mrmanners is offline Junior Member

Negative side effects of melatonin

I tried Melatonin while working a nightshift to get some sleep during the day. The stuff sure worked for me: Within the hour I would feel groggy and then I would pass out just fine and have a good nights sleep dreams and all.

The problem was that I started to feel a bit more anxious than usual while using melatonin.

Melatonin is a hormone that occurs naturally in the body. It's involved in the body's biological clock, which affects your sleep cycle and your body's production of other hormones. There are also claims that melatonin supplements slow the aging process, protect the body from toxins, boost the immune system, and prevent cancer; sounds good, hu?

People taking melatonin supplements have reported side effects that include headache, daytime sleepiness, drowsiness, dizziness, stomach cramps, and irritability. I, however, felt that something was a little bit "off" while taking it. So I chose to discontinue using the stuff.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar with it?

MRM

asymmetrical1 is offline Respected Member
    i noticed that it did not help me sleep at all after 2 weeks of use....even taking 3 at a time

thick one is offline Associate Member
    i personally can't stand that sheet. it gives me wicked dreams and within 4 hours i am up and unable to fall back asleep. i've been working nights for years and what works for me is benadryl (tylenol pm) 5o mg or 2 tabs. if you really want to get to sleep a little cheech and chong with the benadrly does wonders!

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    I love melatonin, within half an hour of taking it i am out like a light, That stuff practically knocks me unconcious, and i have the craziest dreams too. Personally I find the stuff works really good.

not2bigyet is offline Member
    I just started taking it 2 days ago, and it seems to be working so far...crazy dreams though I can't comment on the sides however, and would be curious to hear from some more people...

Rubabanman is offline Junior Member
    I've never heard of anyone having any of those side affects. Melatonin is a very safe product and besides bad dreams (ussually from a relativley high dose) I think the chances of sides are extremley small.

sepjuice is offline Anabolic Member
    ima big melatonin fan, kinda wonder if i can sleep without it?havent stop using it for a long while...

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    I'm gonna try it. I'll keep you posted:-)

quebecbulk is offline Associate Member
    i love that stuff, 2 mg and its lights out for me....i do as well get a bit anxious on it but i am an anxiety prone sob.

Thread Information