ManzNumero1 is offline Member

weightlifters Migraine

has anyone ever been in the gym, put up heavy weight and all of a sudden came up with the biggest migraine ever and wanted to puke. i did 2 weeks ago, i still cant do 5 pushups without it coming back, just wondering if anyones had the same feeling and how long before they got back into the gym lifting.

TRE
    TRE is offline Anabolic Member
    Got the same thing once. I was out for 6 months to let it heal. My problem is I messed up the muscle that runs in the back of my neck. I got cat scans done I was in so much pain. I was puking for a week and they had to medicate me.

Dee-termined is offline Associate Member
    Yes I've had it happen and it sucks. Let me guess your in your 20's. It's called a vascular migraine and they are not that uncommom for guys in this age group. My neurologist told me they can come all at one time in your life, say over six months to a year, or if your really unlucky you get to take a pill everyday for the rest of your life. Mine ended in a spinal tap before the neurologist told me what was up. Lets hope yours will leave. I had a bunch all within six months, and then haven't had one for about two years now. knock on wood!!

TRE
    TRE is offline Anabolic Member
    same hear its been a couple years now. I lost all my weight and couldn't even hold my breath without the migranes coming back.

Dee-termined is offline Associate Member
    I tried to "give it to my girlfriend" when I had them and I almost passed out, not in a good way, and no she wasn't a boring lay.

sore24/7 is offline Associate Member
    I have this at least once a week ,real bad. During heavy work outs or even right after a work out. I'll go to pick something up off the ground and it fricken feels like my heads going to explode. Someone told me it could be high blood pressure kicking in too.

yea it just sucks cause i was going hard for a while in the gym, now it all just stops, cant do anything, i do a push up and it is the worst pain , every day.

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Realize that when you are lifting heavy weights that you will increase your blood presure during sets. This can cause one to burst blood vessels in the brain and basically have little tiny mini strokes that cause the death of some neurons. Now some even go so far to say that it does impact cognitive function in some people though that is probably a little bit of a stretch. This could be part of the reason--that is, vessels bursting and high blood pressure.

The beat thing about this is there is no way around it. Get so excited to start a heavy workout and BAMMM!!! IT HITS AND RUINS THE WHOLE TRAINING SESSION!! Like dee termined ,said you cant even bang the old lady when you get home. The head hurts too bad.

so would the best thing be to take off for a while, or bust it out and take the pain, i mean can it get worse by working when it still hurts

Speaking for myself lifting is impossible during these episodes. And I have been taking aspirin during workouts. NOT TYLENOL , ASPIRIN. Aspirin thins the blood. reduces b.p. a little. It has helped a little definitely

bouya_ak is offline Junior Member
    I had that once, I went to the doc didn't do shet........went to the chiopractor and was better the next day, my atlas was out of place and pinching a nerve....I couldn't even lay pipe for a while or even a push up with out almost passing out

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bouya_ak
    I had that once, I went to the doc didn't do shet........went to the chiopractor and was better the next day, my atlas was out of place and pinching a nerve....I couldn't even lay pipe for a while or even a push up with out almost passing out
    i dont know anything about chiropractics but "your atlas was out of place" sounds funny. Kinda like you needed to harness your chi

NJou812 is offline Associate Member
    I've had migraines most my life....always get them after a big workout. They suck. I can't see thought blind spots, have to take medication thats way too $$ and don't get me started on the pain that feels like a drill on the skull for 8 hours.
    Training till failure is what does it for me (which sucks because I love training hard) especially heavy squats.
    I've heard that the increased BP when training in a high intensity fashion can trigger migraines. I also know I can't have a coffee with in 4 hours of a workout or I'll get a migraine for sure.

Just make sure you get some medication, and take it as soon as you feel it coming on. It helps with the brutal migraine pain.

okiecocker is offline Junior Member
    O man I feel your pain. I used to get migraines all the time (weekly), and had to take Imitrex injections which had horrible side effects also. I still get them, just not as often. When I lift u can see all sorts of veins in my forehead pop out... everyone thinks my head is gonna explode...lol. So you know all sorts of pressure is up there in your head when your lifting. Wish I could help ya alot more... Go see your doc. If your lucky they'll get u some Demerol or something along those lines to help you out w/ the pain. At least it'll help knock u out.

J*U*icEd is offline Anabolic Member
    i ****ed up my neck doin shoulder shrugs....and man did my head hurt when i lifted for the next couple weeks....**** i couldn't even sleep witout wakin up wit a pounding migraine....take a week or two off....see how you feel.....go light when you get back to liftin and everything should be fine!!

Thread Information