Blog Comments

• |
    im glad i read this, very good post
    • |
    respect.
    • |
    Msci, I am a newbie to serious power lifting. I have been working out the past two years and before that in high school (I am 33 now) I am 5'10 145lbs. I have always had trouble gaining weight. I am looking for a mentor/trainer in the central Pennsylvania region to help me out. If you could steer me in any kind of direction it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to be a dumb newbie going into the gym asking complete strangers for help with workouts technique etc. I have done a good amount of research onn my own, but nothing beats having someone with you even if it is just to get me started on the right path. Thanks
    • |
    Fire away Volt,

This is all about learning, I would never be mad at anyone trying to improve the knowledge base of anyone else.
    • |
    You're the man Msci. I really appreciate your effort bro. I will go ahead and give it a thorough read. Also, I have access to extensive research databases at school, and I will look it up.

Also, do you mean if I start a thread and post this info in it for everyone to view? Of course, I will make sure you get the credit for the research
    • |
    Hey Volts 48,

It took me forever to find this paper that I wanted to post, and ended up finding in my Q&A thread. This is a pretty good paper and compares to some extent the two different theories on cardio and fat loss.

This study just came out this month if you can find a full text article of it at your local university or library it is well worth it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Effect of High-Intensity Interval Exercise on Lipid Oxidation during Postexercise Recovery.

PURPOSE:: The aim of this study was to examine whether lipid oxidation predominates during 3 h of postexercise recovery in high-intensity interval exercise as compared with moderate-intensity continuous exercise on a cycle ergometer in fit young men (n = 12; 24.6 +/- 0.6 yr). METHODS:: The energy substrate partitioning was evaluated during and after high-intensity submaximal interval exercise (INT, 1-min intervals at 80% of maximal aerobic power output [W max] with an intervening 1 min of active recovery at 40% W max) and 60-min moderate-intensity continuous exercise at 45% of maximal oxygen uptake (C45%) as well as a time-matched resting control trial (CON). Exercise bouts were matched for mechanical work output. RESULTS:: During exercise, a significantly greater contribution of CHO and a lower contribution of lipid to energy expenditure were found in INT (512.7 +/- 26.6 and 41.0 +/- 14.0 kcal, respectively) than in C45% (406.3 +/- 21.2 and 170.3 +/- 24.0 kcal, respectively; P < 0.001) despite similar overall energy expenditure in both exercise trials (P = 0.13). During recovery, there were no significant differences between INT and C45% in substrate turnover and oxidation (P > 0.05). On the other hand, the mean contribution of lipids to energy yield was significantly higher after exercise trials (C45% = 61.3 +/- 4.2 kcal; INT = 66.7 +/- 4.7 kcal) than after CON (51.5 +/- 3.4 kcal; P < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS:: These findings show that lipid oxidation during postexercise recovery was increased by a similar amount on two isoenergetic exercise bouts of different forms and intensities compared with the time-matched no-exercise control trial.
    Edit/Delete Message
    • |
    48 volts,

Give me a few days to compile some papers, I will say however there is still a big debate in science on what is the most effective way to burn fat.
    • |
    MS, great blog.

My question is in regards to cardio and fat burn. Can you give us the scientific evidence to end all debate on when, how much, bpm, machines..etc?

For example, I do 30 mins fasted state am cardio at a field across from my house. I run for 1 min, and walk for 1 min. if I had to guess my bpm would be 160 for the first and 120 for the latter. Then, in the evening I weight lift. Immediately after, I follow it with a walk on the treadmill for 30 mins keeping my heart rate at 120. Am I doing this correctly to maximize fat burn (assuming I have my diet in check)?

Thanks.
    • |
    Thank you very much MuscleScience,that has put my mind at rest a bit.I have torn open a scar before creating a hernia at the sight, which was fixed over 10 years ago.I did this however not during weight training but buy swinging a grossly overweight rucksack(schoolbag) from the ground to one shoulder tearing the scar internally.I do of course observe good form on all my lifts (I believe) and have had no probs so far.As for the colon question this is extreamly difficult to find info on.I have been searching for years and every doctor(GP) I ask has no real idea either,any that answer just give the old 'its different for everyone' answer which just means they have no clue. Anyway thank you very much for your help and time I appreciate it.
    • |
    Scar tissue usually heals fairly strongly of course its not going to be as strong as a tendon or ligament because of the more random nature that collagen fibers are laid down relative to that of other connective tissue, or soft tissue types. You really shouldnt have much problem i would assume however it is something to keep an eye on. However I am no expert on this and have only trained or advised I should say one athlete that had any type of major abdominal surgery. No were in my research could I find any contraindications to exercise for him.

As far as your colon being removed, I am sure you would have lost some mass. How much does 4+feet of intestines weigh, I have no idea.
    • |
    You have a degree in biology? Perfect you might be able to help me.I have two questions.The first is this,I have had many major surgeries on my abdomen,all over 10 years old.I have extensive scaring, will this affect my ability to lift weights when my poundages get high?
    The next question is some what weirder.
    As I mentioned I had many major surgerys as a child.I was born with Hirschsprung's.Long story short I was left with 5 inches of the normaly 5 foot long large intestine.Do you know how much weight that would detract from my body weight.I ask because I have stood shoulder to shoulder with men the same height, build and who were 160lb and i looked even slightly more muscular by their reconing, while I myself weigh 145lb.I have heard of people loseing 10lb after a colonic irrigation,I obviously wouldnt have that weight in my colon as mine is 5 inches long.What do you think?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    P.S. I have 2, one foot long scars going from under my ribcage to just above my groin and two scars(one each side) just above the level of my hip bones, bisecting my abs.none of them join each other and I haven't had any problems with them yet while lifting.Hope thats enough info for you.
    Updated 03-29-2009 at 12:28 PM by Pocketbattleship2B
    • |
    QS,

Here are some questions for you>>>>

Does the pain radiate anywhere?

Do you get any tingling or numbness down one side or the other.

What movements aggravate the pain more

What relieves the pain.

Is there a time of day that it hurts worse.
    • |
    I just recently started having lower back pain ... mostly on my right side ... it gets to the point where it's unbearable at times to continue any type of physical activity.

Could it be that my hips are misaligned ? ... possible herniated disc ? ... maybe just weak core/back muscles ?

Thanks
    • |
    i've just started my first bulking diet, may i post it for your comment?
    • |
    tadpoleboyy,

Great question, my undergrad was in biology and is a great degree to have.

There are three basic muscle types in the body. Smooth Muscle, Cardiac Muscle and Skeletal Muscle. In this conversation we are going to talk about Skeletal Muscle just for everyone's clarification that may be reading this.

Within Skeletal Muscle (SM) there are different subtypes of fibers. For the purpose of this discussion we will talk about the three most accepted subtypes. Slow Twitch, Fast Twitch type IIA and Type IIB. I must point out that some researchers have possibly identified addition subtypes which I will only briefly mention as not to confuse everyone because it is not completely agreed upon by all authors the last time I checked.

Type I (slow twitch):

Type I slow twitch muscle fibers (ST) are fibers that express high levels of aerobic enzymes relative to other types and are very dense in mitochondria. The muscles themselves have a very high capillary density to bring in additional blood supplies. ST fibers are resistant to fatiguing and can contract and stay contracted repeatedly without fatiguing to a point. The main energy pathway of ST fibers is that of aerobic means, due to the increased expression of aerobic enzymes. These fibers can produce energy under anaerobic conditions but do not have the capacity to do so verses other types of muscle fibers. These muscle fiber types are generally used in everyday activities and are for long duration lower intensity exercises such as walking or jogging.

Fast Twitch Fibers Two Types:

Type IIb Fast Glycolytic (FG):

FG fibers are a type of fast twitch fiber that produces energy almost exclusively via anaerobic means. (without oxygen) They fatigue very rapidly and produce a very fast and forceful contraction relative to that of ST fibers. They are very low in mitochondrial density and have low capillary density along with decreased expression of aerobic enzymes relative to that of ST fibers. These fibers are mainly involved in very short and forceful contractions such as jumping or throwing a baseball. These fibers can best be trained by plyometric exercises as well as relatively heavy weight lifting.

Type II A Fast Twitch Oxidative Glycolytic (FOG):

FOG muscle fibers are a kind of hybrid fiber type between FG fibers and ST fibers. They display characteristics of both fiber types in that they can use both aerobic and anaerobic means to produce energy. FOG fibers can contract fast and forcefully just like FG fibers do but they also have built in fatigue resistant properties that ST fibers have. This is achieved by having more mitochondria and aerobic enzymes along with a higher capillary density in the muscle compared to FG fibers. These fibers are postulated to have the ability with training to morph into either ST or FG fibers. Meaning that with specific training such as in long distance running, that a FOG fiber can adapt and mimic to an extent the properties of ST fibers. These fibers will start to act more like a ST fiber than that of a normal Fast Twitch type of fiber and vice verse.

Additional Fiber Types:

In 2003 a paper authored by Spangenburg and Booth, proposed that there was an additional fast twitch fiber type called Type IIx. This is described as a fiber type between that of Type IIa and type IIb. Just to confuse everyone Type IIx use to be a alternate nomenclature for Type IIb fibers. The reason I bring it up at all is that depending on the text book and author this fiber type may or may not appear or be taught. Although Spangenburg and Booth are not the only ones to describe this potential new fiber type, their paper is the most commonly cited one in the literature. Just in case anyone is doing research at home or has learned it different in exercise physiology class.

References:

Essentials of Strength Training & Conditioning by Thomas R. Baechle, S Roger W. Earle,. Second Edition
    Human Kinetics (2000)

Molecular regulation of individual skeletal muscle fibre types
    E. E. Spangenburg and F. W. Booth (2003)
    Acta Physiologica Scandinavica
    Volume 178 Issue 4, Pages 413 - 424
    • |
    "Fast twitch" muscle vs. "slow twitch" muscle. I have read that there are a few different types actually. Perhaps you can explain these in a bit more detail, I am about to graduate with a degree in biology so lay it on. Maybe some questions to help catalyze conversation:

What types of muscle are there?What is the basic difference in these types of muscle?
    What type of training(with weights) fosters growth and each of these?
    Any significant weight/strength/size comparisons for these muscles types?
    What might be a good routine for just fast twitch? Or slow twitch? A equal combination of both?
    • |
    My knees have been hurting. It began a few months ago. I kept getting stronger and so I kept adding weight. The pain is present now even if I bend down carrrying no weight at all. I can go heavy on the leg press without any additional pain IF I warm up very gradually and add weight very gradually. Should I do the leg press heavy even though there is slight pain or not? I have just been doing real high rep sets of like 30-40 reps. Do you think the very high rep sets will aid in maintaining mass and strength while I wait for my knee to get better?
    • |
    BIG,

Flexing in the mirror is a form of working the muscle. When you flex for example the biceps, the triceps have to contract as well to keep the arm from moving. I could not say how much it would effect recovery but I really see it as no difference than doing another set of bi's the next day after an arm workout.
    • |
    I have a question in regards to flexing and posing. I don't compete, so this is hypothetical for me to an extent, but I know that bodybuilders often practice posing and flexing for extended periods of time. I wonder if flexing on the days following a workout affects the recovery of the muscle group? Say I work biceps and back today, then have extended sessions of flexing and posing on the next few days, will this have any negative effects on recovery?
    • |
    Lemonada8,

If there is already a shoulder issue I do not see AAS usage as helping to repair it or prevent further injury. Now could it increase the injury because of increase contractile strength of the muscle. I would say that its a logic conclusion. After all the force from the muscle has to be transfered through a lot of structure before it impulses the ball.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast