Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member

I want to start kickboxing

Im thinking of starting kickboxing in the very near future, just wanted some feedback on it.
    Is it a hard sport to master? does it hurt when you get a kicking? things like that

MsHeadBanger is offline Junior Member
    Kickboxing is like any other martial art. It takes time and dedication to learn. As far as hurt, etc., you'll have the typical "pains" of any other martial art. Does it hurt getting kicked? Not really. Not unless you are sparring hard or in a competition. Although bag work (kicking the banana bag) and pad work take some getting used to. But the more you do it, the more conditioned your shins will be. It is really fun. It is really affective. Start training and ENJOY!!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    Im thinking of starting kickboxing in the very near future, just wanted some feedback on it.
    Is it a hard sport to master? does it hurt when you get a kicking? things like that

I've competed in the UK, but not Newcastle. This HERE its an excellent UK based Martial Arts board. You might also want to checkout THIS ONE TOO although its almost 100% MMA.

If you wish I can ask about a good dojo in Newcastle.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Kickboxing is a very good martial art and much more effective than any traditional style for stand up fighting, but BEWARE!!!! because i heard that there are some schools that basically teach karate and call it kickboxing!! If there is a belt system or if it requires uniforms and does forms/kata then stay away they will waste your time.....i recomend go for a Muay Thai gym because they are more serious about training.

As for the pain factor...if u want to compete ever or be a serious fighter then u need to be mentally tough and understand that u have to take some shots sometime.

Always!! Always wear protective equipmnt when sparring especially boxing headger, mouth piece and groin cup, also shinpads and foot pads are optional. Dont wear shin pads when kicking pads or bags because u want to toughen your lwgs and shins...but when sparring with a friend wear them its not worth the injury while training.

good luck.

Yeah, cheers bouncer that would be much appreciated. Just PM me the details when you get a minute

Well it'll take awhile to make enquiries. Regarding the belt system, I really don't know a kickboxing club without one. Most if not all the clubs in the UK will be Karate based with gradings, kata/forms and semi-contact (points) fighting. Just because your kickboxing club will most likely be Karate based doesn't mean it'll be useless, there's been some fine Karate fighters K-1 over the years, look at Andy Hug (Kyokushin) for one. But having said that, I think the Karate side of kickboxing is pretty useless and thankfully will be a tiny part of your training, except for your grading syllabus which will almost be totally Karate based.

MsHeadBanger is offline Junior Member
    My jiu-jitsu instructor spent 6 months in Copenhagen, Denmark at Mikenta's Gym. Awesome Muay Thai camp.

Think I will definitly look into this but Im gonna do a bit research first to see how much its gonna cost and how much time I will need to dedicate to it cos I would probably incorporate it into my training program at present.

But to be honest I think il wait till January when I have completed all my Assesments for my fitness course

Quote Originally Posted by MMA
    muay thai is lot more efficient than most of the other kinds of kickboxing, try to find a good MT school.

True, unless there's something specific drawing you to kickboxing. Again I can only advise you look up CAGEWARRIORS for an M.T. club in Newcastle, there has to be a few.

Yeah, Il take a look. Cheers

Thread Information