Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TexGuy23

Thread: Treating Acne during a steroid cycle (Effectively)

TexGuy23 is offline Banned

Talking Treating Acne during a steroid cycle (Effectively)

This is a topic that often comes up a lot. Being an acne sufferer for almost 7 years now, I have done a lot of extensive research which I would like to share with you all. I see of lot of people (many moderators and senior members) giving ill advice to users regarding acne treatment, such as washing your face with soap, and tanning beds, so maybe this should help some. The primary objective of treating and preventing acne is 1) To reduce the amount of bacteria that causes acne on the surface of the skin, 2) To reduce and control the sebum produced by your oil glands. By achieving both objectives you are decreasing the chances of clogging your pores and causing an inflammation, which later one will result in pimples.

OVER THE COUNTER DRUGS

Benzoyl Peroxide: This is the god father of all acne treatments. It is very effective and available over the counter as well as prescription forms. It comes in 2.5%, 5% and 10% strength. I personally would stay away from the 10%, especially if you have sensitive skin. Indeed studies have proven that a 2.5% BP strength work just as well, as the 10% strength without the peeling, irritation and dryness that often comes with it. It is very effective in drying out existing pimples and preventing future breakouts. It is also anti septic and very effective in killing out bacteria. BP also has anti inflammatory action over the skin. If you have mild acne (aka Acne Vulgaris) I would try this first and see where it goes. DO NOT SUN TAN OR USE TANNING BEDS WHILE ON BP. Exposure to UV lights along with BP use caused cancer in laboratory animals.

Salicylic acid: I personally do not like salicylic acid, but some people claim success with it. It is found over the counter in 2 forms: 1) Acne wash containing salicylic acid 2% - 0.5 %. 2) Leave on lotions, toners and pads containing SA 2% or 0.5%. It is very irritating and not recommended for those with sensitive skin. It is usually helpful as an on the spot treatment, since it can rapidly get rid of that red mark left by a pimple.

Tea Tree Oil: This is for those who can not tolerate BP or SA use. TT oil has a natural antibacterial effect on the skin as well as a mild drying effect as well. It is effective for those who can not tolerate the irritation and dryness when using Benzoyl peroxide problems.

PRESCRIPTION DRUGS:

Retinoids: It comes in several different brands with several different additives. Differin (adapaleno gel – close relative of retinoids), Retin A, Retin A micro, Tazorac, Vitamin A gel etc etc, are just the prime examples. My personal favorite is retin-A micro, since it is more gentle than Retin-A and tends to cause less peeling and dryness than others. It reduces the process on the skin causing keratinization, and therefore diminishes new acne lesions on the skin. It also causes the external area of the epidermis to peel, which long term can prove effective to get rid of blotches and red marks. Many bodybuilders are under the impression that they only need to use Retinoids once the cycle begins. This is a mistake. It takes 2-4 weeks for retinoids to start effectively reducing the process of keratinization (to kick in). Plan out your retinoid use 2-4 weeks b4 you start your cycle if you want to avoid acne. Retinoids may also be used on the back as well on the chest.

Oral and Topical Antibiotics: They reduce the number of bacteria and also have anti inflammatory action. The 2 topical AB are: Clindamycin (not my favorite) Erythromycin (terrific in my opinion). My personal fav is a cream called Benzamycin, which is a combination of BP and Erythromycin. It reduces the bacteria by 99% after only 48 hours of use (2 days). Benzamycin is stronger than retinoids and is recommended for the treatment of moderate acne, a more severe form of acne. It is extremely drying, and reduces the amount of sebum produced by the skin rather quickly. Oral antibiotics are Tetracycline, Erythromycin, Cotrimoxasole. They are very effective in clearing up acne quickly without the side effects of Accutane. The only problem is that a high percentage of users report that the clearing effects of their oral antibiotic fades over time. That is because the bacteria in the skin may become resistant and stop responding to the medication. Long term use of orals can also cause an yellowing of the teeth.

Accutane: Everyone heard about this one. It is the atomic bomb for the acne treatment. Some claim it to be an acne cure. Indeed, Accutane is so effective in treating acne it is the only approved drug to treat cystic acne (the most severe type of acne) and acne resistant to other treatments. Its main component is isotretinoin, which derivates from vitamin A. It works by reducing (dramatically) the amount of sebum produces by the oil glands. It actually shrinks the oil glands and such effect may be permanent for some people. It also inhibits the process of keratinization. Effective dosages for males are 80 – 120 mg a day. Females usually need lower dosages. It takes 2-4 weeks for the sebum to be reduced and 3-5 months for your acne to clear up. Acne is taken by courses that last anywhere from 4-6 months, depending on your derm. There are several problems with Accutane that you must be aware of b4 you decide to take it. 1) It is extremely expensive: An one month supply of Accutane, 60 tabs of 40 mg each costs between 400-600 US$ in the US. Some insurances may not cover it. 2) Many derms are reluctant to prescribe it: The FDA has recently stepped up restrictions to Accutane use due to its potential serious side effects. Users are required to sign into a national registry. You are also required to sign a consent form stating you understand the potential risks of Accutane therapy. This is just a big headache for derms, especially considering the risk of lawsuits, for that reason most derms won’t prescribe it unless your acne is really bad. 3) YOU MUST DO MONTHLY BLOOD TESTS: In 25% of users Accutane caused a dramatic and dangerous elevation of triglyceride levels, 15% developed a reduction in the HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) and 7% developed an increase in total cholesterol. If Accutane is not discontinued or steps are taking to address such problems, hepatitis may develop as well as signs of liver inflammation in 15% of users. You can address those problem easily by: Taking large amounts of Omega 3 Fish Oils – 5000 mg a day (to control your trigs), Milk Thistle (for the liver) and niacin (Vitamin B-3 – 500 mg a day) to control your cholesterol. Once you are done with your 4-6 month accutane course, it is wise to do a maintance regime, usually by taking 3 caps of 40 mg every week, in order to keep you clear for a longer time.

THINGS THAT DO NOT WORK FOR ACNE:

SUN TANNING AND TANNING BEDS: I recently got into a very heated and ugly argument with one of the moderators in another board over that subject. There seems to be a wide spread myth among bodybuilders that tanning seems to keep their acne under control. Let me tell you one thing: THIS IS NOT WISE!! While tanning may temporarily help dry up oiliness and give skin a more even appearance, it's not worth the short-term benefit. Unprotected tanning leads to premature aging and increases your risk for skin cancer. Plus, most acne treatments WILL make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and UV rays. UV rays also help worsen the process of keratinization of the skin with is one of the main causes of acne.

Washing your skin with soap and anti bacterial soaps: Bad Idea! First, by using anti bacterial agents you are increasing your chances of developing new strains of bacteria that are resistant to the anti bacterial agent. Second, those soaps are extremely drying to the skin. Drying up the skin through frequent washing is NOT the way to go. It may actually worsen acne long term, because your oil glands end up producing more sebum to compensate for the dry epidermis.

Avoid oily and fatty foods: There is absolutely no research to date that has shown an association between increased fat consumption and increased number of breakouts. As far as I know, the only element that can worsen acne is iodine.

One more thing: Always use a moisturizer. Acne treatments will usually dry up your skin and you always want to keep a balance of moisture and dryness.

Hope this helps some of you folks!
    BB14 likes this.

zx7racing is offline Senior Member
    good info bro- maybe post this in the spa for others to enjoy..

Consistency is offline Extraordinarily Exorbitant
    nice post.....

TexGuy23 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zx7racing
    good info bro- maybe post this in the spa for others to enjoy..

LOL! Good one!

bump

Fashioncore1 is offline Associate Member
    to add something new...i purchased some Sulfur soap 10% and alternate that with 5% BP soap 2x/week each. I have had significantly better results than from using BP alone. You find sulfur soap by searching for it on google or very cheap on ebay--like $2/bar. The BP soap costs like $6 at wal-mart or k-mart.

CASHUS7 is offline Junior Member
    I Too Have Long Studied The Casuses And Cures For Acne And You Are Right On Brother

Fashioncore1 is offline Associate Member
    btw, many people do claim that tanning beds cure acne. In my circumstances, the tanning beds do not cure acne, but they help to conceal it. A well tanned body does not show nearly as much imperfections as a pale body with red spots.

Shortyrock13 is offline Associate Member
    Nice post!

dvest8 is offline Associate Member

Talking yup!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fashioncore1
    btw, many people do claim that tanning beds cure acne. In my circumstances, the tanning beds do not cure acne, but they help to conceal it. A well tanned body does not show nearly as much imperfections as a pale body with red spots.
    Took the words right outta my mouth

dvest8 is offline Associate Member
    Great post Text,sticky status in my book !!!!!!

ace ventura is offline Member
    bump

B5 was not mentioned btw
    Last edited by ace ventura; 01-13-2005 at 05:26 AM.

stec is offline Junior Member
    b5 and benzoyl p does wonders

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexGuy23
    Washing your skin with soap and anti bacterial soaps: Bad Idea! First, by using anti bacterial agents you are increasing your chances of developing new strains of bacteria that are resistant to the anti bacterial agent. Second, those soaps are extremely drying to the skin. Drying up the skin through frequent washing is NOT the way to go. It may actually worsen acne long term, because your oil glands end up producing more sebum to compensate for the dry epidermis.
    I donno... I find one thing that has wiped out acne for me completely with not a single pimple both during cycle and in PCT has been to shower using Dawn dishwashing liquid in place of standard bar soap. During cycle my bed sheets become an oily filthy mess in just a day or two when using bar soap. My sheets stay nice and clean with no oily build up when I shower daily using dawn.

Someone said to moisturize because dawn works too well to cut the greese and dry out your skin... I tried moisturizer, it caused a massive outbreak of acne. Used the dawn to get rid of the moisturizer as well as skin oil, all my skin goes totally acne free, not a single pimple and can remain totally free of acne all thru my entire 1 gram a week cycles and PCT's so long as I stay on dawn dish washing liquid in place of bar soap. Also other brands of dish soap simply do not work as well as joy and dawn, this is primarily because of the oil breaking down properties of joy and dawn, plus I think these soaps are more effective at getting down into the pores of your skin and washing out dirt, grit and other things that can clog up pores. You literally come out of the shower squeeky clean and overall "cleaner" then bar soap does for you.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntpadude
    I donno... I find one thing that has wiped out acne for me completely with not a single pimple both during cycle and in PCT has been to shower using Dawn dishwashing liquid in place of standard bar soap. During cycle my bed sheets become an oily filthy mess in just a day or two when using bar soap. My sheets stay nice and clean with no oily build up when I shower daily using dawn.

Someone said to moisturize because dawn works too well to cut the greese and dry out your skin... I tried moisturizer, it caused a massive outbreak of acne. Used the dawn to get rid of the moisturizer as well as skin oil, all my skin goes totally acne free, not a single pimple and can remain totally free of acne all thru my entire 1 gram a week cycles and PCT's so long as I stay on dawn dish washing liquid in place of bar soap. Also other brands of dish soap simply do not work as well as joy and dawn, this is primarily because of the oil breaking down properties of joy and dawn, plus I think these soaps are more effective at getting down into the pores of your skin and washing out dirt, grit and other things that can clog up pores. You literally come out of the shower squeeky clean and overall "cleaner" then bar soap does for you.
    thanks mate

vestax is offline Member
    Tanning beds do help the acne as UV light causes the bacteria to die. However, it dries your skin out which will make you more prone to acne. I was tanning for a few months and my skin was perfect. The second I went off I broke out for a month it was horrible.

AustrianOAK14 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vestax
    Tanning beds do help the acne as UV light causes the bacteria to die. However, it dries your skin out which will make you more prone to acne. I was tanning for a few months and my skin was perfect. The second I went off I broke out for a month it was horrible.

were you just tanning on while you were on your cycle???

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    when i break out i run a very low dosage of accutane for a few weeks and it clears me right up.....

IMHO accutane isn't as dangerous as many claim. I run 20mg's/day for 2-3 weeks and im totally clear.....

im going to give this dawn dishwashing liquid method a try....
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

irish bulldog is offline Senior Member
    good post and what im looking for ,had ance now for a while.

Bertz is offline Associate Member
    nice post

have you researched vitamin b5 at all?
    i've been taking b5 2 grams a day for 10 days now, acne is a little better, and i've been washing with dawn for 4 weeks and its a little better from that but i havent seen any dramatic chagnes

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard
    when i break out i run a very low dosage of accutane for a few weeks and it clears me right up.....

IMHO accutane isn't as dangerous as many claim. I run 20mg's/day for 2-3 weeks and im totally clear.....

im going to give this dawn dishwashing liquid method a try....

i thought that accutane makes you break out the first couple of weaks then starts to clear you up. won't taking accutane durring a cycle just make things worse then?

Logan13 is offline Banned

Evening Primrose

I have used Evening Primrose for Cycle induced acne since '97. It kicks in after 2 days, clears the Acne up and keeps it gone.

-Logan13

niXon)( is offline Member
    ****ing acne is the anti christ, keep the thoughts coming....

1-Cent is offline Anabolic Member
    I've used everything listed there and a whole lot more, most will do something to reduce it but only Accutane will make me 100% clear, its not nearly as harsh as its portrayed here though... I never did any of that extra protect your liver with unproven vitamins, oils, etc. bs and my liver values were always in the low-normal range even when I did 70mg for 6 months. Just don't do it without Dr supervision, get the tests done monthly and nothing can go wrong, no need to self medicate, if they thought you needed additional liver protectants they'd be standard with the treatment...

Antibiotics are a waste of money from what I've seen and had experiance with, I've used all those plus about 2 other "-"cycline drugs. Tetracycline is by far the most worthless though, might as well pop some vitamins and hope for the best if you're looking at taking that crap.

If you don't want to go with Accutane just stick to OTC Oxypads and stuff like that, or ask your Dr about a topical cream, usualy a pharmacist will make one for you. And don't wash your face more than twice a day, itll just make your pours produce more oils, I've learnt that first hand.

Angelis is offline Banned
    Yeah I was looking for Accutane to give it a try the only one ive found so far is I*E but ive had bad only bad news ordering with that company im gonna go with AR-R from now on but they dont have accutane so im looking around for new place.

I dont want no pm's offering me sources I will report you to the Mods as sources... I will find it on my own

1-cent no opinion on B5?

Quote Originally Posted by Bertz
    1-cent no opinion on B5?
    Didn't work for me either, I took it for 4 months before/during my tren cycle anticipating acne, got acne pretty bad on my shoulders, back and chest. noticed no change, tossed it and started Accutane at a low dose of 20mg (perscribed) and it was gone within a month. Theres some different antibiotic that haven't tried yet that I'm going to next time just for the hell of it (thanks to free canadian health care), doc recommended it pretty highly so I'll post about it when I start and if I get results.

looks liek acutane for me... low dose helped?

whitehulk is offline Banned
    accutain is harsh on your liver i was on it for 3 weeks at 60mg ed and my liver values doubled what they are supposed to be. it does work really well tho.

Yeah the low dose was kids stuff compared to taking 70mg previously, obviously it wasn't quite as effective but it made my skin 100% clear by the end of it and I didn't get sides nearly as bad.

Some peoples livers just arent as tough as others, my liver values never budged while whitehulk's doubled as he said, so be sure to keep an eye on them...

Two4the$$ is offline Senior Member
    Two questions:

1. What are the thoughts on using Accutane DURING a cycle of injectibles?

2. Why doesn't anyone reference using a loofah? They remove dead skin, the benefits are obvious.

Thread Information