unclemoney is offline Senior Member

What type of fighting sport?

Hey, I am currently 193 at 9%bf and 5'8" and would like to get involved in some kind of fighting sport... not sure were to start I mean theres alot of differnt sports out there, were do you think would be a good place to start off something like this? Also what type of sports will let you slam the person? Because if I get the chance I like to pick people up and slam them.

MsHeadBanger is offline Junior Member
    You could take up brazillian jiu-jitsu and do some submission tournaments. If you like, keep doing them. You could also take up kickboxing. Muay Thai, being the best, IMO. Then do some modified thai fights. If you like, try working with a wrestler a little for takedowns and sprawls, then go on to compete MMA. What state are you in?

tubbytank is offline Associate Member
    You are most energetic for 193...waht's the secret?

Hell, I usually walk around at 190-195lbs. As of now, I'm about 204lbs. But I have plenty of energy naturally.

I live in virginia.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    go check out several schools and styles and then decide for yourself what is best for you. and dont just watch, a good school should have no problem with you working out with them. and pass up the ones requiring a long term contract, they just want your money

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    Good thing today with schools is that many of them are actually teaching a load of martial arts and not one, the school i will go to in January of this year if i can get my lower back fixed LOl is Sodo Budo, it majors in Jiu Jitsu but the techics include some of kyo kushin karate and aikido, joint manipulation and no kata.

I have done Tae Kwon Do for over 7 years and Karate for 3 but when someone asks me where they should go i try to point them in a school that they incororate everything from standing technics to ground.

Yeah I'm looking for school around my area... I figure I will finish up my current ps cycle first and then after that go on a cutting cycle and start going to a school early next year or maby late december. I figure that way it gives me time to look around at schools and learn about differnt fighting styles.

Go to mma.tv, or sherdog.com. You can find schools with gym finder, or post in the underground forum on mma.tv.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemoney
    I live in virginia.

www.bjj.org

Find a school on your area.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubbytank
    You are most energetic for 193...waht's the secret?
    doesnt look like anybody caught that...

DOH!! *slaps head*

jonnyblade is offline New Member
    Join wrestling if you want to slam someone, I did it for a year and a half and they know how to do it best, you get extra points if there feet go over there head when you throw them, so that will tell ya how fun it is, not to mention free (usually) most universities and some high schools will have a team that you can openly join, most wrestling tournaments for university are open to non-students 19 years and over. I box now and I find it the most intense workout compared to other arts, boxers dont screw around with training, its usually at least 5 days a week for 2 hours of nonstop cardio and you get lots of sparring. Oh yeah if your in a sport that doesnt spar at least once a week get out cause you will look like a fool when its time to fight. I also did BJJ for a year its great to learn but the stand up is not there, you can also beat someone with BJJ, but when your in a bar or downtown, the ground is the last place you want to be, I feel way better that one right cross will flatten a guy in a half a second then trying to figure out how I am gonna break his arm before his buddy hits me with that bottle.

My 2 cents

Thread Information