Aggression is offline Member

2 day a week lifting program for an amatuer boxer

Is this a good 2 day a week lifting program for an amateur boxer? I'm 24 years old 6' 220. Anyway here is the workout I plan on doing if I start boxing again:

Mon Day 1

Squats
    Dumbell Bench Press
    Rear rotator cuff exercise
    Front rotator cuff exercise
    4 way neck machine

Fri Day 3

Deads
    Seated dumbell shrugs
    Seated cable rows
    Wide grip lat pulldowns

Upper and lower abs and obliques I would be doing three times a week in my boxing workout.

Deads I will do 5 sets, reps of 6,5,4,3 and one last set until failure all while increasing the weight each set.The neck machine I will do 5 sets of 10 all while increasing the weight each set. For my rotator cuff exercises I will do 3 sets, reps of 15,12, and one last set until failure all while increasing the weight each set. All other exercises will be 5 sets, reps of 10,8,6,4 and one last set until failure all while increasing the weight each set.

I know this is only 2 days a week but if I start boxing again I won't have the time or energy (because of boxing,work,etc.) to do more.

Well how's it look?
    Last edited by Aggression; 09-20-2004 at 11:48 PM.

imann is offline Member
    Get with the program and lift like at least half a man.I used to fight, i would just down the wieght and up the reps.Get a real split.

Aggression is offline Member
    Any suggestions?

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imann
    Get with the program and lift like at least half a man.I used to fight, i would just down the wieght and up the reps.Get a real split.
    Your program looks OK, but like MMA said you should throw in some plyometrics. He really seems to have his training on lock down, def knows his stuff!

You should not be doing any isolation exercises as they probably won't have any positive effects on what you are going for. Boxers and weight lifters are lifting for completely different reasons.

AS for the low weight high rep thing, don't do it!
    You should be lifting about 70-80% (or heavier if you wish) of your one rep max for 5-8 reps and about 4 sets each if you want to improve your explosive power. Also Don't do the slow controled movements ratios like the 3 sec down 2 sec hold and 3 sec up stuff. For example if you are benching you should bring the weigth down controlled and then explode to the top. All with good form, don't get sloppy. This will help you with your explosive power as will plyometrics.

If you aren't training for an upcoming fight you could throw in a third day at the gym because your roadwork and boxing work shouldn't be as heavy.

When you are training for a fight I usually cut it to 2 days weights w/plyometrics(nights), 5 days boxing w/ 2 or 3 days sparring(nights), 3-4 days sprint training (mornings), and 2 days running distance (mornings) and 1 day complete rest. I usually do this for the 12 weeks leading up to a bout if I have the time. starting slow building to a peak then tappering off the training in the weeks before the fight, then just upkeep training before the fight so I don't leave all my energy training.

You don't always have 12 weeks to prepare so you'll have to get creative. I am almost exactly 12 weeks out on the Golden Gloves in January right now and am just about to begin my fight training program.
    Last edited by THA GONZ; 09-23-2004 at 06:02 PM.

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMA
    i disagree. i had to reduce the volume of weight training to continue to make gains while fighting. doing a full boxing routine and a full lifting routine leads to overtraining and kills your gains. - BTW - why no tricep work or plyos?
    Amen, to that!

jonnyblade is offline New Member
    Weights and boxing are tough, I box mon - thur for 2 hours a night, I try to slip a muscle in with the workout, just make sure you recovered enough, take a shake before and during the workout, with protein, creatine and whatver else u put in it, make sure u get lots of sugar before and after as well. A sample workout would be take a shake a bit before no meal(guts just dont hold it lol), box for an hour, take another shake, 12 sets of bench(incline, flat, flys etc) mix it up. Next day same thing but do biceps, next day box but no weights, then next day box, and small muscles (forearm, calves, etc), next day box but no weights, then on the weekend hit up your big lifts deadlift,with squats on one day and sholders on the other day with upper back no boxing done at this time, maybe some cardio but nothing stressfull on the body. I dont do it very intense but if you eat good and take the right supplements you can go pretty hard. If you juice heavy is should be a breeze but I am steering clear of that for now.

Thread Information