Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    I cannot be beat in a ring or cage

ufc_fighter2008 is offline New Member
    i been wanting to get into ufc fighting for years now any ideas how i can get started

ufc_fighter2008 is offline New Member
    ya how does it feel bein in a cage

ACJiujitsu is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vettewreck View Post
    Ive been thinking for awhile now about getting into something like UFC or cage fighting or something like that. I expect to win, I expect to lose. I expect to knock someone out, I also expect to get knocked out. I just dont want to turn 40 one day and think..."I should have done that when I was youger." How would I get started? Where do I need to be (Im in Raleigh, NC)? Just how would I go about getting started? Ive never fought (as a sport) before so I wouldnt mind seeing how I would fair against guys my own size.
    Google Joe Hurst! He's in N.C. and he's a Gracie Barra Black belt.

Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ View Post
    Phil Beroni's MMA debut was in the UFC!
    I know I trained with him.
    I did not say you can suck and get in the UFC.
    You were saying that you need 15-20 fights or something like that, and that is not true, If you are good and you know someone then you can get in!
    Its all about who you know. There are PLENTY of good fighters with 20+ fights under their belts and they cant get in the UFC or PRIDE.

Now for our friend here that wants to fight..
    you didnt read everything I said.
    What I said is that he should get what he wants out of it.
    If he wants to feel the exhillerating rush of the lights, crowd, and fighting then he does not need to wait. The only caution would be to learn how to tap, but if he does amateur he should be just fine.
    That is just my belief.
    Of course it all depends on the person too. You can only do that to a person with a strong character and heart.
    Fighting is fun, if he wants to have fun then let him have fun.
    It would be a good idea to train for atleast 3 months before the fight to get in fighting condition.
    And it would be a good idea to train some MMA.
    So do you get my point now!
    I am just speaking from experience from fighting myself and training and cornering other fighters.
    Phil Baroni's mma debut was a long time ago.The Sport has grown. Now you dont need Ammy fights,before you fight pro.But i would seriously consider them. Lets Face it,your most likely never gonna fight in the UFC. There are plenty of great fighter,BJJ black belts,world class wrestlers that will never fight in the UFC. Find a godd BJJ/MMA school and put in some time on the mats. We have guys come in all the time,BIG guys,strong guys,and they are clueless. It doesnt matter how many street fights you've had,those days are over. There are Purple belt,college wrestlers,golden gloves boxers who all still Lose AMMY fights. Fight AMMY unless your a BJJ Black Belt or a Muay Thai guy with years of exp.

Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ View Post
    He could get if he tried to fight on the pro level, but if he faught amateur the chances of him getting hurt are slim to none except for the usual things that could happen in a fight like black eye, cut etc.

Please explain to me why you think it would be so dangerous if he faught an amateur bout, where the punches are open palm strikes and depending on the promotions, knees and kicks to the face may or may not be allowed. Plus the guys that enter those have anywhere from 2 months experience to a year.
    And the guy said he is a street fighter.
    The reason I am saying this is because you guys are making it sound like he has to train for years before he can fight, and that would probably discourage him. If he faught an amateur fight with little or no experience, he might win, he might loose, but he will definitly learn something, and chances are good that he will get even more interested in learning MMA.

I have helped train many fighters and I have seen and cornered many fights,
    you are making it a bigger deal than it is.
    I think its pretty safe to say that you dont know what you are talking about..
    And by the way I am going this summer to train at chute box and with Minataro, and then BTT. I will stay in brazil for a few years.
    ... Something you will only dream of doing.
    I would love to train in Brazil.Hopefully next year. Make sure you Read Hillary's blog about being in Brazil. She's a Purple Belt world champ.She got to train at many places,and talks about the places to go. Im envious of you

muffin man is offline Junior Member
    been in the game a LONG time and frankly i love and hate when guys think they can just jump right into competing in mma because they bench a lot or have beat up their drunk friends on the "street" or whatever.

I love guys like that as a trainer and manager because they are great to get my guys wins over. easy pickings for the most part.

I hate guys like that because they make my sport look like shit. I think it's because of the reality show, the ultimate fighter, that makes people think all they need is a month or two of training.

When i first got involved, first in bjj, then boxing, then MMA, i knew it was a life long commitment. Nowadays i have guys walking into my gym telling me they just signed themselves up for an MMA fight and want to START training! I SWEAR TO ****ING GOD THIS HAS HAPPENED AT LEAST 3 TIMES IN THE PAST YEAR. WTF ARE THEY THINKING. sign up for a fight then begin training?

the ultimate fighter brings on guys with crappy records along with a handfull of ringers.

Kids who just got into watching mma in the last few years actually believe that guys like forest griffin and rashad evans started fighting in the ufc on that show. no, they were already well established fighters with solid combat sports backgrounds. griffin with sub wrestling/boxing, evans with a decade of boxing and college level wrestling.

i've had students on TUF and the show billed them as basically having no training when they absolutely did. One had a very good wrestling career, was a great powerlifter and had about 6 MMA fights under his belt and they made his "character" out to be just some tough guy who wanted to give fighting a try.

my advice is this, i say it to every little kid that walks through the door of my gym saying he wants to be a fighter. "Do you want to be a fighter, or do you want to be a mixed martial artist?" If you just want to be a fighter then you can train for 6 months and jump in the cage and get beat up so you can tell everybody on your myspace page your a badass.. but you can do that elsewhere. if you want to be a mixed martial artist and are prepared to devote your life to it then we will get you there. All that's required of you is to show up, give your all and we'll tell you when you're ready."

holy shit i just read that this post was 4 years old wtf? oh well ima rant anyways.

all you guys who are saying it's ok to fight amateur with no experience because they can't get hurt are ****ing high. we start kids out with grappling tournaments then amateur kickboxing and boxing matches.

i see these kids who jump right in there because some moron is telling them it's ok. they get beat up by real fighters like the kids i train and after a few fights they are gone from the scene never to be heard from again. telling some kid who has aspirations to fight that it's ok to just "go for it" is flat out retarded.

but it's all good because i have 6 year old bad asses who are gonna need tomato cans to beat up on in about 12 years so hopefully there will still be coaches around willing to tell their students "what the hell, it's just an amateur fight. you can't get hurt".

and whoever said something like "get off steroids if you want to do good in mma" or something to that effect... wtf! yeah because nobody in mma is on anything. that's like going to a gun fight with a knife, sad but true.

stang is offline Associate Member
    okay i can help since i fought he few months ago in N.C there the place that put on the fight show was cqcinthecage.com there shows are pretty sweet i know the guy that put's the hows on pm your number and i will have him call you

DarnGoodLookin is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muffin man View Post
    been in the game a LONG time and frankly i love and hate when guys think they can just jump right into competing in mma because they bench a lot or have beat up their drunk friends on the "street" or whatever.

I love guys like that as a trainer and manager because they are great to get my guys wins over. easy pickings for the most part.

I hate guys like that because they make my sport look like shit. I think it's because of the reality show, the ultimate fighter, that makes people think all they need is a month or two of training.

When i first got involved, first in bjj, then boxing, then MMA, i knew it was a life long commitment. Nowadays i have guys walking into my gym telling me they just signed themselves up for an MMA fight and want to START training! I SWEAR TO ****ING GOD THIS HAS HAPPENED AT LEAST 3 TIMES IN THE PAST YEAR. WTF ARE THEY THINKING. sign up for a fight then begin training?

the ultimate fighter brings on guys with crappy records along with a handfull of ringers.

Kids who just got into watching mma in the last few years actually believe that guys like forest griffin and rashad evans started fighting in the ufc on that show. no, they were already well established fighters with solid combat sports backgrounds. griffin with sub wrestling/boxing, evans with a decade of boxing and college level wrestling.

i've had students on TUF and the show billed them as basically having no training when they absolutely did. One had a very good wrestling career, was a great powerlifter and had about 6 MMA fights under his belt and they made his "character" out to be just some tough guy who wanted to give fighting a try.

my advice is this, i say it to every little kid that walks through the door of my gym saying he wants to be a fighter. "Do you want to be a fighter, or do you want to be a mixed martial artist?" If you just want to be a fighter then you can train for 6 months and jump in the cage and get beat up so you can tell everybody on your myspace page your a badass.. but you can do that elsewhere. if you want to be a mixed martial artist and are prepared to devote your life to it then we will get you there. All that's required of you is to show up, give your all and we'll tell you when you're ready."

holy shit i just read that this post was 4 years old wtf? oh well ima rant anyways.

all you guys who are saying it's ok to fight amateur with no experience because they can't get hurt are ****ing high. we start kids out with grappling tournaments then amateur kickboxing and boxing matches.

i see these kids who jump right in there because some moron is telling them it's ok. they get beat up by real fighters like the kids i train and after a few fights they are gone from the scene never to be heard from again. telling some kid who has aspirations to fight that it's ok to just "go for it" is flat out retarded.

but it's all good because i have 6 year old bad asses who are gonna need tomato cans to beat up on in about 12 years so hopefully there will still be coaches around willing to tell their students "what the hell, it's just an amateur fight. you can't get hurt".

and whoever said something like "get off steroids if you want to do good in mma" or something to that effect... wtf! yeah because nobody in mma is on anything. that's like going to a gun fight with a knife, sad but true.
    I agree with your post. How should I go about starting out? I bought a few books so that I could design a new strength and coditioning workout. I have been doing bodybuilding workouts for the past two years. Maybe you could pm me some workouts. I dont want to even conside a ammy fight for a long while. Im going to start taking bjj here in a couple of weeks, and once im comfortable with doing that and my work schedule I might throw in some muay thai.

Jeet Kune Do is offline New Member
    Muffin Man: I agree with most of it. My back ground was in boxing and street fighting (Detroit FTW) and in the last 2 years Kickboxing, BJJ, Krav Maga, and most importantly Jeet Kune Do. Because of this I have been in MMA fights and competitions, but am refusing to do more. This is for the simple reason I disagree with the rules and the 'Big Man' mentality we all have. I dont like going into the ring/cage/mat with a 300 lb brute who knows MMA from six months and roids at a good MMA gym when I am not allowed to use palms, am on a time limit and also have elbow restrictions. No organization, unless I do literal street fighting or classic NBH works with my style.

I do a personally modified Jeet Kune Do with modifications for boxing, a larger frame (200 lb over 160 of Lee), less flexability and reversable hands/stances so I can 'be like water' and adapt to a situation as needed. This does not make for a good show. Its fast or very slow if I cant open up an opening strike.

I dont advise you, or anyone to use Roids. If for recovery, not mass bulking, maybe. At 200 lb I dont have enough flexability for real BJJ anymore. Too much raw mass. I do think AS can help, immensely. But not used as body builders use them. So I suggest stopping and finding a real MMA coach to advise use and administration of such drugs.

MA's are about self discipline. They take years to 'master' in general. If you want to learn the popular one's which fighting style alone can take a year each, thats also fine. But you need to start now. Russian and Israli MA's like Samo (Or what ever) and Krav Maga are quick. BJJ or classic wrestling is required. Boxing and Kickboxing are needed in some form. Maybe Muai Thai instead of Kick boxing, I advise starting with Kick boxing and then Muai Thai. But it will take a long time to get a foundation or become a master in something. You may need both to be the best in todays atmosphere.

Left Hook is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vettewreck View Post
    Honestly I have no idea. I just want to fight.
    Id be happy to pound you into a deep sleep! Where are you located?

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja View Post
    ...He could go out there and get seriously hurt following your advice.
    Indeed
    Last edited by BJJ; 11-26-2009 at 03:40 AM.

mma_rob is offline New Member
    ok...as an amateur fighter and as an mma fighter there are a couple of things u should consider

1) street fighting is not suitable for mma as proved in kimbo slice getting beaten by seth petruzelli in 14 seconds a guy who was 30 pounds lighter than him...if you dont know what im talkin about look it up on youtube, maybe street fighting makes u mentally tougher since there are little to no rules...but an experienced fighter would destroy you
    take fedor emilianenko for example...the guy has beaten many guys who are much bigger than him by skill....its not about the size or strength...if ur good with throwing punches and have sick punching power a smart opponent would take u to the ground and make u tapout

2) u have to train 2 times a day one training session should be ur mma training which should be one hour or standing up and another hour on the ground be it wrestling or brazilian jiu jitsu
    the second training session should be in the gym and u shouldnt lift weights like a powerlifter or bodybuilder. you should train like a fighter....so u should conditon ur body to 5 minute rounds of nonstop stress.....

for example, 1 minute bench press max reps
    1 minute shoulder presses
    1 minute squats
    1 minute back training
    1 minute ab training

non stop then take a one minute break

then start over...

3) cardio, cardio, and more cardio...there is nothing worse than being a big guy tough guy and then after the first round u have no more power cause ur tired and u cant breathe....again
    for cardio 5 minute intense sessions then one minute breaks

another piece of advice since u are 210 pounds i would recommend u fight at the lighter weights
    like 205
    or maybe even consider 185

i am 6'3 210 pounds(off season) and i fight amateur at 185(on season)

the reason is because u have so much size, reach, speed, and strength advantage... when u do so

other than that...pick up kickboxing/muyai thai for striking, and wrestling or bjj for the ground games....start fighting amateur as well cause there are a lot of pro fighters who get invited to amateur events and if u impress them they invite u to train with them and usually they can take u to the top

fighting in the ufc needs years of experience and if u loose too much in the UFC they cut u out...cause its bad for buisness...remember theres the putting on a show part as well...and if u keep on loosing people would not want to watch u....so before u hit the big leagues....start amateur

im an amateur fighter with a record of 3-0 and i got offered to make the jump to pro...but i refused...cause i still want to get some amateur experience....

plus i trained 3 years before i had my first amateur fight...so dont be in a hurry...take ur time and train hard...

take care

BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by mma_rob View Post
    ok...as an amateur fighter and as an mma fighter there are a couple of things u should consider

1) street fighting is not suitable for mma as proved in kimbo slice getting beaten by seth petruzelli in 14 seconds a guy who was 30 pounds lighter than him...if you dont know what im talkin about look it up on youtube, maybe street fighting makes u mentally tougher since there are little to no rules...but an experienced fighter would destroy you
    take fedor emilianenko for example...the guy has beaten many guys who are much bigger than him by skill....its not about the size or strength...if ur good with throwing punches and have sick punching power a smart opponent would take u to the ground and make u tapout

2) u have to train 2 times a day one training session should be ur mma training which should be one hour or standing up and another hour on the ground be it wrestling or brazilian jiu jitsu
    the second training session should be in the gym and u shouldnt lift weights like a powerlifter or bodybuilder. you should train like a fighter....so u should conditon ur body to 5 minute rounds of nonstop stress.....

for example, 1 minute bench press max reps
    1 minute shoulder presses
    1 minute squats
    1 minute back training
    1 minute ab training

non stop then take a one minute break

then start over...

3) cardio, cardio, and more cardio...there is nothing worse than being a big guy tough guy and then after the first round u have no more power cause ur tired and u cant breathe....again
    for cardio 5 minute intense sessions then one minute breaks

another piece of advice since u are 210 pounds i would recommend u fight at the lighter weights
    like 205
    or maybe even consider 185

i am 6'3 210 pounds(off season) and i fight amateur at 185(on season)

the reason is because u have so much size, reach, speed, and strength advantage... when u do so

other than that...pick up kickboxing/muyai thai for striking, and wrestling or bjj for the ground games....start fighting amateur as well cause there are a lot of pro fighters who get invited to amateur events and if u impress them they invite u to train with them and usually they can take u to the top

fighting in the ufc needs years of experience and if u loose too much in the UFC they cut u out...cause its bad for buisness...remember theres the putting on a show part as well...and if u keep on loosing people would not want to watch u....so before u hit the big leagues....start amateur

im an amateur fighter with a record of 3-0 and i got offered to make the jump to pro...but i refused...cause i still want to get some amateur experience....

plus i trained 3 years before i had my first amateur fight...so dont be in a hurry...take ur time and train hard...

take care
    That event was fake!

BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Ninja View Post
    I cannot be beat in a ring or cage

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    True words. My dojo mates told me so

Briarwood is offline New Member
    For all the people who wanted to start fighting start small, find a local bjj class and get into it. Then you will see what its like to get choked out by somebody who is 50 lbs less then you and see if you make it back to the next class or not. That will be the true test!!! it take alot of time and effort to be good!!!

whyteshadow89 is offline New Member

hey NoobJuice

i live in kc and i'm curious i heard whiskey tangos does open MMA fights but looked into it and it was a dead end when is the beumont fights? i do more than just street and would like to see how my skills compare and possibly pursue a career let me know cause i'm really interested and trying to step in the ring

JAB1 is offline Member
    Im sure there are some schools that will just throw you into a fight. However where I train you must do atleast 5 submission contests and a few muay thai/kickboxing comps before taking an mma fight. My coach wants us to get used to one at a time while dealing with the adrenaline dump, nerves, etc. Plus if you go to a respectable camp you rep them so they will not throw you in before you are ready. If one of our guys gets matched up against one of these guys from a camp that will let anyone fight, its an easy night, lol!!

So if you just want the experience of a fight, win lose or draw, find that type of camp. If you want to become a good fighter then dont waste your time at a place that will throw you in without alot of training. Just the training alone will get the fight bug out of you. Ive broken 2 bones, had multiple bruises and cuts just from training alone!!

JAB1 is offline Member
    JUst read the comment about lions den putting you to sleep for audition. This is quite common, my school does the same thing. They feel that the only way to believe fully in the choke is to experience it. Its not bad at all, squeeze gets tight, see sparkles, dream lots, and wake up a few secs later going, where the F**k am I, with everyone starring at you laughing and cheering. Good bonding experience with your team when you first get going!!

IRISH 425 is offline Junior Member
    Usually your gym will have connections for that if not try mmarecruiter.com or Google fights in you area another safe bet is try casinos in your area

IRISH 425 is offline Junior Member
    Try these guys ,Raliegh NC -Jason Culbreth ... www.teamroc.net/

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This thread was started back when Royce Gracie was the dominant fighter in UFC.....I really don't understand why people keep bumping these old damn threads.

PS I accidently responded to it before I found out how damn old it was.
    Last edited by Far from massive; 04-23-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Brohim is offline Senior Member
    who cares how old the thread is. MMA is still popular and guys searching can find it.

how did you get two broken bones training? You forgot to tap?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information