Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    d[-_-]b is offline New Member

Taking Down The Big Guy

im not that tall...about 5'8...i will **** some people up if its a boxing type scenario....but what u guys think is the best way to take down a big guy?...these tall mother****ers have an advantage if they get to close u cant really do anything...they'll usually go for the bear hug and try to drop u...whats a good counter?, or what are some effective ways of getting the big dudes?

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    learn jiu jitsu and judo! you wont be able to do any moves on anyone unless you practice. Its not like someone can tell you how to do something on a message board and next day in a fight you try it. You will regret it. If you have trouble fighting big guys use your legs to equalize the distance advantage hey have (thats if you know how to kick) then move in and light em up with you boxing skills. Or the best self defense....RUN LIKE HELL!!! But if you are seriouse, then I would invest some time in training in one or both of the two arts I mentioned.

When you get proficient in jiu jitsu or judo you will find that wrestling with your buddies that dont know it, and fighting people that dont know it, get kind of borring, if you know whatI mean!!!

Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d[-_-]b
    im not that tall...about 5'8...i will **** some people up if its a boxing type scenario....but what u guys think is the best way to take down a big guy?...these tall mother****ers have an advantage if they get to close u cant really do anything...they'll usually go for the bear hug and try to drop u...whats a good counter?, or what are some effective ways of getting the big dudes?

I would imagin boxing a taller person would also be difficult.. the taller the person the more likely there arms are going to be long , thus there reach will be greater than yours...

Swellin Guest
    Hoss?

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    Hoss is long gone... maby that is him I duno... leme talk to him on aim. But even if it was hoss I have no clue, I wouldn't say it was him anyways.

Odin is offline Member
    Well i'm 5'9 230 and when I bounce and a fight goes outside I have 1 moves that simple that always works for me. i get close and wait relaxed for their first move hopefully a punch. I like to circle them as well to test out their balance somtimes quickly then once I see an opening I go for a 2 hands on 1 arm chuck, I pretty much pull them past me, once their if their not an expericed wresiler or familur with the ground it over. Strong legs and good hip countroll as well as a stong supporting mucles abs and back are really important. Cirlce cause you don't want to get charged by a bigger guy, and if you make it in on the side like I said just watch out for the left elbow by staying low but you should have his left arm pinned against in body if you wrap around him right with the hold, from their if you can handle his weight slam him back on his head if he's too heavy a simple little trip forward should work. MOST important never get nervious cause their Taller! i don't like shooting legs cause it leaves you opon for a front Gilatien, or a downward elbow. a fake punch to a chuck and a fake leg shot to a chuck work well also. One nice thing about being shorter is that you do have center of gravity on them when you lock up.

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemoney
    Hoss is long gone... maby that is him I duno... leme talk to him on aim. But even if it was hoss I have no clue, I wouldn't say it was him anyways.
    You missed my point. This thread has the exact same tone as about ten of Hoss' old threads on fighting.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ
    learn jiu jitsu and judo! you wont be able to do any moves on anyone unless you practice. Its not like someone can tell you how to do something on a message board and next day in a fight you try it. You will regret it. If you have trouble fighting big guys use your legs to equalize the distance advantage hey have (thats if you know how to kick) then move in and light em up with you boxing skills. Or the best self defense....RUN LIKE HELL!!! But if you are seriouse, then I would invest some time in training in one or both of the two arts I mentioned.

When you get proficient in jiu jitsu or judo you will find that wrestling with your buddies that dont know it, and fighting people that dont know it, get kind of borring, if you know whatI mean!!!
    Ditto what he said. You'll learn nothing here.

jonnyblade is offline New Member
    Yeah I agree too, I wrestled in university and moves I would do on a middle weight I could never do on a heavyweight, its a whole different game. One thing I know is big guys arent half as tuff as they think they are, its just everyone is scarred of them, most of them drop like rocks when they get a smack in the mouth. Also a lot are slow and cant really hit hard, size only matters if you got speed to go with it.

Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyblade
    Yeah I agree too, I wrestled in university and moves I would do on a middle weight I could never do on a heavyweight, its a whole different game. One thing I know is big guys arent half as tuff as they think they are, its just everyone is scarred of them, most of them drop like rocks when they get a smack in the mouth. Also a lot are slow and cant really hit hard, size only matters if you got speed to go with it.
    you get a big man with skill and a smaller man with equal skill , the small man will loose .

mma_badboy is offline Junior Member
    change levels when he punches and shoot for double leg!

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    takedowns are easy against untrained people. hit a double leg or inside single.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I'm 6" 230 and wrestled too, what would you do to me?

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    on the street?

get a tire iron and smash him in the back of the head when he's not looking

just a thought

I like GQs idea

HeavyHitter is offline Anabolic Member
    One thing I know is big guys arent half as tuff as they think they are, its just everyone is scarred of them, most of them drop like rocks when they get a smack in the mouth. Also a lot are slow and cant really hit hard, size only matters if you got speed to go with it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, but depending your size toughness and attitude, you can very easily take down bigger guys. When you street fight, its not like your really hitting a wrestling double-leg, its going to be a spear double. (with bigger guys you have to utilize there own weight and momentum agaiinst them.) Plus, when fighting taller guys, your best bet is to stay close b/c like gorg said, their reach is much greater.

well I don't know if I am considered big or not but cause I wrestled I like to get ahold of em first them the party starts. But that was the old me. I haven't had a fight since The fourth of July ! LOL

I would punch you in the face to get your sprawling leverage going up or back then shoot the double. There are two reactions to getting punched, 1 is to go backwards or sideways if thats the case, you rush the punches and go for the KO. Option 2 is to block the punches I throw or to throw punches of your own. This is better for the takedown because if someone is blocking their legs are completely free to shoot in on and their leverage is uptop from blocking the shots. If someone throws at you, you perry the punch or bob and weave into a shot under the arm throwing the punch. Overall it's way easier to take someone down who is blocking punches. Im not saying your takedowns suck or that I would kick your ass but the whole punching before shootin works pretty well even against good (div-1) wrestlers in my experience because adding upfighting and grappling turns a fight into a whole different ballgame.

But nothing beats the good sucker punch for the best streetfight move ever.
    just my.02

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    I'm 6" 230 and wrestled too, what would you do to me?

I played footall too and have had many concussions and always get sucker puched cause i never start fights. I can take a pounding to the skull pretty good, it may make me dizzy but it usually pisses me off. I have been clocked by some good ones. Fighting sucks. I hate it.

haha, i hate fighting too. I hate the fact that you may be able to beat some guys ass but they can always pull a gun on you. Thats why I prefer safe fighting environments such as the ring/cage.

I played footall too and have had many concussions and always get sucker puched cause i never start fights. I can take a pounding to the skull pretty good, it may make me dizzy but it usually pisses me off. I have been clocked by some good ones. Fighting sucks. I hate it.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Who is HOSS!

I dont know about you guys, and I am not trying to be rude or disrespectfull,
    but I have been in lots of fights growing up(all black school I was one of the few few white kids), Ive been jumped, shot at, chased by cars (its tough when you are poor),...
    I am also a MMA fighter and used to be a bouncer.
    I know what works and what doesnt.
    You can Kind of talk about this stuff to an extent but it really isnt feasable, because you are who you are and you know what you know, and if you train to fight..well thats another thing...
    but to talk about first hits and how to get big guys down and stuff like that...eehh
    not much good except for conversations.
    On a seriouse note, fighting is not smart.
    not only do you look stupid, but you could get sued, go to jail, fined, etc. etc.
    You can never tell what a person is capable of just by looking at them. Hence the big guys arent tough theory(totally false)!
    In this day and age you dont know who is carrying a gun or if they have friends that will come to your house and shoot your house up, stuff like that!
    If you are smart it would be much better to destroy someones ego by making everyone laugh at them, than destroying their face, and having to deal with the consequences..
    oh ya what if the person has AIDS? what you gona do when their blood is all over you? In self defense, ya you have no choice but like I said...""

I am not trying to come off as a dick guys, just watching out for yall, thats all, and put some stuff into perspective.

Talking about fighting is always fun but fighting, unless you are in the ring, is NOT

PEACE!!!
    Last edited by phwSSJ; 12-19-2004 at 06:42 AM.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Guess if HOSS sounded like me then he knew what he was talking about!

He he he !

Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ
    Who is HOSS!

I dont know about you guys, and I am not trying to be rude or disrespectfull,
    but I have been in lots of fights growing up(all black school I was one of the few few white kids), Ive been jumped, shot at, chased by cars (its tough when you are poor),...
    I am also a MMA fighter and used to be a bouncer.
    I know what works and what doesnt.
    You can Kind of talk about this stuff to an extent but it really isnt feasable, because you are who you are and you know what you know, and if you train to fight..well thats another thing...
    but to talk about first hits and how to get big guys down and stuff like that...eehh
    not much good except for conversations.
    On a seriouse note, fighting is not smart.
    not only do you look stupid, but you could get sued, go to jail, fined, etc. etc.
    You can never tell what a person is capable of just by looking at them. Hence the big guys arent tough theory(totally false)!
    In this day and age you dont know who is carrying a gun or if they have friends that will come to your house and shoot your house up, stuff like that!
    If you are smart it would be much better to destroy someones ego by making everyone laugh at them, than destroying their face, and having to deal with the consequences..
    oh ya what if the person has AIDS? what you gona do when their blood is all over you? In self defense, ya you have no choice but like I said...""

I am not trying to come off as a dick guys, just watching out for yall, thats all, and put some stuff into perspective.

Talking about fighting is always fun but fighting, unless you are in the ring, is NOT

PEACE!!!

thanks bro....

Agreed it's not like it used to be I just turned 39 so I'm an OG by board standards back in the old days you could fight someone and them go have a beer with them , no more. Fighting then was not as serious as it is now. BTW the thing in July was helping a woman who was being manhandled by a drunk college guy. I hate fighting and always will.

Agreed it's not like it used to be I just turned 39 so I'm an OG by board standards back in the old days you could fight someone and them go have a beer with them , no more. Fighting then was not as serious as it is now. BTW the thing in July was helping a woman who was being manhandled by a drunk college guy. I hate fighting and always will.
    thats pretty funny.... 4-6 years ago, thats exactly how i met most of my college buddies.... fought them then bought them beers... just doesnt happen anymore does it....

bitta is offline Associate Member
    this dude said he can mess some people up if hes boxing, well as a boxer I welcome the taller guys inside, there reach is usless at that point they cannot generate a forceful accurate blow, I would hook and uppercut my ass off, if its a street fight and you are a striker, you would do just that and add a head butt for good measure

THE INCREDIBLE BULK is offline New Member
    easiest way, just drop ur trousers and rub your BALLLs against his leg...that will make him feel very uncomfortable, esp if he's a homo phobe... this way you've already won the fight mentally....
    Unless of course...you're like me....and have injected so much Deca into your body that you....well....no longer HAVE any ballls .... then you got problems....

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Keep circling don't give them a stionary target. If they swing wildly just shoot a solid double. if they arn't and are cirling with you. I would shoot an outside post your hand and use the other one to grab the outside leg and pull yourself into it and finish. Chances are they are just going to swing wildly so a double is your best idea. if the do get ahold of you,keep your head next to theirs or close to the chest swim for double underhooks and a simple trip or footsweep will do.

BigBri is offline Junior Member
    When your saying double what excatly do you mean? I'm not sure of the terminology your using. Thanks

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    eyejab.
    nuff said.
    It works for me.

davinci191 is offline Junior Member
    Don't Go For A Double Bro! If He Knows What Hes Doing You Will Get Choked The **** Out! Go For The Low Single Then Get Full Mount Get The Hooks In And Pound His Face. But If You Must Go For A Double Just Tuck Your Chin To Your Chest Real Hard. I Love That One When People Dont Know Anything And You Get Full Mount. Hit There Face A Bunch ,then They Will Want To Roll Over And You Should Let Them. Then You Just Grab The Rear Naked Choke ..........night, Night

Quote Originally Posted by davinci191
    Don't Go For A Double Bro! If He Knows What Hes Doing You Will Get Choked The **** Out! Go For The Low Single Then Get Full Mount Get The Hooks In And Pound His Face. But If You Must Go For A Double Just Tuck Your Chin To Your Chest Real Hard. I Love That One When People Dont Know Anything And You Get Full Mount. Hit There Face A Bunch ,then They Will Want To Roll Over And You Should Let Them. Then You Just Grab The Rear Naked Choke ..........night, Night
    I can see what your saying about getting chocked out with a double. The chances of your average street bum sinking a guillotine is very low. Also with a nice double you can switch to a side mount pretty fast or better a double leg trip and you will land in half guard or even mount(against in untrained bum) but I see were your coming from to

davinci191 is offline Junior Member
    I agree 100% but man the way this sport is evolving, if im about to get in to some trouble with a guy I assume he knows a little something. for example me and this guy were just messan around at work and I shot a week double but god damn he went for the choke! I was in shock he didnt get it cause i had the hand over the forearm so he could pull all he wanted and had nothing. but you know what im sayin? Doubles are sweet there was not one person to stop Mark Kerr's shot and he was the double master but look how CRO COP made Coleman look like a poop UFC fighter. on another note look how st. pierre took sherk down with flawless doubles like 3 of them! that was great.
    Last edited by davinci191; 12-17-2005 at 05:58 AM.

it is instict to grab the head but I doubt he would have pulled a full guard on you and put it on properly. I mean the grab your head just jump to the side and their guillotine has now left them open for knees. But I get what your saying

simm is offline Senior Member
    Double leg takedowns require LOTS of energy being expended so the smaller man has better chance with single leg as the bigger man who can drop his weight on smaller man will tire him out without having to do much at all...aim for looping shots to the chin...big men with skill and speed will **** up smaller men tho...USUALLY!!!

I wonder has the guy learned anything in the past year since this thread was first posted?.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    the big guy probably knocked him out

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Ditto what he said. You'll learn nothing here.

Agree...get some training and then make an attack plan. It is easy for me to say 'Trade with him long enough to go for the takedown"...this shit is not learned over night believe us when we say it.

You will literally spend months getting your ass handed to you.

Guys the thread is 12 months old. He probably has his black belt in 'Suk sum yong goy'...

fully_paully is offline Associate Member
    well i know you wont b able 2 do this in a boxing match but if it was a street fight and your fighting someone 2 times your size do a dirty shot and punch him in the throat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information