify for new medical insurance.

palequail is offline Banned
    Personally I love me Doc but I would only tell him about my roid use if I felt my health was in jeppordy....Because most docs aren't very schoolled on anabolics...they will always, always tell you it will **** you up....

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    (key word) "SHE" There's your problem

magicstick2003 is offline Anabolic Member
    i think their is a loop hole in which the doc can tell other people... and that is if she/he feels you may be a danger to yourself or others... im not sure but i believe i've heard that...(maybe this will be her justification) Also by telling her director she hasn;t violated anything unless she used names, she could just have said i have a patient who......
    anyway i wish you the best of luck, its sad how uneducated even a doctor can be ablout AS

longhornDr is offline Member
    From what you described I don't see any breach in confidentiality.

I'm sure you signed something regarding drug use for your job, and do you really expect a physician to sign off on the use of a controlled substance? Why the hell would a doctor put his/her ass on the line like that?

While I personally don't have anything against the responsible use of anabolics, don't kid yourself, they are a health risk and you are a greater liability to your employer and insurance company.

If you are going to tell a doctor about steroid use , you need to do it outside of your insurance.

asymmetrical1 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmanners
    I just got off the phone with my doctor. I just realized what a huge mistake it was being honest about my use of "anabolic enhancement substances..."

Quick background; In my profession I depend on a medical clearance from an annual physical. I go through a bunch of tests and then the doctor signs off on the paperwork.

Well, considering my new disclosure she decided she does not feel comfortable, or legaly able to sign off on my paperwork. Considering the possible, and I quote; "psychotic effects of anabolic steroids ."
    Furthermore, she will not be able to advise me in this matter since it concerns an illegal substance. And this is after consulting with her Medical Director

I was stumped, and I'm still in awe of her ignorance as I'm sitting here writing this. Especially since I came to her with a concern regarding my health.

I will, no doubt, change medical group at once. I am a bit worried however what potential effect this can have on my medical coverage. Perhaps none, but then again, there might be a letter in the mail already wishing to deny or suspend my coverage pending further investigation on the basis of illegal substance abuse.

How'bout that for food for thought?

The moral of the story is as always "Loose lips sink ships" Watch out who you confide in especially when you're the one that stands to lose something.

Be well, (and quiet apparently)
    MrManners
    man, what a crock bro....sorry to see you get handled this way but glad you posted this....I will definitely now not volunteer any info of this nature

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    That is some bs on her part. You did the right thing to consult her. She must be a b i t c h. Sorry to hear some doc tripped on you like that after you consulted her.

Want2GetHuge is offline Associate Member
    BUMP

Good info here... sorry we had to learn this at the expense of you! Keep us posted. I am going to subscribe to this thread to keep an eye on it! GOOD LUCK and DON'T WORRY YOURSELF.. it'll pan out!

Bump for DocM

I sent this to a good friend of mine that's a dr...I'll post his response tomorrow...

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Many people believe the Doctor/Patient privledge is aboslute..in fact it is not. She cannot others...but must use all info at hand and "professional judgement"..it is just a common misconception about Doc/Patient confidentiality..it keeps the doc from telling others not involeved..or those that do not have a stake in your health.

BuffGuy is offline Associate Member
    Wow--good thread. Thanks for the heads-up.

DEVLDOG is offline Retired VET
    there was a thread before that i encouraged people to tell there doc.....we'll that opinion has changed .since i got in a vehicle accident with a company vehicle.herniated 5 disc.now workers comp wants me to release my med records to them to ok the comp case.well if my employer sees that file i'm definately getting fired.strict policy on illegal substances.my aqttorney has recomended i make an appointment with my doc and make sure the file leaves with me....not a real good situation to be in.i will never again fess up to a doctor about my extra corricular activities.just get me the blood work and the results.i'll read them myself.

shootdeep is offline Member
    i posted a question a while back about telling your doc. most bros here tell their docs, but i'm still not gonna.....unless my balls are falling off!

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shootdeep
    i posted a question a while back about telling your doc. most bros here tell their docs, but i'm still not gonna.....unless my balls are falling off!
    Dito I have a job now with inssurance, which I have never had I will keep my mouth shut for sure. To bad bro she didnt want to actually have a disscussion about it with you instead of the riot act

Solrock is offline Member
    That sucks.

I don't tell my doc. I do monitor my blood work closely and regularly. If something were to move well out of range, I would likely say something about my AS use.

I get anonymous testing done through healthcheckusa.com. (I don't think this is source posting, but remove it if necessary).

dane is offline Junior Member
    Good post bro, I was wondering if it was possible for a doctor to report you to the police since it is illegal? anybody know? dane

Shortyrock13 is offline Associate Member
    doctors can't report you to the police regarding information you give them in a doctor patient setting. Judging from your initial post it doesn't sound like she breached any confidentiality by not signing off. Its her ass if she signs off saying you are in perfect health, when we all know AS even when administered very carefully have health risks. She has a responsibility as your physician to keep what you talk about regarding your health private, however, she does not have a responsibility to misrepresent her professional findings. I think alot of bro's should step back before jumping on the bandwagon here.

Quote Originally Posted by MBaraso
    I sent this to a good friend of mine that's a dr...I'll post his response tomorrow...
    Thank you bro

Says a lot about you for going through the trouble...
    I sure apprechiate it.
    MrM

Quote Originally Posted by Shortyrock13
    doctors can't report you to the police regarding information you give them in a doctor patient setting. Judging from your initial post it doesn't sound like she breached any confidentiality by not signing off. Its her ass if she signs off saying you are in perfect health, when we all know AS even when administered very carefully have health risks. She has a responsibility as your physician to keep what you talk about regarding your health private, however, she does not have a responsibility to misrepresent her professional findings. I think alot of bro's should step back before jumping on the bandwagon here.
    You are correct and so is "LonghornDR" in his post.

There has been no breach of patient/client confidentiality yet, and hopefully there won't be any that might adversly affect my insurance coverage. Furthermore, my doctor is obviously entitled to her professional opinion, and it is her option to refuse to sign off on my paperwork.

The point, however, is the potential damage that can result from being completely honest with your doctor. Another post on this thread by "devldog" regarding the release of medical records for a workers-comp claim clearly shows the potential damage that can result. And I feel this is something worth considering before confiding in your physician.

And this after expressing a desire to discontinue my use of A.S. I can't even fathom her reaction if I would have told her I intend to continue using it.

Be well, MrM.

Thread Information