Thread: Suggestions

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member

Suggestions

Been a fan of Boxing my entire life and jumped on the MMA band wagon a little over a year ago.

I have no fight experience what so ever, other than just wrestling around with friends (which I always win!).

I’m building a garage though, and basically was just going to use it for a gym. Weights in the front, and bags and mats in the back, I can park outside.

I want to train some BJJ, Boxing and MT. I was going to take some starting classes to get the basics but then do the rest on my own with friends.

Just looking for suggestions on training and what equipment would be vital.

Thanks for any input!

D-Bo Dre is offline Member
    Mmm, how bout the basics... Medicine ball, jumpropes, mirrors (shadow boxing), pull-up bars, focus mitts, a slam-man, heavy/speed bags, T-bar, hand wraps, neck strengthening headgear, timers, bells, whistles etc.. Good luck, sounds tight

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    boxing and mt you might be able to do with friends...but bjj you can't do unless one of you is learning from an instructor. Also...you are only as good as the people you spar. BJJ is a chess match... So you will never get good if someone's not there to push you.

thecivilizedanimal is offline Senior Member
    YOU'LL NEVER LEARN ON YOUR OWN,

you can train physically but you'll never learn to fight.

you need to train with people, with varying styles as well ( unless you want to train in a specific discipline )

you'll never progress on your own

boxing750 is offline New Member
    get the bags and matts and also a MT bag to throw kicks, get one guy to be your dummy and just buy the gracie jiu jutsu book and practice on the technique using ur friend as a dummy till you know how to complete the move with out fukn it up and keep trying new moves but when you know the basics and dont dismiss then all ways practice getting out the guard and side mount manuvers. then go from gym to gym sparing i travel to 3 diff cities to go sparr and roll with different guys different belts, sparring is what will advance you cuz like others said your only as good as the ppl you train against. if theres a blackbelt pay him to go to your house and train you maybe he could hook it up. and also spar, and get #'s to all the gyms that workd for me....mma is a you help me and i'll help you that seems to work the best

jonny101 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecivilizedanimal View Post
    YOU'LL NEVER LEARN ON YOUR OWN,

you can train physically but you'll never learn to fight.

you need to train with people, with varying styles as well ( unless you want to train in a specific discipline )

you'll never progress on your own
    sorry but i have to disagree the ex middle weight champion of the world rich franklin use to train with hes buddys before ufc called on his own and he done pretty well,saying that of course your gona get better if you train with great fighters so would be better to train wiv others.but u can do fine on your own until you wana step up a level

as for the question evrythings been said but id get some kettle bells if you dont know the best exercises theres loads of stuff online and they are a great asset

Thread Information