solidj55 is offline Member

Best way to increase number of pullups???

Any ideas guys??? I want to be able to rep off a shit load of pullups, any new ideas I can try???

AndroholiK is offline Junior Member
    Try standing on a bench just under the pull up bar. Use a weighted belt and put on like a 45. Then jump up and go down super slow on the negative, do sets of this.

I read this earlier on this board and the guy said he had awesome results and he increased the number of pulls ups he could do dramatically.

Maybe try heavy ass wide grip lat pull downs

Worth a try maybe.

GL.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    At the beginning of all my back workouts i first do 50 pullups. I dont care how long it takes, i just do it. I can usually do 20, rest, 12, rest....until i get to a total of 50. GIve it a try

Thanks for the ideas guys.

956Vette, did doing the sets of 50 help you rep wise? Did it seem to give you the ability to do more reps per set??? I have heard of doing this, it is supposed to help you because of the volume of reps you end up doing, I may give it a try. I am thinking of doing 50 reps of regular pullups for a 4-6 weeks, then doing the same on chinups, then doing it again on semi-supinated chins, then going back to pullups to see if it made a difference.

Of topic Vette, I notice you have Jessica Simpson in your avatar, have you watched her show on MTV??? She is hotter than hell!!!

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by solidj55
    Of topic Vette, I notice you have Jessica Simpson in your avatar, have you watched her show on MTV??? She is hotter than hell!!!
    No, havent seen it yet. Im afraid if i see it, ill nut in my pants!

LOL she looks pretty plain most of the time, sweat pants/t-shirts, etc. But thats what I like, I hate to see these women all dressed up, I like it when they wear normal clothes, esp. Jessica Simpson.

Rookiejay is offline Member
    When I was in my teens and early 20s - chin ups and push ups used to be my fav and for most time the only workouts. - sets of 50 reps weren't uncommon.

Back then I didn't know about overtraining......

This is what I used to do.
    I'd do 10 sets to failure throughout the day every other day and 10 half sets on the days "off"
    For example.
    if your max set (failure) is 10 - you do 10 sets, but not in 1 workout - evenly throughout the day.
    The next day you do the same 10 set but with 5 reps.

Keep the numbers steady for 2 or 3 weeks (don't increase the # reps even if you can - let your system adapt) - then take a few days off and try again ---- you'll notice your max will go to 18 or 20..... then to 24 or 26..... etc (the increase diminishes, but still the # of reps goes up)

I'd have a printout on the wall next to the bar, where I'd mark every set (to keep count)

When I was going for the # - that was the best routine.
    Last edited by Rookiejay; 08-25-2003 at 09:03 PM.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    the best way to increase your # of pullups is simply to keep doing them.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetPsycho
    the best way to increase your # of pullups is simply to keep doing them.
    BINGO ! and weighted helps alot too !

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    yes, weighted works well. once you get to the point where you can do 5-6 pullups on your own then add a 20 pound db between your feet. go to failure with the weight, drop it and keep going.

eventualy your goal would be to increase the weight and reps.

when i use weight on chins i like to use the 40 pound db and hit about 6 pullups, drop the weight and get about 6 more

and dont forget to come down sssslllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwww

Well this is the break down of the number of reps I can do for each type of pullup I do, keep in mind that this is reps to failure and not what I would do for consistant sets.

Semi-Supinated Grip- 12-13 reps
    Chinups(palms facing me)- 10-12 reps
    Pullups(palms facing away from me)- 8-10 reps

I may just add weight to these exercises and see if it helps my bodyweight reps in the long run.

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    Just keep on knocking them out and you'll get up there.

Funny you should mention the 50 reps vette because that's what I use also when I do back.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    G Child couldn't have said it better. If you want to increase your pullups, just do 'em. Give it time and you'll be able to crank out 20 with no problem. For guys who can already do 20? Damn! Good for you!

Thread Information