McBain is offline Member

Bit offtopic but I trust you guys, need info from boys who have been put on ritalin

Just wondering experiences from any bros who've been put on ritalin before. I am worried about its catabolic effects and also other health effects like effects on my heart. I know it can cause sleeplessness, anxiety if taken in high dosages etc. but I'd like to hear some experiences or any bros with info. I searched pubmed but didn't find too much that was helpful. Right now I'm on 5-10mg daily. I'm considering only taking it on days where I really need to get stuff done. I'm also worried about building up a tolerance to the stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I know this may not be in the right section but I trust you bros. Also I know no recreational drug posts, and some use ritalin recreationally but that is not the case with me.

Thanks bros, McBain

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    I was on it back when I was a teenager, just to help me study in school and probally need it for college. I never had any side effects though.

McBain is offline Member
    What dosages were you on, how often (like every day, 5 days per week) and how long total were you taking it? Were you bodybuilding back then and did you notice significant effects on your growth? So far I've seen some appetite supression at 10mg daily, at 5mg I didn't really notice too much appetite supression.

McBain is offline Member
    ^

McBain is offline Member
    bump

animal013 is offline Junior Member
    McBain-

I started taking ritalin about 2 years ago, after I was diagnosed with ADD. BTW, I'm 21 y.o., and am in college. I believe that ADD/ADHD is the only reason that ritalin is prescribed, so I'm assuming this is the case with you. It sounds like you're most concerned with the negative side effects of ritalin. I have definitely experienced some problems- anxiety, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, even some sexual problems- but for the most part, they have reduced in severity as my body has become accustomed to taking it. Oh yeah, I take up to 60mg a day, depending on the situation. I'm supposed to take 56mg a day, in a time-release preparation called Concerta, and I have a script for immediate-release 5mg that I can use in the evening to postpone the crash period if I have something important to do. Some days I'll take 20mg, 60mg, or none at all. I have a rule that I don't take it after, say, 6:30pm, so it doesn't keep me awake.

As far as bodybuilding goes, I worked out, off and on, for the last 5 years. Through that, I've had 3 knee surgeries, so I haven't been able to make consistent gains. But starting this past January, about 5 months after the most recent surgery, I re-dedicated myself to working out and went from about 160, 11%bf (guess on the bf%), to 192, 7%bf, all while I was taking ritalin (NO JUICE- not yet, anyway). From this, I would assume that ritalin is not very catabolic, at least not for me. And with your dose, I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Just give it a try for a while. Taking drugs like ritalin, and other CNS drugs for depression, anxiety, and the like, hell, even AAS, and recreational drugs for that matter, should all be evaluated with respect to QUALITY OF LIFE. If the benefits outweigh the side effects, then stick with it. But if not, stop. But definitely take the time to consider WHY you're taking a drug, how well it is serving that purpose, and what parts of your life suffer as a result.

Sorry to be so long-winded. I just feel pretty strongly about ritalin, b/c its really helped me to turn my life around in the last few years. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Kev

djdjdjddjon is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Kev013
    McBain-

I started taking ritalin about 2 years ago, after I was diagnosed with ADD. BTW, I'm 21 y.o., and am in college. I believe that ADD/ADHD is the only reason that ritalin is prescribed, so I'm assuming this is the case with you. It sounds like you're most concerned with the negative side effects of ritalin. I have definitely experienced some problems- anxiety, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, even some sexual problems- but for the most part, they have reduced in severity as my body has become accustomed to taking it. Oh yeah, I take up to 60mg a day, depending on the situation. I'm supposed to take 56mg a day, in a time-release preparation called Concerta, and I have a script for immediate-release 5mg that I can use in the evening to postpone the crash period if I have something important to do. Some days I'll take 20mg, 60mg, or none at all. I have a rule that I don't take it after, say, 6:30pm, so it doesn't keep me awake.

As far as bodybuilding goes, I worked out, off and on, for the last 5 years. Through that, I've had 3 knee surgeries, so I haven't been able to make consistent gains. But starting this past January, about 5 months after the most recent surgery, I re-dedicated myself to working out and went from about 160, 11%bf (guess on the bf%), to 192, 7%bf, all while I was taking ritalin (NO JUICE- not yet, anyway). From this, I would assume that ritalin is not very catabolic, at least not for me. And with your dose, I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Just give it a try for a while. Taking drugs like ritalin, and other CNS drugs for depression, anxiety, and the like, hell, even AAS, and recreational drugs for that matter, should all be evaluated with respect to QUALITY OF LIFE. If the benefits outweigh the side effects, then stick with it. But if not, stop. But definitely take the time to consider WHY you're taking a drug, how well it is serving that purpose, and what parts of your life suffer as a result.

Sorry to be so long-winded. I just feel pretty strongly about ritalin, b/c its really helped me to turn my life around in the last few years. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Kev
    excellent post...

massmaker is offline Junior Member
    i too have taken ritilan... i took it for a while in highschool and i hated the stuff... if your only taking 5 to 10mgs you should be ok i had to work my way up to over 40mgs because thats what the doc said i needed because of my size.. as far as athletics are concerened it killed me in track added too much time on to my sprint races. in the class room i felt like i could pass out all the time and like i was extremely drugged up. so with your dosages it will depend on how your body will handle it obviously for Kev013 it worked wonders it just goes to show you how different people reacte different to different things... give it a shot and let us know how you progress.

McBain is offline Member
    Thanks for the advice bros good food for thought

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    McBain,

I took ritalin for the first time (SR) the beginning of last summer. 20 mg, but there wasn't many sides, but it didn't last long at all. My doc moved me to ritalin la 20 mg, and it was a horrible experience. It would help the symptoms, but I would have mood swings, and it would make me feel really shitty throughout the day. When I got out to cali, my new doc put me on Wellbutrin SR for the ADD/Adhd. It made me feel more motivated, but it didn't help with the add symptoms. I felt like I was motivated, but still unable. I then talked my doctor into letting me use adderal xr, and that's what I'm sticking with. It is extremely effective for me, without any sides (other than appetite supression). I have never had sleeping probelms with the stimulants, regardless of the fact that I have suffered from chronic insomnia for over 1.5 years. Anyways, whatever you choose to do, I wish you luck. It's pretty tough to find a drug that works well for you, but just remember not to settle for something that doesn't work well for you.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Go to the book store and look it up in a Medical Reference book. Most of these books will have an Adverse Reaction section for every drug listed. One book worth looking at is the Merck Medical Desk Reference (I think that is what it is called). You don't have to buy the book - just thumb through it and look up Ritalin and see what the adverse effects are... or what the direct effects to the body are period.

I was planning on hitting up the book store soon and if I do I will look it up for you too.

Otherwise consult your physician [if it was prescribed to you] about how it effects your training goals. And if their is an adverse effect you can ask about other options. If the doc says "Well it shouldn't" ... tell him/her to find out - it's his frickin' job. If the Doc gives you a run about answer, find another walking around that looks yolked!

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I dont know why you got prescribed ritalin but i think the doctors sometimes give away the pills to quickly.
    There are other ways.

Are you sure you need them?

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    Mcbain, I forgot to mention, if your taking this for adult add/adhd TRY OTHER DRUGS. Ritalin is probably one of the worst for adult add treatment. I have read it many diff places, and I have learned from experience. Talk to your doctor, tell him that ritalin is for children, and to think of something more effective. I recommend you read up on concerta (12 hr release), adderall xr (10 hr release), if you really must, ritalin (sr), or even wellbutrin if your symptoms are chemically induced.

samoth is offline Member
    Ritalin and Adderall will have very little effect towards lifting/diet if only taken in 5-10mg/day. May surpress appetite and effect sleeping patterns when you first start, but those will subside shortly. I do not suggest Wellbutrin, thats more of an anti-depression thing, takes a while to kick in, and you have to keep taking it.
    And yes, you will build up a tolerance if you take it everyday, or for extended periods, but should not present a problem in your case, ie just being used as needed.
    These are excellent chemicals, but unless you have a job that is mentally exhausting or for school, I would personally suggest staying off it.

SkipFatter is offline New Member
    I have been on ritalin for sometime now, maybe 2 years. However I am prescribed it to keep my ass awake. I take 80mg a day, 40 in the am and 40 in the afternoon. I have no problems with it, I am 245 and trust me not ripped..lol I have used aas while on ritalin several times with no problem.

Ritalin works as a stimulant, but not always physical. Ritalin is designed to stimulate your central nervous system, so for those who have trouble staying focused due to ADD/ADHD it enables their brain to be stimulated to focus on the task at hand. In my case I was falling asleep all the time, while driving and everything so it stimulates me to focus on functioning normal.

Best of luck brother
    SKIP

McBain is offline Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. Basically I feel I do need it for studying/school. I mean I've gotten by before and I hate to sort of toot my own horn but I'm a pretty smart kid and shit comes quickly to me, so I've been able to get by on that in school in the past but now that I am getting past the requirements for college and getting into the classes for my major they are getting harder and requiring that I actually do all the reading (I usually never do the reading) and I just have SO much trouble reading lots of the stuff, even if I am interested in it.

I don't study everyday I only need to study prob eod at most except during exams, and if I just do long study sessions I can prob get away with just doing most on an average of 2-3 days per week. During class I can usually pay attention enough to get down whats important, I mean I'll zone out but Ill be writing down what the teacher is saying.

I am 21 so I am not a kid. I mean so far it's working pretty well for me. I haven't seen or felt any sides I was just worried about long term dependance (which I am sure depends on the person how frequently etc.). Plus I'm only in school about 1/2 the year so that will give me a lot of time off too.

Thread Information