Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sooner45 is offline Member

I'm thinking about getting into Martial Arts...Any ideas???

Hey Bro's!! I have tinkered with the idea of trying martial arts out, just as a hobby and quite frankly just another way to get/stay in shape. I was just wondering if any of you guys are into it or tried it out????

Are there any pro's/cons to it?

Any form of martial arts better than the other?? Kick boxing? Karate, etc.

How much do the lessons usually cost??

ANyway, I have just been thinking about it and thought I'd see what you guys have to say! Thanks Bro's!!

H-BOL is offline Associate Member
    do muay thai

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    whatever the style is that concentrates on grappling............that'd be awesome to do

GeoQuadzilla is offline Senior Member
    I do Uechi Ryu and am big advocate of it because it covers so many bases... Striking, Kicks, Blocking, Submission, Pressure points, Sprawling, Groundwork, Proper Stance, Throws, Sweeps, and Full Body Conditioning... The list goes on and on...One of the best fighting styles in the world in my opinion.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I cant remember what it is called but they teach you to channel your body energy, where you can hit a person with out touching them. being able to channel your chakras(SP?), good for you mind, good for your soul.

I saw a old man once do this stuff. He was like a 75 year old man and he demostrated 2 different thing on how he could channel his energy ad yours to defend himself.
    1. a group of about 6-8 people surrounded him as if it was a groupd of cops looking to take down and man. grabbing his arms, body and legs. The old man channeled the energy from around him and used it to throw(literally toss those guys) right off of him. He began to sway back and forth and all the sudden guys started to fly off him.

2. second demonstration was a single guy standing still and the old man about 2-3 feet in fromt of him. The old man did this concentration **** and like a street fighter move him launched his hand out with out touching the guy and the guy flew back about 5-6 feet falling on his ass.

also one more story about using your body energy. Another old Asian man was challenged by a yonger guy in martial arts. The Asian old fella used his two fingers in a single strike move to paralize the younger martial art guy who challenged him.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

LM1332 Guest
    Try Sambo...bad bad thing...you'll love it

I used to be in White Tiger Kung FU. It was one of the best things i have ever done. I stayed in great shape and it was alot of fun. I propably would still be in it, but they shut it down several years ago. That is when i got interested in Bodybuilding.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    Kajukenbo, mix of 5 styles. karate, aikido, jui jitsu, kenpo and boxing. originating in hawaii. focuses on street fighting

Grappler_Mike is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    I cant remember what it is called but they teach you to channel your body energy, where you can hit a person with out touching them. being able to channel your chakras(SP?), good for you mind, good for your soul.

I saw a old man once do this stuff. He was like a 75 year old man and he demostrated 2 different thing on how he could channel his energy ad yours to defend himself.
    1. a group of about 6-8 people surrounded him as if it was a groupd of cops looking to take down and man. grabbing his arms, body and legs. The old man channeled the energy from around him and used it to throw(literally toss those guys) right off of him. He began to sway back and forth and all the sudden guys started to fly off him.

2. second demonstration was a single guy standing still and the old man about 2-3 feet in fromt of him. The old man did this concentration **** and like a street fighter move him launched his hand out with out touching the guy and the guy flew back about 5-6 feet falling on his ass.

also one more story about using your body energy. Another old Asian man was challenged by a yonger guy in martial arts. The Asian old fella used his two fingers in a single strike move to paralize the younger martial art guy who challenged him.
    Heh,people still believe this stuff?

No offense to you but stuff like this doesnt exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Grappler_Mike
    Heh,people still believe this stuff?

No offense to you but stuff like this doesnt exist.
    you're right you tool. I was imagining this documentary and i was trying to be cool for the internet based web site. Also I have a hot playboy girlfriend and a 1 million dollar yacht. Am i cool yet? Yeah, no offfense but go suck something fierce
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Wow your cool.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    hey abstract, guess what?

your an idiot

(actually, your probably a cool person, but your post was stupid)

Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    hey abstract, guess what?

your an idiot

(actually, your probably a cool person, but your post was stupid)
    I'm not even going to bother with your petty comment. Try somewhere else to start ****.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

you're right you tool. I was imagining this documentary and i was trying to be cool for the internet based web site. Also I have a hot playboy girlfriend and a 1 million dollar yacht. Am i cool yet? Yeah, no offfense but go suck something fierce
    YOU sir were the one who start sh!t

anyways it doesn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    YOU sir were the one who start sh!t

anyways it doesn't matter

listen!; If you have a problem with me take it to PM! end of story. I was addressing the other guy in the thread and you came in and gave your .02 which no one asked for. SO WHO STARTED ****?
    like I said if you have issues with me take it to PM and stop pissing on the thread.

By the way.. who basically called me a liar? thanks again.. go contribute to the board some where else or address me in PM
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Div1Wrestler is offline Junior Member
    Sooner, sit in on a bunch of schools and clubs that are in your area, If your goals are to stay in shape, there all good. From kickboxing to boxing from wrestling to grappling. These styles are more simple, practial to learn, than a traditional Martial Arts, the Katas and other out dated techniques are taken out (not ****-in on anyones style). Price is a wide range for 45 an month to 300 an hour....

listen!; If you have a problem with me take it to PM! end of story. I was addressing the other guy in the thread and you came in and gave your .02 which no one asked for. SO WHO STARTED ****?
    like I said if you have issues with me take it to PM and stop pissing on the thread.

By the way.. who basically called me a liar? thanks again.. go contribute to the board some where else or address me in PM
    You already pissed on the thread sir,too late.

You shouldnt even be posting on this thread,its the same thing as if someone
    posted on the steroid forum asking for help and someone responded with rediculous information such as you did here.

You posted some fantasy dragonball Z crap and I called you out on it,and tryed to be polite about it,in no way did I flame you.Im sorry that you cannot handle a discussion/disagreement without throwing a tantrum.

H-BOL is offline Associate Member
    lol at this thread

You already pissed on the thread sir,too late.

You shouldnt even be posting on this thread,its the same thing as if someone
    posted on the steroid forum asking for help and someone responded with rediculous information such as you did here.

You posted some fantasy dragonball Z crap and I called you out on it,and tryed to be polite about it,in no way did I flame you.Im sorry that you cannot handle a discussion/disagreement without throwing a tantrum.
    dragon ball Z? right. I was trying to explain the guys foot stance in relation to something you could fathom. You called me out? right, you basically called me a liar is all you did. I know what i saw, i know what other people saw during this ducumentary and I have no reason to lie.

I guess harnessing your chakras is another far fetched B.S. story that people tell of healing others?
    abstrack@protonmail.com

this is a message board, not a god**** nightclub - we all gotta chill out

Show me where it says this was a documentary you saw.

Show me where it says this was a documentary you saw.
    How could i show the documentary i saw when it was a few years back? i would have do dig up t.v stations program lists (if they existed) and do that for the last few years when I lived in Michigan. Why is this worth my time? I could really care less at this point if you think my eyes saw some street fighter movie and I brought it to life to live some fantasy out. I have no reasn to lie i only gave a insight to someone who asked a question. I told him I can not remember what style it was or where it was originated but i would not lie about what I saw (in reality).

The healing powers or harnessing your charkras can be found all over the net and I am sure if you dig further you could find more insight into harnessing your bodys energy and someone elses energy to counter striking a move.

good luck and I am sure i will see you contribute later to some other forums.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

abstrack@protonmail.com

abstrack@protonmail.com

How could i show the documentary i saw when it was a few years back?

Now I understand why your pissed,you have no comprehension skills.
    Last edited by Grappler_Mike; 07-24-2004 at 12:48 PM.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    the best martial art is to buy a baseball bat! keep it in your car trunk with a ball thats stained in grass and a glove so you have an excuse when the cops ask.

I just gave 3 articles to read. Do you need help reading or am I offending you because you have not learned how to read?
    abstrack@protonmail.com

In 1939, a very famous Japanese martial artist Kenichi Sawei (a fifth dan in Judo and ninth dan in Kenpo) challenged Wang Xiang Zhai, master of Yi (intention) Quan (boxing). Wang bounced Sawei off effortlessly, each time they made contact. Sawei reported being knocked down by what he thought was an electric shock. This indicates that Master Wang's internal force was of a very high level. Master Wang's main practice was the standing Qigong. Sawei became Master Wang's student and studied with him for ten years in China before returning to Japan.
    from the first article
    abstrack@protonmail.com

A tiny eighty year old t'ai ch'i master can, with seeming only sleight of hand, knock over a large opponent without being seen to touch him. He 'kills' the opponent's energy field.
    excerpt from the second one
    abstrack@protonmail.com

I'm sorry but I gave you proof and the style of martial art it was. What now do you want? Are you having comprehension problems of your own? Do you have nothign to say other than insults after i gave you proof!

Not pissed at all. It boggles me why someone with little respect would come out and call me a liar and say I am making **** up out of some fantasy for dragon ball Z. It boggles me that someone with 42 posts has nothing to really contribute to this board, but yet can start **** by calling someone a liar.

When you really start to contribute to this board and really start to help others rather than starting **** and staying the lounge or the fighting forum all the time, then I might get upset but guys like you come on here all the time. You come and go and it wont be long before you leave.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Lol im done with you,your obviously wacked.

I know im not the only one that thinks your not comprehending what you read or either your twisting it on purpose because your phsyco.

Lol im done with you,your obviously wacked.

I know im not the only one that thinks your not comprehending what you read or either your twisting it on purpose because your phsyco.
    your're obviously retarded and closed minded. By the way, learn how to spell. it's you're( you are wacked) not your.. can you comprehend? it's physco comes from the word psy·cho·sis.. you're obviously the one with issues and getting angry.. I actually think it fun to keep messing with your closed mind. read the articles brotha! it's proven if you compare it to my original post.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

see you in the other forums! OH WAIT!? you dont contribute into any other forums.. sorry I'll see you again back in these forums
    abstrack@protonmail.com

hurricanejujitsu is offline Junior Member
    It is a matter of what you want out of your MA... What works for sport Compitition is not necessarily what works in the Street! I Am a Brown belt in Judo/Brazilian JJ/and Traditional Jujitsu, I also practice MuyTai, Sambo, Capoeira,Boxing... I have tought class for the Police Depatment of New Orleans, and sourrounding areas. (rough Steets)
    One things for sure you do not want to be rolling around on the ground in the streets, If your apponents friends dont tee off on your head, the germs (heppititus,HIV) that got ito your blood from scraping your arm will defeat you in the long run weather you win the fight or not! Now thats not to say you have to strike at all, It is actuly better in public to control your opponent and take him to the ground. Contradiction you say? NO) In traditional Jujitsu or small circle Jujitsu one learns to use joint locks, throws and chokes from standing or on the ground, to immobilize and control attackers! like the COPs do! Ever see Old Steven Segal movies? (that is Jujitsu not Aikido, Aikidos is a much larger circle and no strikes) If you want a truly Rounded MA look into JUJITSU in your area. If the teacher is good you will learn all the ground work of BJJ aswell (Newasa)_ and strikes like muytai.

From another thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingofmasters
    Until about the 90's people thought that well trained
    martial artists could kick the ass out of anyone...
    They also took martial arts that lost its sense of purpose like
    Judo, Traditional Jiu Jitsu, Traditional Karate to be superior in every way (due to films like Karate Kid and "Jean Claude van Damme flicks" etc. also other Media-hypes and "Word of Mouth").
    The truth is that these sports are useless since they extremely rarely are useful in real-life situations (Judo; you can only hold on to clothes, Karate Kata's are more dancerythyms then fighting etc.!).
    So since MMA-events peoples' opinions started to change --> When they put a sort non-trained Harley Davidson Roughneck (the likes of Tank Abbot)
    of 300 pounds against Title-bearing, Years Training, Judo Black Belts, the last one would get KO'd in like one minute...
    (Also the myths of Karate Kata's being individual and rythmic being explained like this "The moves the heads of the Old Chinese Family's knew were so deadly and effective that they were only practiced "in air" thus indidual and so overtime became more emphesizing the "Rythmic Part" are also proven to be non-true!!)

Remember and tell it to all the ignorant "Movies and Video-games" believing Karate/Judo Enthousiasts once and for all!
    No Matter What They say!!
    No 60 year old 120 pound man (like the ones in video-games) no matter how well trained and respected can ever beat a 200 pound angry Medium or Low-skilled Boxer/Kickboxer/roughneck etc...
    (I know it sounds cruel but I always enjoy a so called "Skilled" Black Belt Karate/Judo Man "acting all tough" in bars/discos until he gets his ass kicked by someone of similar size who never was trained in his live!! )

The best Martial Arts to learn are the ones that take good aspects from every sport and combine them
    --> Usually only taking moves that are effective and easy to utilize
    (so not like in Judo or JJ doing 40 steps exact to get a throw )
    even when angered on streets...
    The ones that combine Kickboxing with Groundwork and keep in mind that Streetcorners are real hard and get you KO'd easily if thrown on them
    (So the many Judo moves of throwing yourself to get your opponent out of balance end up horribely for the "Skilled Party" )
    Or the ones that keep in mind that streetpavements aren't as soft as Mats in gyms and that your opponent unlike your trainingpartner won't be so willing to cooperate (like helping in making him/her fall etc..) in a certain hold!!
    Also the ones that teach you to use available objects like Snooker-Sticks or Beerbottles in Bars etc.
    And the ones that say "Don't go against more than 3 people unless you have to" and don't be ashamed "To run away if overwhelmed or Outcrowded"
    (He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day!!)
    Many of the Traditional sports have lost their sense of reality ages ago, mainly the reason why they are called TRADITIONAL Martial Arts!

Pancrasse Hybride Boxing and the like are your best bets if you want to learn streetfighting...

Greets
    Kingofmasters

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    crag maga, or join the marines

If you wanna be real! Best bet for the streets SIG 380 or 9mm, otherwise find a style that incorperates all aspects of a fight Striking, Throws, Subbmissions (standing and on the ground), defenses from wepon attacks, multipul attackers, blind folded attacks...ect. If you know it all you wont be surprised by anything! Cross Train!

El CaBaLlO is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner45
    Hey Bro's!! I have tinkered with the idea of trying martial arts out, just as a hobby and quite frankly just another way to get/stay in shape. I was just wondering if any of you guys are into it or tried it out????

Are there any pro's/cons to it?

Any form of martial arts better than the other?? Kick boxing? Karate, etc.

How much do the lessons usually cost??

ANyway, I have just been thinking about it and thought I'd see what you guys have to say! Thanks Bro's!!
    you should try aikido..its one of the most bad ass styles..or if not try krav maga.its what the israeli army uses..i heard those classes are cheap

I second that... Aikido is real and works in the street It is Jujitsu done with a larger circle and no strikes... in the street one may need to add a blinding type strike to pull off some throws, But the philosophy is great... Aikido relys on a fully committed attack to utilize the apponents momentem, "if there is no comitment there is no attack" and you are able to walk away, Aikido artist would never iniciate contact! This is great for our leagal system in the USA too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information