rambo is offline The Lord God

Heavy Bag Workout

I've been out of competitive boxing for about a year and a half now after a fractured jaw during the football season ended me. I want to start replacing my cardio with a heavy bag workout, cause, well, I miss it. Anyone care to share their favorite setups?

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    bro... I LOVE my heavy bag... I do 6 ~ 5 minute rounds at least 3 times a week (with a 2 minute break between rounds). anyone whos hit a bag knows how exhausting it can be... I am huffing and puffing and covered with sweat after my bag workouts.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by ripped4fsu
    bro... I LOVE my heavy bag... I do 6 ~ 5 minute rounds at least 3 times a week (with a 2 minute break between rounds). anyone whos hit a bag knows how exhausting it can be... I am huffing and puffing and covered with sweat after my bag workouts.

Sweetness. I want a setup where I can keep my heart rate elevated for 45 minutes. So that might work... mabye 7 ~ 5 minute rounds would be perfect. Can't wait, I start subbing it in for cardio tonight.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    ripped that's a good routine man

rambo, if your starting out, this is what you need

16oz gloves or the MMA(mixed martial arts) gloves or at the least handwrapps

and an egg timer

than just pound away i suggest for one minute at a time, with a 2 minute rest, and just work you way up!

pal
    pal is offline Junior Member
    Hey man.. where can you get handwraps at?

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pal
    Hey man.. where can you get handwraps at?

any sporting good store..

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    any sports store, or online at www.ringsideboxing.com the have good stuff and they always have special offers on something!!
    I also recomend the bas rutten workout which is a dvd that shows you many drills shadowboxing, bagm boxing and MMA and then it comes with audio cd's that have cool music and Bas Rutten shouting out combo's (which you'll learn in the DVD) and you just do his combos with him, its very challenging and will get you in great shape.
    www.basrutten.tv

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I've used a couple really good workouts as far as boxing and MMA goes..
    when i boxed I would do 1 to 3 min rounds as follows:
    (first few times was 1 min, then 2 weeks later add 2mins, then later 3, at the end of a workout I'd be dead)
    1 min jump rope
    1 min speed bag
    1 min heavy bag
    30sec break
    1 min dble end bag
    2 min jump rope
    1min break
    2 min heavy bag
    1 jump rope
    1 min break
    2 min speed bag
    1 min jump rope
    1min break
    3 min heaby bag
    1 min break
    3 min dble end bag
    Then Vomit...
    In my MMA class, we'd do kick or punches in spirts:
    1min - as many left round house kicks
    1min break
    1min - as many left round house kicks
    1min break
    1min- as many left round house kicks
    switch to right and follow...we'd start with 3 for anything punches, knees kicks etc. Graduate (overtime) to 5 to six bursts etc.

I can tell you that in both workouts I would be nausious at the end...with the idea being keyed on focus and intensity.

SID

Grappler_Mike is offline New Member
    Bas Rutten workout rocks it will make you a massive cardio machine.

zap2 is offline Junior Member
    im looking at that http://www.ringsideboxing.com/ website right now im gonna spend my hard earned money on gloves, wraps, and a bag... don't know where to put them yet tho but ive been dieing to get one for so long and im gonna try to find a good deal... Do the sizes matter? im 5'5 164 pounds and beginner if that affects it.

is there anything else i should buy? Mine...and Pal's... boxing gym is at an off season for the summer so i won't be going there and they supply stuff there so i really only need this equipment for at home stuff... right now i don't need competion stuff or sparing stuff.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    I hit a bag at home 3-4 times a week!

MJ

i probably will once i get a bag!

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I would do the following, purchase from a dicks or what ever the stand that has the speed bag and heavy bag. Pic a nice leather bag, a canvas one will tear you up! Also, spend the $30 on a french bag aka double end bag! Mount it floor to ceiling! It is the best bag when it comes to reaction, which is key when boxing. I think you can incoroporate more head movements and reactions when the bag gets wild on you. So you can get both for about $170 or so. As far as gloves, I love my fingerless MMA gloves! Gives you the better feel, and wraps are easy as hell to find, I don't believe you need 16oz gloves or anything because you're not sparring. If you plan on getting in the ring, use the gloves in a sparring simulation or timed situation. Use the heavy gloves for 1 mins for 3 rds to start, the go up to 8rd at 1min per. Then go 2mins for 3 to 8rds then 3 mins to 3-8 rds to get used to holding the gloves up. They will wear on you so you have build up, not to mention when you hit with the gloves they are like pillows.

SID

great, thx for the info

Thread Information