JerzeyBoy is offline Member

I want to get into boxing but.....

I want to start training in boxing to have a better chance in street fighting. I live in a bad neighborhood and have been in a lot of fights, it'll be great to have the upperhand in a fight more often. My only problem with this is I am afraid to lose weight, even a pound. I'm currently 5'9 155lbs, and I'm training and plan on getting on juice very soon, most likely this or next month. I was planning on getting boxing lessons but I heard there is a lot of running and what not, and I really don't want to lose any weight at all, I wasn't planning on doing cardio on my cycle. People on this site who know me know how much I hate being skinny, I even told people I wouldn't mind putting on some fat even, that's how desperate I am. So what should I do about the boxing??
    Thanks brothers...

Rob
    Rob is offline Canadian Legend
    get some tips from crazy joe devola

Quote Originally Posted by bigrob33
    get some tips from crazy joe devola
    huh??

((BUMP))

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    The first thing I'm gonna tell you is that Boxing really won't be that much of help in a street fight. Most street fights aren't 2 people standing across from each other trading punches. It may start out like that but it ends up on the ground very quickly. It may help you with throwing punches or a good combo to start a fight but if you don't knock the guy out, once the fight gets going it really won't present you with the upper hand aside from the fact that you may be better conditioned then the guy your fighting from boxing and by boxing you will be more loose and comfortable fighting.
    I got in alot of street fights when I was younger before I started boxing and when I started boxing I had to retrain myself into different actions and thinking because street fighting and boxing are 2 completely different things. Most of the things I had learned from street fighting and that worked streetfighting were bad habits in the ring.

With that being said if you still think boxing is the way you want to go.........., Boxing is definately one of the hardest sports when it comes down to conditioning. If you want to box there is alot of cardio involved! Not even just running, but pad drills, jump rope, heavybag, footwork, shadowboxing,plyometrics, ect. So even if you don't run, which I highly recommend you do if you want to be in shape to fight, there is still alot of cardio.

So If you want to maintain or even gain weight while boxing you will have to step up your diet and supplimentation for that, especially if you are a hard gainer.
    I am a hard gainer as well, I had good muscle defintion always but was still on the skinny side. when I was younger I did a few cycles and at my biggest I was around 205-210lbs with about 9-12% bf @ 5'10".
    Now that I box I don't even care about size really I dropped all that weight and now fight at around 165lbs, but I have about 7%BF. I am very defined but would definately not say I am big or even close to it. But I have different goals now, and they all consisit of boxing so size isn't an issue to me anymore.

As long as your diet is in check and your training is hard you will probably gain decent weight on your cycle (depending also on what you'll be taking), even while boxing it will just be alittle leaner gains IMO.

But If the only reason you are looking box is to help you out in a street fight, you may want to look into martial arts like BJJ, JKD or grappling. They are less demanding cardio wise and will help alot more in a street fight scenario IMO. They teach more ground and combat technics.

Good luck, and hope this helped.

MsHeadBanger is offline Junior Member
    If you want to use it for self-defense in a bad neighborhood, try this for a suggestion. Take up Muay Thai kickboxing. It will help you in more ways than boxing, IMO. If you're landing on a guy and don't knock him out, he'll probably charge you and try to throw you to the ground. Where Thai boxing comes into place is this...There are elbow strikes for close range. There is also the clinch. Clinching is control of the head, the head and arm, etc. You can keep him to your body with control, and throw knees, etc. There are also high thai kicks, low kicks, knees, elbows, and also thai takedowns. Also, you'll want to do some kind of submission/jiu-jitsu training for when you do get taken to the ground. Grappling will help you defend yourself, also apply hyperextension techniques, and chokes using your arms, or your legs, or the attackers clothing. A good choke takes about 4 to 5 seconds to choke your attacker completely unconscious. Just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Nothing much I could add here. I thought kickboxing had made me a pretty good all round fighter untill a friend dared me to train for just one night in Judo. When I went to the ground I was chicken feed!. I hadn't a clue and was getting tapped out in seconds. Have you looked at Vale Tudo!!. You want to street fight, there's where you should be looking IMHO.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    All of the above are valid suggestions but there is one that is far more effective and significantly lowers your risk...........move to a safer area of town.

mr_man is offline Associate Member
    what about BJJ or Sambo for street fighting

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Nothing much I could add here. I thought kickboxing had made me a pretty good all round fighter untill a friend dared me to train for just one night in Judo. When I went to the ground I was chicken feed!. I hadn't a clue and was getting tapped out in seconds. Have you looked at Vale Tudo!!. You want to street fight, there's where you should be looking IMHO.

In a street fight, I want to be able to knock someone out. I would never go on the floor unless it turned out that way. I wish there was a step by step booklet on how to knock someone the phuck out lol. I saw some skinny kid hit some biiigg guy in the face and with one punch he was out cold. He feel asleep, literally...he was on the floor snoring. This skinny kid happened to be a boxer so I got motivated to take up boxing lol, if you saw the size of the guy he hit, you would understand. The guy was huge and a little skinny kid knocked him out IN ONE PUNCH.

MsHeadBanger is offline Junior Member
    Know the ground....or you will be laying on it a long time.....

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    Mix everything up, lots of MMA school offer boxing and jiu jistu classes, not on the same night but say one night you can do boxing and the next jiu jistu.

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    mma so you can kick box and learn ground fighting. I would have to say that every street fight I have ever been involved in has ended on the ground90%, and ko by strikes 10%. So logicly it would make more sense to learn groundfighting.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyBoy
    In a street fight, I want to be able to knock someone out. I would never go on the floor unless it turned out that way. I wish there was a step by step booklet on how to knock someone the phuck out lol. I saw some skinny kid hit some biiigg guy in the face and with one punch he was out cold. He feel asleep, literally...he was on the floor snoring. This skinny kid happened to be a boxer so I got motivated to take up boxing lol, if you saw the size of the guy he hit, you would understand. The guy was huge and a little skinny kid knocked him out IN ONE PUNCH.
    If you searched for anything I've ever posted on street fighting you'll see I wouldn't disagree with you!. Btw, I've been working door's 17 yrs now so I'm pretty experienced in street fighting. Presently I'm 260lbs @ 6'2'', when I hit I usually expect a knockout and when I decide someone is going to the ground thats exactly where their going, likewise when I decide I'm going nowhere near it, it would take a bear to get me down there!.

ash146 is offline Junior Member
    MMA is right. a good boxer - hits really hard. you're 5'8, 155. Take a small guy like eric morales - dude looks like nothing but i bet he put down a guy who 6'0 and 180lbs.

jonnyblade is offline New Member
    I would have to say from experience boxing is a very effective street fighting art, if your good no one is taking ya down, you just keep swining and they will fall, if you do get taken down though your screwed lol, but I took olympic wrestling after boxing and its great, noone can keep you down with that, let alone take you down, the arts complement each other very well, I recommend it. Of course kick or thai boxing would be just as good or better as long as you learn to take a shot in the face and give one back.

As for the weight part its a sacrafice you gotta make, I would rather be a good boxer at 175, then a muscle head at 210, cause the boxer is gonna beat me up everytime. One thing I learned in martial arts and in street fighting gym strengh means nothing to fighting. (not to say it cant be a help, just not much of a difference)

HeavyHitter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick32
    Mix everything up, lots of MMA school offer boxing and jiu jistu classes, not on the same night but say one night you can do boxing and the next jiu jistu.

agreed... If you are training to learn how to street fight, then boxing is not the way to go.... extremely helpful, but does not teach ALL important aspects, such as grappling/legs/body throws etc. BESIDES, you take MMA: BJJ, Muay Thai, etc they all teach some kind of striking anyway... thats your best bet IMO.

Thread Information