Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Difference betwen amature and pro boxing?

Now when watching the olympic boxing I got kind of curious on how well those amature boxers would be against the pro boxers.

Is the best amature boxers(the ones that wins and comes second in the olympics) about as good as a shabby pro in the same weightclass or are they comperable to the top of the crop pro's??

depends what pro's were talking about...against a seasoned champ....they would get destroyed....against a contender they would aloso get destroyed...now...theres plenty of fighters who just fight n have ****y records....n lose all the time...against them they would do good...they have to find a middle ground between the wasted talent n the contenders. to start workin there way up..

i love boxing, its the best sport to watch..i dont watch the olympics though, i prefer professional..championship fights.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member

too bad tyson isn't fighting the way he used to eh? i used to love watching him completely destroy people. it just pissed me off sometimes when i payed a few hundred dollars to see him fight when the fight ends in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    The pro's the one standing after the match. hahahahaha

hurricanejujitsu is offline Junior Member
    The difference is Pro means you are a prize fighter meaning you fight for money.... Many chump fighters turn pro too early and dont have the amature experience to excel!!
    On the other hand, there are many Champions that have been Olympic Medalist.... Roy Jones, Tyson...just to name a couple.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Some of the olypic boxers are very very good even though they compete at amateur level, they represent their countries and go through very tough competition to get where they are now, and some of them dedicate all their lives to be olympic boxers..wich means at one stage they exceed the level of a pro boxer.

hurricanejujitsu is offline Junior Member
    True... It is truly world class!

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Now when watching the olympic boxing I got kind of curious on how well those amature boxers would be against the pro boxers.

Is the best amature boxers(the ones that wins and comes second in the olympics) about as good as a shabby pro in the same weightclass or are they comperable to the top of the crop pro's??
    there alot of diffrent boxing federations in local communities

ussually an amateur fighter is classed at fighting 10 or less fights, they do 4x2 minute rounds and CONSTANTLY get solid clean shots on eachother, both amatuer fighters often have weak defenses

pro-fighters (which you will especially see in heavy wieght bouts) MUST be very careful how they go about moving and striking, often times both fighters will be toe-to-toe and just try to read eachother w/o commiting themselves to any offensive action, a clean hit from an experience fighter is the deciding point of any match

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    btw did anyone se that awsome 17 year old boxer from great brittain. **** he is good

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    Amatuers and pros fight 2 different fights.
    For 1 amatuers fight with headgear, headgear was not made to cushion the blow of a good punch (though it does alittle), it was actually made to stop cuts from heads colliding. They also only fight 3 or 4 (2) min. rounds, depending on their amatuer expierience level. with less than 10 fights you are listed as a novice and fight 3 rounds, with over 10 you are in the open class and fight 4 rounds sometimes a few more.
    Amatuers also fight for points, you start out with 0 points and they get a certain amount of points each round for clean punchs, most judges in amatuer boxing don't give points for body shots either, thats why they hardly ever use them. At the end of the fight all the points are added up from each round and who ever has the most wins.

The difference in the point system is in the pro's as you know you start each round with 10 points, then they deduct up to 3 points from the fighter who they feel is losing the round.
    There are also many differences in the actual ring rules and obviously the strategies of pro's and amateur's.
    That is usually why even the best amateur's will fight their first 10 or so fights against bottom ranked pro's. They just basiclly need to learn to fight to the pro level. Some of them are very, very talented fighters and will do great as a pro, there are alot of olympians currently fighting in the pro ranks that are doing very well, or have done very well.
    Most olympic boxers who do well will be offered a pro contract.
    So I feel that most of the boxers who are picked to fight for their country at the olympics are good enough to be pro's, but need to be taught to fight the pro's fight. Even though its the same sport its 2 different fights entierly between pro's and amateurs.

Slick Arrado is offline Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by THA GONZ
    The difference in the point system is in the pro's as you know you start each round with 10 points, then they deduct up to 3 points from the fighter who they feel is losing the round.
    They can deduct more. Usually just a one point deduction for the loser of the round.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanejujitsu
    On the other hand, there are many Champions that have been Olympic Medalist.... Roy Jones, Tyson...just to name a couple.
    Hurricanejujitsu, what Olympics did Tyson fight in and what medal did he win?
    :spudniklu

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Arrado
    They can deduct more. Usually just a one point deduction for the loser of the round.
    I know they can deduct more than 3 points but its very unusual unless there is excessive fouling and that usually leads to disqualification. Usually 1 point if you lose the round 2 points if you get knocked down and 3 points for multiple knock downs. It is very rare to see more than 3 points deducted in a single round.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Arrado
    Hurricanejujitsu, what Olympics did Tyson fight in and what medal did he win?
    :spudniklu
    Tyson fought in the 82' junior olympics for a chance to represent the us in the 84' olympics and lost to Henry Tilman who went on to win the gold in the 84' olympics heavyweight division.

Slick Arrado is offline Member

Talking

I know they can deduct more than 3 points but its very unusual unless there is excessive fouling and that usually leads to disqualification. Usually 1 point if you lose the round 2 points if you get knocked down and 3 points for multiple knock downs. It is very rare to see more than 3 points deducted in a single round.
    Yes, it is very unusual. Did you watch Marquez-Pac? How did you score the first round.

Tyson fought in the 82' junior olympics for a chance to represent the us in the 84' olympics and lost to Henry Tilman who went on to win the gold in the 84' olympics heavyweight division.
    Yes, he lost to Tillman in the trials and then turned pro. :spudniklu

jonnyblade is offline New Member
    In the end there is no difference, there are good and bad in both, I know some guys who are average amatuers who are goin pro and even guys that never fought amatuer going pro. The main aspect is once you fight pro you cant go back to amatuer, and noone wants to pay money to see some bum get beat up in the ring, so you better no how to box and be in shape if ya want to make any dollars.

Thread Information