Thread: Ketotifen

samoth is offline Member

Question Ketotifen

Ok... a while ago Cycleon posted a thread about Ketotifen. First of all, where did this information come from? In speaking with a friend of mine, he states that the information posted about Keto is flawed. I am very interested in this chemical if what Cycleon posted is in fact true, but the response my friend had was, "... upregulation of receptors is done through growth factors" ,of which Keto is not. Furthermore, "Ephedrine does not work on beta-3 receptors... there are several agonists in research but ephedrine is not one..." Does anyone have any links to sites about this chemical, or any argument to either side? This is very interesting, and I would like to get my facts straight.

samoth is offline Member
    Anyone??

CYCLEON Guest
    "Ephedrine is believed to have some direct effect on both alpha adrenoceptors and beta adrenoceptors, but AT THERAPEUTIC DOSES, ephedrine exerts its thermogenic effect almost entirely via stimulating noradrenaline release from the sympathetic nerve terminals [endings] . . . at least 40% of the [thermogenic] response is mediated by an atypical receptor, which is presumed to be the beta 3-adrenoceptor."

from
    Liu YL, Toubro S, Astrup A, Stock MJ Contribution of beta 3-adrenoceptor activation to ephedrine-induced thermogenesis in humans Int J Obes Relat Disord. Sep;19(9). 678-685

aslo for those unfamiliar with how it all works:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ketotifen-mech1.gif  

Thread Information