Wrestler V Jiu Jitsu V Striker

The wrestler almost always wins, any opinions on why.

And yes, I know MMA fighters all train more than one style, but when you wrestle 10 years and than decide to get into MMA and start learning a little Mui Thai, your background is WRESTLING!

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Fighters and Mixed styles are always improving, it is hard to make general comments like that. When you look at someone like Pat Miletich who started wrestling in grade school and then learned muay thai and submissions I guess you are right, but everyone is different. A lot of things just come down to genetics, like speed and power, and then the investments in training that are made.

Different fighting organizations within MMA let people stay on the ground longer which favors ground fighting. An obvious example of this is Pride vs. UFC. Pride allows people to not advance their postition on the ground much longer then in the UFC (IMHO).

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    The UFC heavily favors wrestlers and does'nt mind if the fighters Lay N Pray their way to a decision victory whereas in Pride, you will be called for stalling (Yellow Card/10% purse gone) and moved to the center of the ring or stood up so the fighters can do what they came for and that is fight.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    not to disresept any one mma over another, but imo wrestlers have heart (not like others dont) but when youve been wrestling for a while and you are good at it, you learn and know what it takes to win. the ones that come into mma from wrestling and are successful are the ones with most heart. plus if your just a striker, and you dont land that KO shot, you know your going to your back for some ground and pound. (like 'the ultimate fighter' koschek vs leben, except it was ground and lay ontop of)

sp9
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    The UFC heavily favors wrestlers and does'nt mind if the fighters Lay N Pray their way to a decision victory whereas in Pride, you will be called for stalling (Yellow Card/10% purse gone) and moved to the center of the ring or stood up so the fighters can do what they came for and that is fight.
    I could not disagree with that more. Pride allows things to stay on the ground much more than the UFC. I have tried to get several people involved in at least watching the sport and they all enjoy the UFC much more because they have less of an appreciation for grappling as a sport or as entertainment.

I like grappling and submission fighting but it is all about how educated you are. If you have only watched boxing your whole life most people do not understand all of the grappling that is going on.

Peace!

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by sp9
    I could not disagree with that more. Pride allows things to stay on the ground much more than the UFC. I have tried to get several people involved in at least watching the sport and they all enjoy the UFC much more because they have less of an appreciation for grappling as a sport or as entertainment.

I like grappling and submission fighting but it is all about how educated you are. If you have only watched boxing your whole life most people do not understand all of the grappling that is going on.

Peace!

very true.

very more entertaining to watch.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    UFC over Pride?

OMG.....there is no hope here!

sp9
    UFC over Pride?

I like both, I understand the differences. What I am saying is that when you take people who have never watched mma before they get very bored with ground fighting that lasts very long, especially if it ends up being 12 minutes of a 15 minute round in Pride.

I am not talking about quality of fighters or anything like that just what I have heard in comments from many people who have never watched before. I had about a dozen freinds come over and watch each day of the Pride HW GP last year as well as several UFC's. They don't come over for Pride any more but still show up for UFC. They made it clear why that is.

BDTR is offline Retired
    The two can't be compared, i hardly even want to order UFC anymore.

UFC over Pride?

sp9
    New Pride this Sunday in the US...its on my list to get. Screw my friends I will watch it by myself! Crocop vs Coleman should be a good grappling vs. striking matchup. Crocop is fast. Coleman is on the downside of his career. Please no spoilers from people who have already seen the event.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Yeah but the results are already out... Hard to get excited and Pay for it
    when you already know the outcome of the fights... They need to fix that
    part of it IMHO... Because of that I like the UFC better, I like not knowing...

Quote Originally Posted by sp9
    New Pride this Sunday in the US...its on my list to get. Screw my friends I will watch it by myself! Crocop vs Coleman should be a good grappling vs. striking matchup. Crocop is fast. Coleman is on the downside of his career. Please no spoilers from people who have already seen the event.

sp9
    Quote Originally Posted by buff87
    Yeah but the results are already out... Hard to get excited and Pay for it
    when you already know the outcome of the fights... They need to fix that
    part of it IMHO... Because of that I like the UFC better, I like not knowing...
    Yep - I stay off all the MMA boards when waiting. I don't know the results yet. Actually the debut is tomorrow at 10pm not Sunday.

The deal with some of the delays is the WWE. They have more pull with the pay per view companies and bump Pride to the next week whenever they have an event the same week which happens quite often.

hurricanejujitsu is offline Junior Member
    As for the original question...
    "The wrestler almost always wins, any opinions on why."

That is not a factual statement. But when Wrestlers do win, It is often because of their physical Strength and Endurance. Anyone who has wrestled can atest to the Hard Traning regimens... JuJitsu and others focus more time training tecnique, leverage and timing. There is some drilling" (UciKomme) but not as intense Strength and explosive training, in most cases, as wrestling./
    Sometimes Tecnique overcomes, sometimes Strength, Most times Attrition!
    Now days Most fighters are bolth skilled and strong, but the guy who has been DRILLING Plyometrics sense middle school has an advantage in strength/Explosivness!
    As for the Diffrence between UFC/Pride... SIMPLE CAGE VS. RING and the cage definatly favors the wrestler (ground n pound) grappler!

sp9
    Yep. How about MIrko's take down defense against coleman. Made Coleman look like a chump. I know the guy is 40 yrs old and a great fighter but he was not nearly quick enough. Take down defenses are getting better all the time.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    So in ConClusion you kan say its either the Lucky Punch or the Lucky Takedown that wins eh?

hurricanejujitsu is offline Junior Member
    Well Placed and well timed! Luck is more like when you see that roundhouse fly over your head and think whewww im lucky that missed me i didnt see it comming! lol

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricanejujitsu
    Well Placed and well timed! Luck is more like when you see that roundhouse fly over your head and think whewww im lucky that missed me i didnt see it comming! lol
    well then im definitely not Lucky ><

Thread Information