SickNasty is offline Associate Member

Amatuer Boxing Questions?

In a town 35 minutes from mine they have amatuer boxing on wednesday nights, $125 dollars to the winner $50 to the loser. Basically they just do it to sell beer to the people that come. I went and watched last wednesday night and as I just turned 18 I can now participate, I don't care about the money I just want to hit people.

All the kids, except a 160 lb black dude, knew nothing they just swung and swung all haymakers no jabs or nothing.

3 rounds at 2 minutes

The weight classes aren't set in stone, they just stick "like weights" together like a 189 vs 193 161 vs 168

You pretty much pick your fights like if you wanted to you could fight the guy who has the belt in your general weight group, or you could fight a newbie, or if he was scary you didnt have to fight.

I am 194 lbs about 8%bf, bench 305, really explosive vertical leap is 37", I know nothing about boxing, am an allstate football player for 2 years, played linebacker so I am no pussy

What do you think I should do considering I have no boxing school in my town, have good conditioning already and great strength?

I could probably get a heavy bag but have no **** idea what to do with it besides hit it alot, besides I dont even know how heavy to get the thing. I have alot of friends willing to spar. I just really don't know how to get ready to do this besides get in shape which is easy enough.

Do you think I should just go in knowing nothing at all and just throw more punches and win that way or what? Are there any good "how to" boxing videos out there?

BigRandy is offline Associate Member
    so you dont know anyone who boxes? get in shape and aim for his chin

jonnyblade is offline New Member
    Boxing is all habit, you have to practice all the time, to develope good stance and through proper punches, you can lift all the weight in the world its not really going to help, it all comes down to your form, speed and bodywieght behind the punch. Such as 60mph * 194lbs = x force. The better your form the more of your weight you can put into it and keep your balance at the same time. Get a heavy bag, always keep your head up/chin tucked in your arm, your hands are always above your ears, the only time you move them is when you hit the bag. Do about six 2 minute rounds everyday with nothing but strait punches and you will have a better grip on it. One thing to remember is that 2 minutes in the ring is like 10 on the bag.

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    www.rossboxing.com
    www.ringsideboxing.com
    www.titleboxing.com

All those sites have either how to videos or books. It will not be as good as a trainer, but they will atleast show you the basics. From there its up to you and how much you practice.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyblade
    One thing to remember is that 2 minutes in the ring is like 10 on the bag.
    Jonnyblade pretty much hit it, cardio and a strong straight-arm will win all those fights

THA GONZ that http://www.rossboxing.com is a pretty good site. It gets my 2 thumbs up.

jonnyblade, IMO that is one of the best sites on the web. Very informative!! His books are also great. I reccomend that site to everyone that asks me about boxing. Ross is a great guy and he knows his sh*t!! He always respondes to emails and posts on his forums.

Well thats good news, I guess I will start grilling him with the questions now lol jk.

thanks a bunch, I do know how to hit trust me on this one I often put 260lb linemen on their but with a forearm shiver or an open hand punch to the chest.

I have watched some of the videos on the net and learned a few things like jabs and power and hooks.

thanx for the tip on ross, i watched his training video a couple of months ago, he is a machine! I am going to check out those forums

I am going to spar with some friends and work on jabbing and throwing the hook to the solar plexus, I think it will be very effective fighting these kids because they always telegraph the big right coming and they throw it like 30 times in 3 rounds

thanx everyone but one question for johnny blade
    do they say keep your hands above your ears just to exaggerate keeping your hands up, so newbies do, or is this what you really should do
    I read some where that the opposite hand when you are throwing your punch with should be touching your chin, and you never swing with the other arm untill the one you just punched with is in its original position is this correct?

again thanks a ton

Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty
    thanx for the tip on ross, i watched his training video a couple of months ago, he is a machine! I am going to check out those forums
    Lots of good info on there bro, Ross is definatly a machine like no other when it comes to conditioning!

I am going to spar with some friends and work on jabbing and throwing the hook to the solar plexus, I think it will be very effective fighting these kids because they always telegraph the big right coming and they throw it like 30 times in 3 rounds
    Most people who are untrained will always telegraph the right hand, or any punch they throw for that matter. Learn to slip and parry punches. Most likely after they throw a punch they won't be very well balanced, which would be an ideal time to land some shots. Stay busy with your jab to keep them out of ryhtme and set up other punches for youself.

thanx everyone but one question for johnny blade
    do they say keep your hands above your ears just to exaggerate keeping your hands up, so newbies do, or is this what you really should do
    I read some where that the opposite hand when you are throwing your punch with should be touching your chin, and you never swing with the other arm untill the one you just punched with is in its original position is this correct?
    I know this was directed towards Jonnyblade, but IMO you will have to find a comfortable position for your hands. I don't keep my hands above my ears, I keep them at about eye level or alittle below. If you hold your hands to high up you will leave your body wide open, just watch the Aturo Gatti vs. Leonard Dorin fight.
    You must keep them up either way and yes always return your hands directly to you face after you throw. If you fought a skilled fighter and your hand comes back even alittle low, you could be in some trouble.

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by THA GONZ; 12-07-2004 at 07:00 AM.

bitta is offline Associate Member
    bro Im sure you can find a trainer somewhere that can work w/ you. If you start out trying to teach yourself you will develop bad habbits, I though I could box b/c I was always in fights growing up and didnt lose too often 1on1 but when I started training he was like"how the hell have you won any fights?" then he hit me the first time we sparred, he was 140 I was 200 lbs, knocked me into next week! its all about technique to get the most out of your punches without leaving an opening, also balance and leverage are important and of course endurance is HUGE I would practice on a heavy bag 5/ 5 minuite rounds then jump rope for about 15-20 minuits, get some mits and have a friend "tease" you w/ them to practice your precision, the heavy bag will give you strength in your punches but the mits will help you hit the target you wish to exute that strength on. BTW what town are you from?

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean by newbs telegraphing their right hands?

What I ment with the hands was just for newbies, I recommend holding them on your ears while you hit the bag just so you know there up, the better you get at boxing the less ofter you will have your hands up there, but for just starting, it works farley well, and keep the elbows in too.

Thanks for all the advice a trainer is non existent I live in a town of 5000 people so not much around to get help from. I live in the rocky mountains practically, I got a big ass 6'4" 230lb friend who likes to box people so we are going to pound on each other this weekend.

ash146 is offline Junior Member
    you're a brave soul dude. most clubs i know won't put a guy in the ring at least after 6 months of real work on the heavy bag, speed bag, shadow boxing, rope, cardio etc.

Regardless - Cardio is must. if you dont have this - 2 mins is gonna feel like forever. AT the very least invest in a quality mouth guard - going home with your teeth is a lot more better then 50bucks and a black eye.

like everyone said - keep your hands up .... don't square up .... if you don't know what to do, just keep jabbing - everything happens of the jab .... BE PREPARED TO BE ROCKED. getting hit with gloves is no joke. Don't neccessarily swing for a guy's head - its a small target which is generally protected well. bang the body.

Thread Information