G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!

I have high blood pressure!

Well this is official too, I have high blood pressure! Dammit. Anyways I was at my friends house and had her take my blood pressure, she's an RN (Registered Nurse). Well she said that I guess it's not bad, I only remember the top one, she said that it was at 150 something, and that past 140 was bad.

I think it was 150 something over 90 something. I didn't want to get into much detail, I just wanted to change the suject after that announcement!

Anyways, anyone have dealings with high blood pressure?

kizer_soce is offline Retired Moderator
    Someone was asking about this before, I posted alot of information on it. I know hawthorne berry exract is supposed to be good for HPB

Txlonghorns is offline New Member
    I take Garlique..You can get it from GNC or any wal-mart..Dropped my BP from 180/105 to 150/80....which is good for my size. Remember that if you are bulkier than the "average" man your bp will be higher than 140/80. To be honest few of my patients that are larger than the "average" size (5'10....170lbs) has a bp of 140/80. Dont worry about your systolic number unless it gets up in the mid 200 range. The Diastolic number is the one that is going to kill you. If your diastolic gets over 100 for 3 consecutive readings on 3 seperate occasions, then go to the doctor and get some prescription meds to bring it down.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Well I had HBP! Well I thought!

Turns out my arm is larger than the average bear! Duh..
    And if they don't use the larger sized cuff it will show an elavated reading every time. Now when they put the right cuff on I'm normal.....well except for the Pipes!

MJ

JuicedHound is offline New Member
    So u took one reading and thats it? Your BP will vary alot sometimes from one extreme to another. Go to a sporting goods store and buy yourself a good BP monitor. If your doing the gear its a good idea anyways. You need to have many readings to really determine whether you have a problem or not.

viper is offline Member
    JH hit it on the head...one reading doesn't constitute hypertension..you said it was 150/90, if you're on cycle that is'nt to bad...i wouldn't put you on anything except a diet change for those readings....check your bp every day for a week and see the average......

was the nurse that checked your pressure "hot".....that could be your problem (LOL)....viper

HvyLftr3 is offline New Member
    well i am new to the boards but not new to HBP... all of the forums are true large cuff and many readings are the key, alon with exercise and diet but i will try hawthorn thing. also try to take it laying down and not under any stress and no activity.
    Hvylftr3

Thanks for the advice fellaz, and Viper, no she wasn't hot bro. She's one of the girls that I'm dating's sister, I don't really have an interest in her.

If she was hot I'd probably be in trouble again for trying to nail both sisters, it's not a pretty situation but I seem to always be getting into stupid ass shit like that!

Ice_cold is offline Junior Member
    bro,mine is always 150/84 all the damn time and I have never done a cycle yet. wonder if it will hit the roof when I do the cycle?

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool The definitive guide . . .

Well, gang, I could launch anotehr epistle here, but the good ol' Merck Manual - Home Edition has, IMO, the best guide to blood pressure issues I've seen. (The Merck Manual is the diagnostic guide used by all physicians. The home edition of the manual has everything in the original, but it's written in a more understandable lay language.)

You'll find everything you need to know at http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual_home/sec3/25.htm. It's well worth reading - even if you don't understand all of it, you'll get a broad enough picture to understand the basics.

Main points: (1) "High" blood pressure comes in different clasifications. If it's mild (which is a technical term based on specific numbers), doctors will often try alternatives to medication - such as diet and lifestyle adjustments. But, if it's consistently elevated, it's time to do something about it. (2) There is a veritable shitload of drugs that can be used to treat high blood pressure, and the selection of which broad type of medication to use is based on everything from age to race to other predisposing conditions. (3) It is treatable - no big whoop. But you do need to have it evaluated by a physician. In other words, it's easy to take care of the problem, but you'll have big-time hassles if you don't take care of it.

Yes, some anabolic steroids can cause hypertension, and once a cycle ends, chances are that it will return to normal. But you shouldn't assume that AS use is the sole cause of high blood pressure - it could be one of many causes, and you don't want to allow your AS use to mask another cause.

By the way, I've deveoped a somewhat personal interest in this over the past few weeks . . . I noticed that my systolic B.P. was higher than normal (like, averaging in the 160's) but, coincidentally, I also gave up smoking a couple of weeks ago. I've also been using nicotine supps (Nicorette gum combined with a Nicotrol inhaler) to make that task easier (which it has), and obviously, they have a tendency to kick up the B/P. No sweat - I called my doctor, reported the findings of several days, and went on an ACE inhibitor (one type of B/P drug). Like I said, easy to treat, and I've had no side effects. When I'm ready to stop the nicotine supps, I'll probably be able to cut, if not discontinue, the B/P drugs. But it is worth treating, since high B/P greatly increases one's cardiac and stroke risk.

You guys and guy-ettes already know the drill I've gone through many times - see a doctor, and be up front about your AS use. It takes an in-person exam by a medical professional to make an accurate diagnosis, and you have to look at the nig picture in determining if there is a relationship between high B/P and anything else you're doing (ranging from smoking to AS use to lack of exercise to obesity to family history, ad infinitum, ad nauseam). And it's nuts not to have it checked out since it's so easy to get B/P under control.

End of sermon.

P.S. JuiceHound made an excellent suggestion. Get yourself a blood pressure monitor - it will cost a few bucks for a decent one, but it's worth it, and it will last you a long time. I got a good one for about $60 a couple of years ago at WalMart - an A&D unit that does pulse as well as B/P. And obviously, it's come in real handy recently.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Re: Re: The definitive guide . . .

Originally posted by sk*
    that's all folks!

TNT has spoken
    Sheesh, I'm starting to feel like the dude in the commercial for a financial firm. Someone asks him a question, and all ears lean toward him to hear the answer. (Eddie Murphy spoofed this brilliantly in Trading Places.)

Anyway, one more word . . . I happened to glance at a hard copy of the Merck Manual article on my desk and noticed a paragraph that made me want to comment further:

A doctor also looks for the cause of the high blood pressure, especially in a younger person, even though a cause is identified in less than 10 percent of people. The higher the blood pressure and the younger the patient, the more extensive the search for a cause is likely to be. The evaluation may include x-ray and radioisotope studies of the kidney, a chest x-ray, and examinations of blood and urine for certain hormones.

I think this underscores the importance of being up front with your doctor about AS use. If a young person (which I interpret here to mean someone who exhibits high blood pressure and who is younger than might normally be expected for hypertension) goes into a doctor's office with high B/P and doesn't mention that he or she uses AS, the doctor is likely to order tests out the gazoo (or perhaps even up the gazoo) - tests that might not be necessary if an AS-related cause of the high B/P can esaily be identified.

The opposite argument could be made that if a doctor assumes that the cause of high B/P is AS, important tests might not be done. But most doctors should know which drugs are likely to have hypertensive side effects (and a little research on your own wouldn't hurt).

The main point, however, is not to be afraid of confiding AS use to a physician, especially if you have high blood pressure - it can help greatly at making an accurate diagnosis and determining the cause.

Now that's my final word. Really. I think . . .
    Last edited by TNT; 02-01-2002 at 07:34 AM.

INSTRUCTOR is offline New Member
    HBP. Got it.. on meds for life. Yep thats right. Showed up in '86, after a brief meeting with d-bol and test. Got off the stuff. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but I just decided to stay clean. BP now stabilized 135/85 on average . Somedays much better (130/75) and a few times as high as 90. Not blaming the roids, it could be hereditary. Take my own blood pressure regularly.

muscleup is offline Associate Member
    well i just checked mine today....and it was 140 over 81 so i guess thats pretty good....today was also the last day of my cycle...clomid in 2 weeks...

128 over 74 yesterday, been off Dbol for a week, maybe that's why?
    Last edited by G Child; 02-06-2002 at 04:13 PM.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Well man, don't sweat just one reading, I just got a check up from my doctor after a 2 week of this damn Broncitiuos. I was worried about my blood pressure cause everytime I put my arm into one of those cuffs, it would always show high. Well went to my doctor and they spaced me out over a 2 week period to check my blood pressure. I thought my blood pressure was very high, come to find out, that stress my main cause for my high blood presssure then on days that I wasnt' stressed, my blood pressure was normal. My point being don't just rely on one reading or even a few readings. Go see a doctor, my doctor just made me feel good, cause he said I was healthy as a horse. And that my blood pressure was extremely good for my age, and all my other chit was in check too. I was kinda shocked and excited, knowing that even though I am 30 I still have a clean bill of health. Goes to show what staying healthy and good exercise can do for ya! Dont' sweat it, go see a doctor let him determine if you have high blood pressure, I learned my lesson.

G-S Guest
    Mine has consistantly been 140/88 and I haven't even started my cycle yet. Should I pre-plan and get the what I need from the doc, or just monitor it closely when I start?

Thread Information