TMac48 is offline Junior Member

Cardio on an empty stomach...

I've always been told that doing cardio (or anything) on an empty stomach will cause the body to draw on muscle tissue for an energy source? The body prefers muscle tissue as opposed to fat because it is a better source doesn't it?

SportsMedVIP is offline Anabolic Member
    I know that's a common thought but I can't confirm it for you. I think this might get better answers on the diet forum or somewhere else.

Joe Rilla is offline Junior Member
    I have read in many places that for fat burning purposes it is best to run as soon as you wake up. Your blod sugar levels are normal and you will begin burning fat alot faster. I dont know where you heard that about eating muscle but I dont think that is correct. Besides most people would rather be lean and slightly smaller as opposed to big and bulky. just my opinion

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    im morning u got no food in u stomach so da 1st thing u burn in fat, whereas at night when u do cardio u got food in ur stomach that ur gonna burn off first b4 start burning fat
    Last edited by Gear; 04-05-2004 at 09:42 PM.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    i just read a cutting thread int he diet forum..... they said to run on an empty stomach

Dee-termined is offline Associate Member
    Plus by doing cardio first thing on an empty stomach you haven't eaten any carbohydrates for your body to immediatly use for energy so it has no choice but to turn to your stored body fat which it will go to first since it is relatively easier to break down then muscle. You don't want to over do it though, I find 20 minutes of intense cardio, three times a week is enough. I also don't eat for an hour after to burn more fat, since eating right away will just supply your body instead of making work from fat.

SaTyR is offline Member
    Every morning on an empty stomach , 45minutes at 70percent of your max. heartrate . You will be loosing pounds like it was nothing .

actually you burn more fat during low intensity aerobic excercise, at higher intensity you are burning more carbs essentially. But you will not burn as many kcals doing low intensity. You want to record your daily caloric intake and make sure your are expending more energy/burning more cals than you eat. Do not train on completely empty stomach, take a shake with water at least, I would also say I tiny bit of a complex carb. When you don't eat you burn fat yes, doing cardio but you burn muscle as well, that's the bitch of cutting.

Whatcha gonna do.....

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    I've always believed in low intensity cardio on an empty stomach. Just do 40-45 mins 50-70% of your max heart rate. Just remember 2 things:

1) Cortisol levels are at their highest in the morn before breakfast. (so make sure you keep the intensity LOW)

2) you're not doing cardio for the immediate effect your metabolism is elevated for 6 hours after the cardio is done, so 2x a day is best.

Rubabanman is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the hulkster
    actually you burn more fat during low intensity aerobic excercise, at higher intensity you are burning more carbs essentially. But you will not burn as many kcals doing low intensity.
    True... If you are comparing Kcal on a minute by minute ratio, higher intensity does burn more. But, if we are agreeing that you can do lower intensity longer, and it does burn more fat, then you have more potential for fat burning with the lower intensity.

If you are going to do it in the morning drink a protein shake before you go, and eat a good carb+protein meal when you come home. This will insure for adequate recovery of glycogen stores witch will in turn allow your body to stop glycogenolysis of the muscle tissue.

Rubabanman is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee-termined
    Plus by doing cardio first thing on an empty stomach you haven't eaten any carbohydrates for your body to immediatly use for energy so it has no choice but to turn to your stored body fat which it will go to first since it is relatively easier to break down then muscle. You don't want to over do it though, I find 20 minutes of intense cardio, three times a week is enough. I also don't eat for an hour after to burn more fat, since eating right away will just supply your body instead of making work from fat.
    Acctually if you allow for adequate time for insulin levels to drop after a carb+prot meal (ussually 2-3 hours) your body will be in just as optimum a state for fat burning. Many people take caffiene before they go also, this makes your body burn even more fat for fuel, and also makes it resistant to insulin (good for fat burning).

Dee-termined is offline Associate Member
    I agree but after a nights rest and no consumption of carbs I find personally that the rate of body fat lost over a time period, say 3 months, is way greater then if I were to eat during the day and then wait 3 hours to do my cardio. Thats just been my personal experience.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    NEVER do ANYTHING on an EMPTY STOMACHE. I dont know where you guys are getting your training and diet information. That is the worst thing you can do for your body. Any activity without some form of energy to nurish the body is just asking for health risks. Especially just waking up in the morning and doing extensive cardio without some form of food. Eat an apple or orange. If you feel a piece of fruit will cause you to get fat, well, you have bigger problems to worry about than just AM cardio.

Id rather be big and bulky rather than lean and cut. But being lean and cut all my life is like the grass being greener on the other side. <--For whoever suggested MOST people would prefer lean and cut to big and bulky.

toolman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    NEVER do ANYTHING on an EMPTY STOMACHE. I dont know where you guys are getting your training and diet information. That is the worst thing you can do for your body. Any activity without some form of energy to nurish the body is just asking for health risks. Especially just waking up in the morning and doing extensive cardio without some form of food. Eat an apple or orange. If you feel a piece of fruit will cause you to get fat, well, you have bigger problems to worry about than just AM cardio.

Id rather be big and bulky rather than lean and cut. But being lean and cut all my life is like the grass being greener on the other side. <--For whoever suggested MOST people would prefer lean and cut to big and bulky.
    Bermich, although we agree on everything, I disagree with you here. Cardio is best done first thing in the am, low intensity and an empty stomach. All the research as well as my own experince make it the best way to cut fat.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Cardio on an empty tank is not catabolic. However, not feeding your body the correct nutrients in the right amounts is.

Thread Information