sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel

BJJ - What is a reasonable price for classes?

Looking into starting some BJJ classes. Wondering what other people pay?

I assume the academy I am looking at is pretty good since it is from the Rickson line of fighters. Any comments?

Looking at Mario and Fernando Yamanski's place, Neto is also there.

http://bjj.org/a/people/gracie-rickson.html
    Last edited by scottp999; 07-19-2004 at 02:07 PM.

Div1Wrestler is offline Junior Member
    The bigger the name, the bigger the price... my advise would be go were you can afford. Group the schools together and go sit in on each class... Look at the class, the school, the people.. You will click with one and thats your school..

"Mario and Fernando Yamanski's place might be good, but how often are Mario and Fernando there? They might have some brown belt teaching and your paying for the name....

Don't get me wrong Rickson is god when it comes to BJJ...... But there are other teachers out there that can teach you some skill......

I have 9 years Bjj, Sambo, submission fighting.
    I have 22 years wrestling (freestyle, greco)

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    make sure the academy teaches both gi and no-gi, because no-gi is more practical and useful, the gi i just a sport but you can still learn some from

I train under a guy who is a black belt under a machado, so thats highly ranked in the jiu-jitsu world, he used to charge 55dollars month before MMA and jiu jitsu were in great demand...however with the increase in demand over the last 2 years his prices are 120dollars a month!!!!! i think thats ridiculous to pay since you can learn from many academies for cheaper....i am lucky i was under contract so my mothly fee stayed at 55dollars regardles sof any changes....but i feel sorry for all new members that have to pay a lot, and i dont think its worth paying more just because of the instructor or who they trained under!!!

The reason i am against paying high amounts just based on reputation is because the students that trained under machado all lost to us int he tournaments they were hosting themselves...and they are paying even higher money to train directly under machado themselves! Instructors that are making tons of money tend to relax and pay less attention to their students, they even let other students teach...thats why we comlletley wiped th mat with them even though we train under his black belt and not him directly.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Div1Wrestler
    The bigger the name, the bigger the price... my advise would be go were you can afford. Group the schools together and go sit in on each class... Look at the class, the school, the people.. You will click with one and thats your school..

"Mario and Fernando Yamanski's place might be good, but how often are Mario and Fernando there? They might have some brown belt teaching and your paying for the name....

Don't get me wrong Rickson is god when it comes to BJJ...... But there are other teachers out there that can teach you some skill......

I have 9 years Bjj, Sambo, submission fighting.
    I have 22 years wrestling (freestyle, greco)
    Hey welcome to the board, great to see experienced martial artists posting.

I can't comment on the price thing as I'm in Ireland, where things are rediculously cheap!. For both my kickboxing and Judo I pay approx US$50 per month!.

sp9
    Thanks for the input, they want $155 per month for both bjj/thai kb. I appreciate the comments on going to a few schools to check them out. Athough I live in one of the largest cities in the state there are no bjj/kb schools. Yamanski would be 40min one way. The more I think about it the more I think it wouldn't work into my schedule of fulltime work and half time grad school. I might try to find something local that is groung fighting related, maybe judo, and look for some place I can practice kickboxing until school is over in about a year.

Sounds like you have a full plate now Scottp... A 40 min drive is alot for me, but I know guys that travel 1 hr to the gym to train but they don't have any sort of life....

Judo is a great sport and Kb is great too... It seems all the MA schools are teaching some sort of ground game. From JKD to TKD they all are put some ground skills together... Also check clubs sometimes Ive found to be more fun........

Thanks for the Welcome Bouncer $50 is cheap.......... There's quite a crew of grapplers over there I met a seminar I forget the teams name, but they were wild....

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I wonder was it John Kavanghs 'Straight Blast Gym' (Ireland) www.irishbjj.com

John is running a very successfull gym with some pretty good fighters, one in particular Dave Roche should go onto greater things in the USA, or so the word has it. I wonder is that the team you met?.

As regards some clubs now including ground work, very true, but I train in two separate clubs. I trained with JK, but he moved to the far side of the city and made it impossible for me to get to him.

90% sure it was them,, Our training style is pretty close, we kind of stuck together. Great group of guys that were there...

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I have been in a class called Thai-Jitsu, which is Muai-Thai KB, BJJ, Grappling, boxing, submission wrestling. The class is pretty awesome, I love it unfortunatley I've been up to my ass in work so I had to freeze my account. But great class! And I also goto the open mat nights as well to test my learnings. Class is 120 a month.

SID

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    screw it,

just become a bouncer at your local nightclub,

think about it, they pay YOU for sparring

sp9
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    screw it,

Thanks GQ but I am actually insterested in learning the technical aspects from someone with experience. I am a big fan of the sport. Especially the ground work.

Not looking to practice beating up people at my job, although some days I can not wait to get home and pound the weights. I have a few pictures from work that I am sure will get printed out and taped to the bag that I will have in the garage.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Beating up unsuspecting, drunken losers is sparring.....

Don't listen to GQ, spar in a safe, controlled environment under the watchful eye of an instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    screw it,

Thread Information