QuadPower is offline Associate Member

Motorcycle accident - deltoid tear

I got into a motorcycle accident a couple of months back. It involved a lowside while coming into a turn! Wasn't hurt too bad, but have a right deltoid tear (with possible injury to the rotator cuff, my shitty insurance won't cover MRI, so no way of knowing).

My training was progressing well until that point, and I was getting ready for my next cycle which was due to begin about August-September. Now it's all f**ked. I'm currently in physical therapy, and went from lifting heavy in the gym to working with elastic bands in the therapy center :-(

I have taken two months straight off from the gym. Seems like my arm is back about 70%. I've recently also started working legs again (couldn't earlier since I couldn't hold on to the bar on my back).

My question is how do I get back, which lifts do I start with, which lifts do I avoid for some time, etc. The physical therapist though nice, doesn't seem to know much about which lifts I should perform in the gym. I thought maybe someone here would have more suggestions. Also, how long does a rotator cuff tear take to heal? Will it ever heal or am I just f**ked?

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It depends on how bad the tear is, really the only way to know for sure would be getting an mri. It may require surgery to be properly repaired.

xXthehulkXx is offline Associate Member
    hey bro. i had a motorcycle accident in feb. and also hurt my delt (left). i didn't think much of it and rehabed it for awhile. long story short i had rotator cuff surgery about 3 weeks ago. it was torn almost completely. don't be cheap about your health, sorry to put it that way, but pay out of pocket and save yourself the trouble like i did. if i would have gone earlier i would probably be back at the gym and work, instead of staying home not doing much. seriously dude, go get it checked out. just my .02.

QuadPower is offline Associate Member
    It does seem to be getting better though. I would say it's maybe 70% better now after 2 months. Is that any indication that it may not be a rotator cuff tear? I know I should get an MRI, and I'm trying hard to get my insurance to approve it, but just wondering what I can do in the meantime.

Anyway thanks for the inputs, I'll post back if/when I get an MRI done.

xXthehulkXx is offline Associate Member
    dude, i went from feb to june without mri because i was feeling better. it was still a torn rotator cuff. i think other muscles try to compensate and that's why it feels it's getting better. i was still benching 315 with a torn rotator cuff. just because you feel better is not a good sign.

ninjazx14 is offline Associate Member
    sorry to hear that. keep riding tho :P

Thread Information