Thread: Aikido anyone?

marka is offline Associate Member

Aikido anyone?

Hello felas,

You've helped decide what is the best MA: BJJ or Judo, combined with some Boxing or Kick B.

The thing is I already invested about 5 mo of my time in Aikido this year...I stopped some mo ago for a cycle, but now that I am back.....before I start from scratch in BJJ or Judo, is everyone sure Aikido when it comes to real life self defense, is not one of the best?

Thanks

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    aikido is horrible for self defense. Starting over is way better that sticking it out with something that will be useless even after 5years of training

Thanks.

NUTRI-VET is offline Junior Member
    Tell that to Steven Segal. i have been taking MMA for 15 years. Brazilian jijitsu, japanese Jijitsu kickboxing ,tae kwon doe ,kempoe. I have met Steve Sagal and he is the real deal he is a 7th don and has a school in Japan. The things that gut can do are incrediable. The problem is the akido your taking probably is garbage there are not to many realy good Akido schools. One of my teacher is also a 7th don from Japan his name is shihan Hansan he teacher traditional Japanese jijitsu and is from The Silent Flute he is an American. He ney works all around the world I trained with the Gracies, Gokor and Gene Lebell , Bennie The Jet. I liked Gokor and Gene the best. They teach alot of Russian Sombo leg locks chokes. Go to www.gokor.com to check him out.

Quote Originally Posted by billy_ba
    aikido is horrible for self defense. Starting over is way better that sticking it out with something that will be useless even after 5years of training
    Last edited by NUTRI-VET; 11-22-2004 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks for the reply. So for someone looking for some real llife street self defense....would you say aikido is very good...or should I go with BJJ or jUdo?
    Aikido seems awesome,but seems like it will take me yrs by the time I can kick but..... can you talk a little bit more about aikido? especially since it seems you have tried various MA. Thanks!

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    gokor and gene do a lot of catch type wrestling moves which are very effective. Very similar to the no gi grappling that I do. The problem I have with aikido is that it's all a randori demonstration. They let eachother throw eachother if that makes sense. This is why i say it's useless. Have you ever seen an aikido student try to stop a double leg? Not pretty nor effective. So as far as aikido goes, it may look cool in the movies but I have yet to see anything that backs it up. An incident involving aikido happened last year when a judo/aikido school challenged our no gi submission school. Our beginners smoked their top students and my instructor beat their instructor in about 30 seconds who was a 3rd dan in aikido and also a BB in judo. I didnt get a chance to roll with their guys because I was training for a fight at that time, but I Imagine I could have tapped the instructor pretty quickly being that I can hang with my instructor. Our school is Jacksons Submission fighting, we are 3 time team champions for the grapplers quest national championships. As far as MMA goes, its not really what you train, it's who you train with and how hard you train. You can do bjj at a ****ty school and suck at fighting or you can go to a top school, train hard and be a badass. 99% of people on the streets have no idea how to fight so even if you trained the worst martial arts there was, it would be better than training nothing at all. If you want to be a cage fighter, go with some form of grappling and some form of kickboxing to cover all aspects of fighting. Remember, people can say that one form of martial arts is more effective that another form but look at whats been proven in the cage. Whatever you choose to do, train hard, ask around about the school and learn something.

Thanks. Great answer. Its true, in Aikido, its always these fake situations, and these moves that in real life just would not seem effective...........my gut was telling me this......thats why I started questioning it.........so I will try BBJ or Judo, depending on the best school I can find.
    Thanks to all for answering.

I meant BJJ...sorry

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    PLease let us know how you progress.

Thanks, I will.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Hey, I've a Judo competition on Saturday, I'll post up some photos from it for you over the weekend.

Cool. Good luck at the fight. Go easy on them

Thread Information