Socio is offline Associate Member

Expired Insulin Date Vets Pls Help.

Hi Guys how you doin?
    I have some short acting Insulin in my fridge from a familia member under medication , but no longer needs it ... now i dont want to use it now but it says do not use 30 days after opening ..... it expired 3 days ago .... well not expired but there was a sticker put on it and hand written was the date not to use it after i was thinking of using it next year....
    will it still be ok , if not next yr .. how long u think its good for ... seems a waste to throw it away

bump

IwillGrow! is offline Junior Member
    You can safely use it but remember maybe you must try to upper the dosage a bit. Just make sure to maintain you insulin at 5-8 degrees.

viper is offline Member
    socio.....

a bottle of insulin cost about $20.....
    you can go to any pharmacy and just ask for humulin-r (hope that is the type you are talking about, because it is one of the very few that will do you any good).......

30-60-90 days after it is opened and refridgerated is fine to use....it will not be denatured......1 year from opening and it is not useable or at least desirable......

for $20 worth of stuff....trash it and get some new when the time comes....the pharm will even sell the 29 guage syringes to you with no questions....

IwillGrow! is offline Junior Member
    Viper is right max 3months after 1st use, not 1 year!

In australia its not as easy as just going to the pharmacy and getting some insulin ..... also its Actrapid not Humulin R the difference is Humulin is extracted from Pigs ... and Actrapid is synthetic.

Thread Information