Anteros is offline Associate Member

Recommend a Martial Art

Hi, Im 21 years old and wanna start some sort of martial arts, starting my research and wondering if u guys can help...

I want something practical, good for self-defense but not some little program, I want something serious that I can grow with and master over the years, that's why I wanna make sure I start one that's right for me.

Also, I live in Toronto, if anyone wants to recommend good places around here that would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Jtemple is offline New Member
    If you want to spend years training to be deadly (and look graceful in the process) try kung-fu. A northern style like T'ien Shen Pai or a southern style (Hun-gar). Good teachers are hard to find but should be around $80 (USD) a month.

If you want to learn how to fight take Jujitsu. It's real combat situation style fighting. You'll learn a lot fast. I've taken Tae Kwon Do, Kung-Fu, and Jujitsu. They're all good. Kung-Fu is by far the hardest to master. Good luck.

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    Any type of grappling is the ****. judo, Jiu-jitsu, vale tudo, submission grappling. any school that teaches any of these will work.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    I agree with everyone above...when I look at any art I look at application in real life and that includes grappling and ground fighting. Kung Fu, Jujitsu, Judo, Hapkido, etc are all good as far I am am concerned. Also, i have heard a lot of people speaking highly of Aikido; apparently this one will keep you busy for years and years and it is very graceful.

Been doing research for like 3 hours now....dam there's a lot to learn,

I found a nice type of Kung Fu called Choy Li Fut Kung Fu, anyone have any experience with it? I actually found a non-profit organization that gives free lessons in Toronto.

Wing Chun Kung Fu also looks really good...Ju Jitsu's lookin pretty good too...decisions decisions

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Well considering 90% of fights end up on the ground, I would consider taking a martial arts which specializes in grappling and throwing such as Jujistsu or Aikido. Both are very good arts and I have studied both. I have a second degree blackbelt in Wing Chun Kung Fu, and I am currently studying Aikido. Look for effectiveness in actual fighting situations, and how effective they will help you in that situation when picking an art!

Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian30
    Well considering 90% of fights end up on the ground, I would consider taking a martial arts which specializes in grappling and throwing such as Jujistsu or Aikido. Both are very good arts and I have studied both. I have a second degree blackbelt in Wing Chun Kung Fu, and I am currently studying Aikido. Look for effectiveness in actual fighting situations, and how effective they will help you in that situation when picking an art!
    How effective is Wing Chun Kung Fu in actual fighting situations? Grats on the status btw, impressive, how long did that take you?

So for real-life situations, u would recommend Jujitsi over Wing Chun? If theres only a slight difference id prefer Wing Chun cause it seems more interesting to me...what do u know about Choy Li Fut Kung Fu?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros
    How effective is Wing Chun Kung Fu in actual fighting situations? Grats on the status btw, impressive, how long did that take you?

So for real-life situations, u would recommend Jujitsi over Wing Chun? If theres only a slight difference id prefer Wing Chun cause it seems more interesting to me...what do u know about Choy Li Fut Kung Fu?

Thanks
    Wing Chun Kung Fu can be effective in a fighting situation especially against a stronger opponent, but I would definately recommend Jujistu over Wing Chun Kung Fu. I give you a good reason why. In WCKF, we were taught to use our legs and hips to get power, however if you are on the ground your legs and hips are no good. Jujitsu helps with ground fighting and grappling, choke holds and take downs. There are pros and cons with any martial arts, but if I had to do it all over again I would study Jujistu or some type of grappling art instead of "classical" or traditional arts.

Swellin Guest
    Given the opportunity, I would study Akido or Hwa Rang Do. Akido will keep you busy for the next 30 years. Hwa Rang Do was the martial art of the ancient Korean Knights. It would be my first choice. Niether of these are "street fighting arts," rather they place more emphasis on the person and their spirit.

I'm old enough that fights rarely come my way, so i am more interested in something that gives me a mental and an emotional outlet, rather than just a physical outlet.

Wing Chun Kung Fu can be effective in a fighting situation especially against a stronger opponent, but I would definately recommend Jujistu over Wing Chun Kung Fu. I give you a good reason why. In WCKF, we were taught to use our legs and hips to get power, however if you are on the ground your legs and hips are no good. Jujitsu helps with ground fighting and grappling, choke holds and take downs. There are pros and cons with any martial arts, but if I had to do it all over again I would study Jujistu or some type of grappling art instead of "classical" or traditional arts.
    Is jujitsu grappling and holding only... or is there also standing, hitting type techniques as well...? Also in Wing Chun you learn a couple of weapons I believe ?! would be fun.

And I agree with you Swellin to an extent, Ive never even been in a fight, but I do want something that will help me release aggression with sparring etc, and that will be more likely to protect me just in case.

thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros
    Is jujitsu grappling and holding only... or is there also standing, hitting type techniques as well...? Also in Wing Chun you learn a couple of weapons I believe ?! would be fun.

And I agree with you Swellin to an extent, Ive never even been in a fight, but I do want something that will help me release aggression with sparring etc, and that will be more likely to protect me just in case.

thanks for the replies
    Juijistu teaches both. I do agree with the spirituality of arts. I believe that a true martial artist study's to stay sharp mentally and physically . Fighting is 95% mental anyay, so having the mental edge or mental awareness is definately a key to any martial arts!

Juijistu teaches both. I do agree with the spirituality of arts. I believe that a true martial artist study's to stay sharp mentally and physically . Fighting is 95% mental anyay, so having the mental edge or mental awareness is definately a key to any martial arts!
    Good point...I actually just read a long article about Hung Gar Kung Fu...seems perfect, it's spiritually based and focuses on a lot of two-man "sparring" in close combat situations, looks at grappling, holding as well... mainly I think its great because of the intense two-man learning...

I guess Ive narrowed it down to Hung Gar, Wing Chun, Jujitsu, or Aikido...I read that most places will let u observe a couple of classes or even participate...think itll be the key to finalizing my choice...either way, cant wait!

How long did it take you to get that far in Wing Chun Sicilian, if u dont mind?

thanks for the help everyone

thanks mma...borderline cults??...thats messed up

AVAGO is offline Member
    wing-chun isnt that bruce lees style?? anywayz i studied lau-gar kung fu for a few years (kung-fu/kickboxing) now its just straight kickboxing for me......

Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVAGO
    wing-chun isnt that bruce lees style?? anywayz i studied lau-gar kung fu for a few years (kung-fu/kickboxing) now its just straight kickboxing for me......
    wing chun is the style Bruce Lee was taught when in Hong Kong. He studied it for 5 years before coming to the States. He eventually created Jun Fan (Bruce Lee's cantonese name) Kung Fu, this later evolved into Jeet Kun Do (Way of the intercepting fist).

As far as what style to study, I would have to agree with MMA as good MMA school is the way to go. You get trained in many different styles/techniques including stand-up fighting, close quarter combat, grappling and ground fighting.

JMHO,
    MT

I just read up on Ninjutsu...sounds awesome...said it focuses on Judo and Jujitsu but u also practice with a lot of weapons which could be fun...

anyone tried it?

1morerep is offline Associate Member
    i'm from t.o. as well, you want to learn some serious sh@#%^t. and get an amazing workout as well, there's a place on dufferin north of eglinton called Siam no #1 (781-3775) its muay thai or thai boxing their website is
    www.houseofmuaythai.com.

MER
    MER is offline Member
    Mui Thai kickboxing is top notch. If thats not in your area Brazilian Ju Jitsu would be my choice.

Distorted1987 is offline New Member
    Only do the best, Shotokan Karate all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted1987
    Only do the best, Shotokan Karate all the way.

That's why everyone has recommended Jiu-Jitsu!

Therocksbiggestfan is offline Associate Member
    Allright Here Is What U Do....u Start Training In A Brazilian Jui Jitsu School... U Take Brazillian Jui Jitsu Which Is A Ground Style...which As People Said Most Fights Go To The Ground And That Is True...and With This Style U Can Break Arms, Legs, And Choke Someone Out(my Favorite)...another Thing U Should Look Into For Striking...(since Bjj Has None) Is Mui-tai Which Is Tai Kickboxing And Is A Devistating Striking Art Which Knees And Elbows Are Used....u Should Know Both These Styles And Practice Hard..and U Will Be Happier, Healthier, And If Anyone ****s With U U Will Be Fine.....also If U Get Good Enough U Can Participate In Pan Am, Ufc, K1, All Options Are Open...but Definatly Brazilian Juijitsu And Mui Tai

CARNIVORE is offline Associate Member
    WingTsun (a style of Kung Fu) teaches ground fighting. A student of Emin Boztepe is 100% Greek and taught grapling to the Olympic Greek Wresling Team using Wing Tsun. Try to find one of Emin Boztepe schools. At least look on the web for info, try to find some video if you can. It will truly blow your mind.

Peace,
    CARNIVORE

Thread Information