kboxer is offline Junior Member

All who train MMA

whats up fellas. Getting serious about mixed martial arts. I would like to see some of your training routines. Weights too. I have some posts up. I am struggling with putting a lifting routine together to still get bigger and stronger along with training. I want to do 3 days of weights, 3 days of fight training. Weight days I will do some cardio too. Any input would be awesome guys. Thanks

By the way just some background for you guys. 7 years of kickboxing and some thai boxing in there and go into BJJ about 6 months ago but its going well. I stanf at 6-2 about 235. Bench 400, shoulder press 300, squat 315 for reps. About 15% bodyfat. I want to get bigger and lean out yet. For pushing pounds that big my arms should be more than 17.5 in. Thanks

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont want to steal your thread kboxer, just a quick question perhaps you or someone else here will answer... What is the difference in 'mixed martial arts' and 'martial arts'? Im assuming this is a basic question with well...a basic answer, probably any martial art that uses two or more martial arts in one? Example??

thanks

max

Yes it 2 or more. Most people train a stand up style along with some wrestling or ju jitsu. To each his own. I do Brazilian ju jitsu along with an American kickboxing. I throw some thai boxing in. Kickboxing was my heart for years so it is where I started.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    I dont want to steal your thread kboxer, just a quick question perhaps you or someone else here will answer... What is the difference in 'mixed martial arts' and 'martial arts'? Im assuming this is a basic question with well...a basic answer, probably any martial art that uses two or more martial arts in one? Example??

thanks

max

mixed martial arts MMA is the actually no hlds barred type fighting, it doesnt mean combining any two or three martial arts because the truth is that nobody that fights in MMA or NHB today ever uses the traditional karate or taekwondo or even kung fu. These styles are considered very uneffective in a one on one competition situation in wich ground fighting and clinch fighting is allowed. The only actual martial art that some fighters still use in MMA is Judo, as for the other styles used then they are kickboxing, Muay Thai, Sumission fighting and wrestling, also brazilian jui jitsu. These are however considered 'combat/extreme fighting sports' more than they are martial arts..they dont use belt systems or forms/kata and other traditional martial art traits.

Aku
    Aku is offline Junior Member
    If you are attending a class then that should be enough of a work out...use their philosophy and technique...you dont really need to make one up...incorporate weight training but thats about it...I mean I spend hours in class and pretty much follow what my Instructor tells me to work on....

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Let me tell you it's tough! I was taking "Thai-Jitsu" (bjj, muai thai, sub wrestling, boxing, grappling) and trying to continue aheavy lifting. I would lift at lunch or before class then go to class.
    I was lifting 5 days a week and trying to incorporate MMA into it, ain't going to happen. I would say you're better of trying to leanout, but still lift heavy. The mma class (we also had 2 open mats a week for sparring) plus the open mat which was right after the class' was so exhauting and even harder than cardio!
    I unfortunately had to give up the class because of my work schedule and now trying to hit the gym as hard as I can.

I miss the class...my teacher was blown away at how well I took to it... he's a brown belt and I was able to roll with him for about 8 minutes, he tapped me 3x...but I hung in there! Kind of like being the tallest midget eh..

SID

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KAEW44
    mixed martial arts MMA is the actually no hlds barred type fighting, it doesnt mean combining any two or three martial arts because the truth is that nobody that fights in MMA or NHB today ever uses the traditional karate or taekwondo or even kung fu. These styles are considered very uneffective in a one on one competition situation in wich ground fighting and clinch fighting is allowed. The only actual martial art that some fighters still use in MMA is Judo, as for the other styles used then they are kickboxing, Muay Thai, Sumission fighting and wrestling, also brazilian jui jitsu. These are however considered 'combat/extreme fighting sports' more than they are martial arts..they dont use belt systems or forms/kata and other traditional martial art traits.
    yeah, you nailed it right on

What its come too is being big and training dont go hand in hand. I am not competing now but time is an issue.Weights are good but 400lb bench isnt. I guess I wanted the best of both worlds

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Martin from the elitefts q&a has just wrote a book on MMA training, I think its being printed currently, I'm interested to see what he does with his fighters.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    "they dont use belt systems or forms/kata and other traditional martial art traits."

LMFAO @ that one if you include Jiu-Jitsu in that category.

Last time i checked, i was a purple belt in BJJ at Gracie Barra. I guess i better leave it at home next class huh since we don't use them. And since when is Jiu-Jitsu not a martial art? It is said to be the oldest Martial Art there is.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 09-01-2004 at 09:15 PM.

Arry-gato
    Last edited by KAEW44; 09-07-2004 at 03:14 PM.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    LMAO!

You said it all, no need to make a comeback statement, you showed yourself to be a fuktard.

HMMM.... Anybody else on weight training and mma. Dc training perhaps?

Div1Wrestler is offline Junior Member
    Sorry Kb been busy to reply....

As far as weights go I run a 12 week program in cycles

Power -- all power movements 3 sets per exercise (depending on weight class)
    Endurance-- little to no rest in sets 3 to 4 set per exercise
    During a long lay off I will do one body part a day (done this forever its my fave)
    Not a big fan of the push pull days (I dont know why )
    Sports exercises just for mma there's aton out there.

I train MMA 2.5 to 3 hours a day 4 to 5 day a week.. more in the winter time due to job.. But my hearts still in wrestling

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    The biggest problem you will have is overtraining..I have been doing jiu jitsu since 97 and it seems that for me one type of training has to be foremost. I usually do mon--wed--fri with weights and wed and fri with bjj.--If I train weights more I get too big and lose endurance(wind) and techniuqe(probably due to tightness)--if I train jiu jitsu too much my body gets flat,lose muscle and joints get sore---it kind of pisses me off that I cant train both hard-=--so I do it in phases if tournament around train bjj harder if no tournament than weights harder
    Last edited by Tapout; 09-07-2004 at 09:22 AM. Reason: mis spell

I do want to be big, just because I like the appearance of myself as I am growing. At this point I am in the best shape I ever was and training is great. I am lucky to get 2-4 hrs a week of BJJ and weight training 4 right now. Just got a new job so things might change, Right now I am lifting 4 days a week all heavy and compound stuff.

hurricanejujitsu is offline Junior Member
    Read this article by Nick Starks..... He's a shootfighter from Orlando FL., and a student of Gokor
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....icle=252fight2

I train now 4 days of weights and 2 mma and I would like to do 3 days of weights and 3 mma. I dont train as much as you do, so I can hit every body part. Could you post an example of your workout

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    When I have a fight coming up, my morning training consists of sparring with vale tudo gloves on and I do about 5-7 rounds in the cage. Immediately following the rounds, I do a circut consisting of squat jumps, jump rope push ups and sprawls for 3 minute rounds with 30 seconds rest in between. I do 2 complete circuts of this which equals 6 rounds total. Then in the evening I train weights and run a couple of miles. For weights I do a split of Monday:bi,back,hams,abbs. Tues: chest, tri, traps, quads. Wed: off, Thursday and Friday is the same as Monday and Tuesday. After each weight session I run about 30-45 min at 7 mph on the treadmill. Sat I just run and sunday is off.

With MMA, you need to have perfect technique, strength and most of all conditioning. If you cant breathe in the second, how are you going to win the fight? I have run a couple of cycles and noticed that the combination of strength and technique works awesome, but I would still lose sparring if I ran out of breath. You have to look at gear as a double edge sword. On one hand you will throw guys around easier, but at the same time you will gas out quicker.
    just my .02

billy ba, did u go see fightworld 2 this weekend ?

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    Couldnt make it, was strapped for cash, but a couple of buddies fought and I cant believe carlos lost.

Good read brother. I am keeping it at 9-12 heavy sets. For example I did arms tue. My last set of close grip was 325, 3 sets, 3 sets of skull crushers, 3 sets of dips superst with rope. All heavy though. I am trying to do 3 of each but I am only getting 2 days of mma and trying to run at least 3 days a week. I dont want to fight right now, but get myself to the point that if I want to train competitively, I will be ready. A week of fight training would kill me right now

I have some wrestling background. I always start in positions where I am uncomfortable, like someone having side mount on me etc. You have to leave that comfort zone.

nhbvaletudo is offline New Member
    Wow ....Im new to this forum and Im very glad I found it. I read MMA s threads and you were very informative and its nice to see someone who is obvioulsy in the game. I look forward to reading and conversing with you. I am also invloved in MMA. Vahda, Joe Lewis Fighting sysytems, Hagana, BJJ

Remember ......"The more you sweat in training..The less you bleed in battle"

fullback40 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMA
    nice to meet u NHB, it's good to have more serious MMA guys to exchange info with. BTW - you're from jersey, you ever fight in any of Kipps shows?
    The NAGA will be back down in FL around Feb 2005, I think. I will fight no-gi intermediate (given no injuries before it's here). Kipp's tourney's are getting more and more organized also with a better talent pool. I heard Jersey has alot of participants. I read on MMA.TV where some dude came in as a white belt with a huge grappling/judo resume and ended up getting called out on that website. I think that was naga chicago. He got 1st of course, but someone who he beat did some checking and found out this guy was at worst purple level. The sandbagger didnt even explain himself -the list of his accomplishments was very long......

Sorry if i went off topic. I love BJJ!!

Thread Information