Thread: BJJ + lifting?

redmeat is offline Senior Member

BJJ + lifting?

I just found a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu club 10 min. from my house, and it's in some way affiliated with one of the Gracies. I really want to start training.

My question is, is it possible to lift and gain muscle and strength while also training BJJ, or is it too much?

If you are going to train multiple days a week it will be hard. The work-outs are very intense and you will almost always walk out in a full sweat. But, if you are motivated and eat a great deal you can probably add some lean muscle mass.

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I'm 6'1, around 305 lbs (solid, not fat). Would it be a good idea for me to drop some weight first? I've been powerlifting for the last couple years so I'm strong but I'm sure my conditioning sucks.

If your interested, go for it now. The work-outs will definately help the conditioning believe me!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Alot will depend on your own natural abilities to fight and recover too. Perosnally I find it too easy to add muscle!. Although I'm abit off 300lbs, I do hover around 270 most of the time but I fight best at around 240. I can make my weight at 240 for only a short period, then as soon as I lift a weight or eat I gain rapid. At 270 I just find my game is way too slow and get tied up by 240 pounders way too easy.

So is it possible to add muscle mass and fight, yes it is, but at what cost to your game!.

I think 'TapouT' (a member here) had a very good thread on weight training and BJJ sometime last year, we could try find it.

I train in Judo and kickboxing, and lately have been dabbling in Vale tudo.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I have no problem training judo and lift weights, it only helps my back development and cardio wich helps me in the gym.
    I always make my gi red with blood on the back haha.

Therocksbiggestfan is offline Associate Member
    U Should Be Fine Training Bjj And Lifting...i Do I Train Bjj And Mma Stuff And I Lift Alot Its Fine And U Will Get In Great Cardiovasiculor Shape From Bjj

Glock-19 is offline Banned
    Hell ya liftin will help your BJJ. Im being trained by a third degree black belt who was trained by the Gracies. We train in a Gym called "The HolE" In El Dorado. Strength helps with powering in and out of moves and in the clintch. Pm me If you want to train with us. We need more heavy weights.

Thread Information