Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Baba is offline Associate Member

biggest disappointment of all time in the NBA?

Who do you guy think is the biggest disappointment in the NBA?
    1) Kwame brown
    2) Micheal olowokandi
    3) Shawn Kemp
    4) Nick Anderson
    5) Vin baker
    6) penny Hadaway
    7) Grant Hill
    8) Jay williams

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba
    Who do you guy think is the biggest disappointment in the NBA?
    1) Kwame brown
    2) Micheal olowokandi
    3) Shawn Kemp
    4) Nick Anderson
    5) Vin baker
    6) penny Hadaway
    7) Grant Hill
    8) Jay williams

Kwame Brown - not finished yet. One year removed from Jordan is not enough. Give him one more year, then we'll talk.

As for the rest of the list, most of the guys on there accomplished a lot, but then declined rapidly, not really a disappointment. Plus their mostly from the late 90's. Get some history brother. Sam Bowie ring a bell?

GRIPS is offline Associate Member
    "LITTLE JORDAn" miner

scottie pippen without jordan...payton on the lakers...

Kato is offline Member
    the clippers

bubbathegut is offline Member
    i pick 1 - 8

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    2004 LA Lakers

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    Minute Bol

and mugsy boges...and larry johnson with that whole grandmama thing...

allsaucedup is offline Member
    how about sam bowie he was drafted in front of MIKE. vito how is mugsy bogues a disappointment he was not hyped up and he turned out to be a decent player

Baba is offline Associate Member
    I remember sam bowie, wasn't thinking that far back though. Yeah your right! The Lakers 2004 weren't really a disappointment they just thought they were in invincible. It pissed me off that they didn't even give the pistons their props. I glad the east won!

qccat is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba
    I remember sam bowie, wasn't thinking that far back though. Yeah your right! The Lakers 2004 weren't really a disappointment they just thought they were in invincible. It pissed me off that they didn't even give the pistons their props. I glad the east won!
    I agree, Pistons definately get props. It was always what the Lakers "didn't do" not what the Pistons did really well in this series. As far as the post---Grant Hill's injuries were a dissapointment, as he could've been a great player had he been able to stay in the game

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Jason Williams (white chocolate)
    Harold Miner
    JR Rider
    Marcus Camby
    Kerry Kittles
    Grant Hill
    Antoine Walker
    Dekembe Mutumbo
    Eric Montross

i say mugsy boges was a dissappointment because after he left charlotte he was a nobody as well as larry johnson...

how about every player to come out of duke except elton brand

and how the hell did get christian latner get on the origanal dream team still pisses me off isaah thomas should have been there

Rsox1 is offline Associate Member
    most of the guys on the list have had pretty decent carrers with the exception of j will and kwame brown, and that is still not written in stone, big dissapointments, ahhhhhh derick coleman ring a bell, maybe a little dee "no look" brown, and the king of all dissapointments in my mind pervice "out of service" ellison

Galoot67 is offline Junior Member
    Honestly I think today the whole NBA is a dissapointment. Its so slow, theres no defense, or intensity. I think the only good time is the playoffs. But I must say that the dunks are good. College basketball is where its at for me.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    chris mullin and christian latener, they were on the dream tream and both i think were huge disappoitments

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    ID definitely say grant hill. The guys always injured.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    how about anyone the nets drafted before the year 2000, yinka dare, ed obannon, rex walters

Fame is offline Junior Member
    This can be argued about all day, and im not even a knick fan ( think knick fans would agree), and i think A LOT of basketball people would agree...that Patrick Ewing was one of the biggest disapointments. Not that he was any worse than those guys on the list, but the fact that he was supposed to be the most dominant player ever at the time. He was projected to improve so much, and alot of analyst have said that he never was able to get the coaching at the nba level, and he really didnt improve that much. They still think that he needed to be given much better coaching and would have developed into something so much greater...he was dominant in college, and was a big man, so it wasnt all projection like some of the other guys, which i think makes it more of a disapointment...he was supposed to definitly bring them a title...none of those guys on that list , NONE were brought in to win a title...they were all projects, they werent really the best player in college and a player that everyone thought would dominate the game. I am taking the injured players out of it, because i dont think that counts as disapointment, i dont think that hill or hardaway qualify thats just unfortunate situations. Besides him, your list is full of all starts and players out of highschool, so i don tthink they qualify as disapointments....and its still too early to put the judgement out on Kwame, he has skills, and will be a good players. He and Eddie Currey still have time. Gotta give guys till they are about 26 before passing too much judgement, not everyone is Kobe bryant or tmac

The 'Candy man' however has always been a disapointment, but he was not ever as good as ewing before coming to the nba.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fame
    This can be argued about all day, and im not even a knick fan ( think knick fans would agree), and i think A LOT of basketball people would agree...that Patrick Ewing was one of the biggest disapointments. Not that he was any worse than those guys on the list, but the fact that he was supposed to be the most dominant player ever at the time. He was projected to improve so much, and alot of analyst have said that he never was able to get the coaching at the nba level, and he really didnt improve that much. They still think that he needed to be given much better coaching and would have developed into something so much greater...he was dominant in college, and was a big man, so it wasnt all projection like some of the other guys, which i think makes it more of a disapointment...he was supposed to definitly bring them a title...none of those guys on that list , NONE were brought in to win a title...they were all projects, they werent really the best player in college and a player that everyone thought would dominate the game. I am taking the injured players out of it, because i dont think that counts as disapointment, i dont think that hill or hardaway qualify thats just unfortunate situations. Besides him, your list is full of all starts and players out of highschool, so i don tthink they qualify as disapointments....and its still too early to put the judgement out on Kwame, he has skills, and will be a good players. He and Eddie Currey still have time. Gotta give guys till they are about 26 before passing too much judgement, not everyone is Kobe bryant or tmac

The 'Candy man' however has always been a disapointment, but he was not ever as good as ewing before coming to the nba.

amen.. the guy was the rookie of the year and never got a ring.. he was an okay player, way over hyped.

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    How can a dream teamer be over hyped? Ewing of all people. One of the 50 greatest NBA players in the last decade is over hyped? He would have won a title and maybe multiples had he not been in the league with Jordan. Keep in mind he did lead the Knicks over the Bulls in '95. I saw a couple names that are legitimately over rated. Ed Obannon is a definent. Yinke Dare is another. Sam Bowie may be the biggest disappointment in recent memory. Jaque Vaughn received a large amount of hype coming out of Kansas and has yet to contribute. Tyson Chandler has been a huge bust for Chicago being that they gave up Brand to get him. Although it has only been one year it is hard to say that Darco Milic was not a disaster. Selecting Darco before Melo was ridiculous at this stage in the game.

Above mentioned names who had/have credible careers that many in the NBA would love to have:
    Shawn Kemp (how can you forget the dominant days of the Rain Man. plus he was a dream teamer)
    Vin Baker (was an allstar selection multiple times and dream teamer in '00)
    Penny Hardaway (had tremendous success early in his career and has since become a solid role player. has averaged double figures for a decade)
    Grant Hill (you must of forgot that he did nearly match the Big O's numbers before injury. He was a dream teamer in '96)
    Antoine Walker (are you serious the guy averages nearly 20ppg and was arguably better than Paul Pierce before going to the talent filled Mav's)
    Dikembe Mutumbo (one of the most dominant defensive players of all time. A 4-time defensive player of the year nonetheless, plus he averages a double double still)
    Carlos Boozer, Shane Battier, Corey Maggette and Grant Hill (all have experienced success coming from Duke)
    Scottie Pippen (had a great years in 94-95 without Jordan plus averaged double figures in Portland besides he was a late round steal in the 87 draft)
    Derrick Coleman (albeit he was a first pick he still has averaged over 16ppg for the past 12+ years)
    Last edited by TheChosenOne; 07-04-2004 at 12:29 AM.

Immortal is offline Banned
    Considering being a number one pick, D Coleman sucks.

Fame is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    How can a dream teamer be over hyped? Ewing of all people. One of the 50 greatest NBA players in the last decade is over hyped? He would have won a title and maybe multiples had he not been in the league with Jordan. Keep in mind he did lead the Knicks over the Bulls in '95. I saw a couple names that are legitimately over rated. Ed Obannon is a definent. Yinke Dare is another. Sam Bowie may be the biggest disappointment in recent memory. Jaque Vaughn received a large amount of hype coming out of Kansas and has yet to contribute. Tyson Chandler has been a huge bust for Chicago being that they gave up Brand to get him. Although it has only been one year it is hard to say that Darco Milic was not a disaster. Selecting Darco before Melo was ridiculous at this stage in the game.

Above mentioned names who had/have credible careers that many in the NBA would love to have:
    Shawn Kemp (how can you forget the dominant days of the Rain Man. plus he was a dream teamer)
    Vin Baker (was an allstar selection multiple times and dream teamer in '00)
    Penny Hardaway (had tremendous success early in his career and has since become a solid role player. has averaged double figures for a decade)
    Grant Hill (you must of forgot that he did nearly match the Big O's numbers before injury. He was a dream teamer in '96)
    Antoine Walker (are you serious the guy averages nearly 20ppg and was arguably better than Paul Pierce before going to the talent filled Mav's)
    Dikembe Mutumbo (one of the most dominant defensive players of all time. A 4-time defensive player of the year nonetheless, plus he averages a double double still)
    Carlos Boozer, Shane Battier, Corey Maggette and Grant Hill (all have experienced success coming from Duke)
    Scottie Pippen (had a great years in 94-95 without Jordan plus averaged double figures in Portland besides he was a late round steal in the 87 draft)
    Derrick Coleman (albeit he was a first pick he still has averaged over 16ppg for the past 12+ years)
    the title (as far as i can read is biggest disapointment of all time)...a young player like tyson chandler? Why ? Do you know what the average age of NBA player to reach their 'prime' is? Its estimated 26-27 years old. ... a young player like him only has an advantage as he will have 10 years experience at that time. Darco? I hope your kidding? He was on the world championship detroit team, he didnt get time..they didnt HAVE to play him. Sure carmelo had a better season, and may be a better player, but detroit took what they felt they needed for thier team, and wanted his size,..if your trying to call him a bust already, You are by all means, insane.

What i would do is take the players who had the 'most projected future success', and out of those players, you can select who is the biggest disapointment, but my point was 2/3 of the guys on that original list, were NEVER supposed to be 'great' so arent much of a disapointment...a big disapointement is when a player wins the national championship in college, is regaurded as the best player in college, and never lives up to that potential or does what was projected...in my opinion, that is patrick ewing.

Yes he ran into 'jordan', but is he going to live by that for the rest of his life? Sorry, but whether u like it or not, Ewing had more 'hype' coming out of college even than Jordan did, so thats not an excuse, Ewing was supposed to win even w/ jordan in the league, Ewing was SUPPOSED to be the dominant player!

Chicken_Daddy is offline New Member
    stacey "the plastic man" augmon, worst player in NBA history to have a nickname.
    Tom Gugliotta
    Harold Minor
    that dude from Pheonix, i think Richard Dumars was his name?

I'm sure I could dig the archives and find a player that was drafted at number one and had basically zero impact. It's too late at night to think,but a lot of the players mentioned have had somewhat sucessfull careers. I dont think thats disappoinment. Now someone that never done anything in the nba but was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I consider that a disappointment. Opinions on how good a draft pick could be are just that. I could say this guy is going to be the best. Just like you could or disagree. Hype is hype.

booxilla is offline New Member
    1. Greg Ostertag
    2. Greg Ostertag
    3. Greg Ostertag

Did I mention Greg Ostertag???

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Oliver Miller.

Gaaaaarbage.

OkieCardinal is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    Jason Williams (white chocolate)
    Harold Miner
    JR Rider
    Marcus Camby
    Kerry Kittles
    Grant Hill
    Antoine Walker
    Dekembe Mutumbo
    Eric Montross

Man you got some ballers on your list. Jason Williams? He was never expected to be a super star...he had one unreal year and he started getting hyped up because of his flashy play when he was at Sac. Hes a much better player now than he ever was there. Mutumbo was one of the best shot blockers of all time!!! Hes old now so u cant call him a bust cause hes not like he use to be. Walker??? Umm pretty sure hes not one of the biggest flops. I guess u could argue Hill and Kittles, but by no means are they up there with a lot of other guys that should be on this list.

Bob Balco is offline Banned
    What about Sam Bowie. He really lived up to being drafted ahead of Jordan.

c_ville is offline Associate Member
    NBA ball leaving Vancouver because Stu Jackson is a deuchebag.
    Bryant Reeves a Grizzly over Kobe Bryant. Steve Francis being a bitch and not playing. Winning about 20 games a season. Not being able to name a starting player even when you watch every game.

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    Shawn Kemp is a real failure....had all the potential in the world, and decided cocaine was more important. JR Rider is a retard too.

I don't get how you can have Grant Hill on the list, the man is not a failure. He got injured - it wasn't like he did something wrong. And before he got injured he was playing great.

clampitt is offline Junior Member
    being a Sonics fan, it hurts me to see 2 former sonics.

although, shawn "reign man" kemp is the MAN! he played awesome for seattle and than with cleveland. And than when he got to PORTLAND(weed capital of the world for NBA players)..fricking stoudamire and wallace got him hooked for good.

but the biggest dissapointment EVER!

clampitt is offline Junior Member
    Is Vin Baker!!!

He Got Fat, Couldnt Hit A Frow.

Man, I Hated Him Forever. So Glad We Got Rid Of Him.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

to me the biggest and sadest disappointment is..

Len Bias. he could have kept the celtics dynasty in the hunt. ****ing guy was better than jordan in college.wasted talent. i wish i could have seen him play just one game in the NBA. i still try to find espn classic games on to watch him.what a waste

biggest disappointment in the nba today...The day the lakers traded Shaq...And broke up the dynasty.

AustrianOAK14 is offline Senior Member
    yup lakers 2002 was the best year ever

AustrianOAK14 is offline Senior Member
    sam bowe was another big disapointment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information