GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    You have no ideas how awesome that was to read, i didnt get the polymetrics very well but the rest was very good.

b22md is offline New Member
    thanks for the link bro....great info. i have been looking for a dedicated muay thai school in my area but unfortunately there are NONE ...just a bunch of punkass kickboxers

kickboxing is the same stuff bro

b22md is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer

not at all, TRUE thaiboxing is very different from kickboxing. here is quick rundown of the two i stole from a google search:

"well apart from no kneeing or elbows in "full contact kickboxing" there are some other differences.

Full contact kickboxing was brought about by frustrated Karate guys who wanted a format to fight without the restrictions of the then Karate tournements. 1970's Full contact Kickboxing was brought about. It was a karate format where you could hkick only above the waist, only use your fists to box and spinning backfist NO elbows. There are mandatory kick counts in FC Kickboxing, if you do not meet the kick count for each round you are deducted points. More recently, due to losses by Muay Thai fighters, Kickboxers began to recognise the superior kicking that Thaiboxing used, now most Kickboxing styles have taken the delivery style of the Thai roundhouse, also many Kickboxing styles have taken western style boxing as it is both superior to their own and Thaiboxing. Spinning kicks, and several other techniques remain Karate but the boxing is western style Boxing and the roundhouse kick is almost always, or aimed for, Thai delivery style. FC kickboxing, you must wear foot protection and shin pads. Also no clinch grappling allowed of any sort.

There are other areas of Kickboxing, free style which allows for leg kicks (Usually only outside leg hits) and sometimes knees, depends on the fighters demands.

Full contact kickboxers tend to have dominant punching but lack the conditioning that is brought about by fighting without protection so almost always loose fighting Thaiboxing under full Muay Thai rules, kickboxers dont have as superior clinch grappling skills.... you could look at a kickboxer as a "boxer" who kicks.

Thaiboxing is not kickboxing, Muay Thai has totally different origins than kickboxing, in fact Thai boxing actuall translates into Free Boxing, although modern day Thai boxing is a little safer than before 1930's it still remains one of the toughest forms of fighting in the ring because you dont wear protection, you are forced to stand and fight and while in clinch grappling you must actively and consistantly strike, when you BOTH stop striking ("rest") you are split, you are forced to fight using a percussive weapon and you only win by showing aggression or KO and there is no mandatory kick count.

elbows in Thaiboxing, in UFC hitting using the points of the elbow are illegal strikes, in Thaiboxing you can strike anywhere but the back of the neck and using any part of the elbow. You can hit any part of the body, excluding the groin, using the knee and you are forced to attack while clinch grappling using both elbows and knee.

Style of fighting is different, rounds are different, in Kickboxing you can fight from 3 rounds to 12 with different times, in Thaiboxing you fight either 3x2 mins or 5x3 mins. Fight styles are different, in Thaiboxing using the fists doesnt doesnt count, at least in Thailand, with the judges, you can only win by ko or consistantly moving forward and showing agression, and thats even if you are getting hit more times by the other guy, if you keep going forard and showing more aggressive fighting attitude but he may have got more kicks or punches out you will win. Thaiboxing is heavily influenced by Buddhism and has many rituals both performed before the fights and with teacher. Thaiboxing comes from an ancient form of combat and waqs created for soldiers to keep sharp during periods of peace.

Kickboxing is not Thaiboxing, the only similarities are the usage of the kicks and both formats use a ring, rounds have a referee and hit each other.

Thats my knowledge as I have done both"

Boxing is a predominantly more trained element in kickboxing in the euro/american culture because quite simply boxing services the quickest most effective knockout oppurtunity's w/o leaving the fighter critically open for counterstriking

According to Maurice Smith (legendary kickboxer), low roundhouse kicks should be used like jabs in boxing, eventually as the muscle weakens it destroys the opponents ability to balance and henceforth defend himself from oncoming blows, high roundhouse kicks (ex. to the head) should only be used once the opponent is tired and can no longer properly defend himself

that's the speil and propoganda my instructor gives anyways

your right in the fact that muay thai fighters are allowed to use there elbows and muay-thai clinch

however, i'm right, in that regardless of school, any euro/american kickboxing school is going to stress boxing almost as much if not more than kicking and that's regardless if they train under muay thai colours

Sta11ion is offline Member
    Muay Thai and kickboxing are slightly similair. But in the end they are different, when I was training kickboxing most moves were from boxing, my combos would go up to 4 maybe 5 tops. As for muay thai it was top 3. It was almost impossible to do a 4 combo on someone. I have not trained kickboxing for almost 2 years I have put most of my training into muay thai know. The positions and counter strikes that I learned threw kickboxing I had to forget them. I had to because of the involvement of the elbows, different grappling etc.
    Anyway, at the last chapter what I did find weird was there rapping styles. My muay thai is slightly different then what it says in the book.

mountain man is offline New Member

Hmmmm.......

Well I would take some qoutes but having been a kickboxer with Thia boxing influence and having been in Martial Arts for over 20 years. I would say the definition of Thia boxing has changed. Thia kicks are the biggest diference in between it and Kickboxing Thia kicks are intended for your opponents legs or short rib,once in a while they can drop it on the shoulder or arm, rarely on the head of a formadable opponent. Elbows and knees are not allowed in kickboxing. You wanna kick a black belts ass(as I have done many times) learn to Thia box and kick box they can't compete.hehehe God that pisses them off. POint fighters hahaha sorry but they are pussies!!!!! I would go further buT I 'm busy moving into the city. i won't change my though.

MM

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    great post!

Div1Wrestler is offline Junior Member

Synyster is offline Associate Member
    i gotta bring this thread back to life.....this is some good shit!!! i wanna be like Tony Jaa when i grow up!! LOL!!!

Castradomus is offline Junior Member
    absolutely awesome!!!

Castradomus is offline Junior Member
    anybody know how i could download this pdf?

sprawlbrawl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b22md View Post
    thanks for the link bro....great info. i have been looking for a dedicated muay thai school in my area but unfortunately there are NONE ...just a bunch of punkass kickboxers
    most kickboxing schools train elbows and knees dude check it out good stuff

Bastard Samurai is offline Associate Member
    Good post bro! Lots of good and interesting info here.

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    this was a badass post thankyou

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer View Post
    Nice to hear that i am starting in September.

!!!ZeuS!!! is offline Junior Member
    in thailand if you call it kick boxing they get the shits with you in oz kickboxing is classed under iska council its like karate with knee's if you want muay thai you need to find a gym that fights wmc dane daddy cool beecham is the man

Thread Information