Thread: Zyban And Roids

BullDogg20 is offline Member

Zyban And Roids

JUST DID MY FIRST SHOT OF SUST TODAY AND WINNEY,
    BUT I AM LOOKING TO QUIT SMOKING, I WAS PLANNING ON TAKING ZYBAN TO HELP ME QIT SMOKING, DOES ANY BODY KNOW IF THIS WILL SCREW ME UP!!!!

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Good question, BullDog . . .

First, I congratulate you on the decision to quit smoking. I encourage blah-blah-blah, since you obviously know the dangers blah-blah-blah.

Seriously, bro, I don't want to seem facetious; I had my last cigarette (as a 3-pack-a-day smoker) two weeks ago, so if you find yourself in a bitch-ass mood, drop me a line - we can meet halfway (say, Syracuse) and kick the shit out of each other.

[By the way, I'm doing it with lots of Nicorette gum and the Nicotrol inhaler (which, unfortunately, was not available in Canada last time I checked). So far, no withdrawal symptoms and my mood actually is pretty cool.]

Anyway, to Zyban . . .

Fairly effective, from what I've read. However, the asnwer to your question is possibly. The prescribing information for Zyban indicates that there is some risk of seizures, which can be exacerbated as follows:

Clinical situations: Circumstances associated with an increased seizure risk include, among others, excessive use of alcohol; abrupt withdrawal from alcohol or other sedatives; addiction to opiates, cocaine, or stimulants; use of over-the-counter stimulants and anorectics; and diabetes treated with oral hypoglycemics or insulin .

Concomitant medications: Many medications (e.g., antipsychotics, antidepressants, theophylline, systemic steroids and treatment regimens (e.g., abrupt discontinuation of benzodiazepines) are known to lower seizure threshold.

Note the inclusion of systemic steroids. The literature does not note specific AS or cycle-related drugs so I'm unable to speculate on the impact of specific drugs on or by Zyban or whether the risk is higher with one type of systemic steroids as opposed to another (as in anabolic steroids versus corticoteroids, etc.).

The entire U.S. prescribing information for Zyban can be found at http://www.glaxowellcome.com/pi/zyban.pdf (it's a PDF file, so you'l need Adobe Acrobat on your computer to view it). As with most prescribing literature, it's technical in nature, but will give you a very thorough background on the drug.

For more basic information (keeping in mind that much of it will be manufacturer hype), they have a web site at http://www.zyban.com.

Finally, keep in mind that Zyban is not a magical, mystical solution to giving up butts. Zyban is simply another name for Wellbutrin, an anti-depressant. (AS users may recognize the technique of marketing the same drug under two different names for two different conditions as being similar to the marketing of Proscar and Propecia, which are also the same as each other. But one is marketed for enlarged prostate, and the other for hair loss.) So the question is whether you really want to be using an anti-depressant to give up smoking. The statistics say that it is more effective than some other methods, but because of the nature of the drug, it should still be used under medical supervision.

(By the way, I looked at Zyban myself and went so far as to compare the prices between Zyban and Wellbutrin, which are exactly the same, right down to the recommended dosages. I found the prices to be alike, at least here in the States. But based on the implications and hassles of using an anti-depressant, which should be titrated/tapered up and down, I decided to go with a good ol' nicotine supplement.)

Again, let me encourage you, dude - it can be done. I smoked longer than you've been alive - and despite the hype, I've got to tell you that I actually like smoking. (Alright, it's the intellectual appeal . . . Cigarette in one hand, glass of brandy in the other, while wearing a courderoy sport coat with patches on the elbows and quoting heavily from C.S. Lewis. Or maybe it's the James Bond image: butt in one hand, vodka martini in the other - shaken, not stirred, of course. And finally, the macho image of the Marlboro Dude, blah-blah-blah.) Remember, bro, you are not alone.

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    great reply TNT, and i really appreciate it. maybe i should quit after my cyclle then because along with high test lvl and the mood swings and quiting smoking just might make me umbarable to be around. LOL any ways also that shit about seizurs, hey i dont wanna risk that maybe nicotene gum is the key

Layed is offline New Member
    I was gonna reply but TNT said it all and then some, I took wellbutnin and it worked

Thread Information