Best Style in a MMA fight?

What do you guys think is the most important discipline (if you could only have one) in a MMA fight.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Quote Originally Posted by catabolic kid
    What do you guys think is the most important discipline (if you could only have one) in a MMA fight.
    1 dicipline is not enough now days to be a competitive fighter. Must have striking and grappling diciplines preferable more than one of each.

Remember the interview with Bruce Lee? He would not teach Karate any more because he did not believe in the limitations of a single style.

Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottp999
    1 dicipline is not enough now days to be a competitive fighter. Must have striking and grappling diciplines preferable more than one of each.

Remember the interview with Bruce Lee? He would not teach Karate any more because he did not believe in the limitations of a single style.
    Bruce Lee never taught Karate. He was chinese...he taught kung fu. I know, I know....symantics right!

darmadoc is offline Member
    Dim Mak, the pressure points of death! But it is so deadly that its secrets can only be found in special books costing 10-20 dollars!

Ju Jitsu, it's deadly strikes as well as down and dirty grappling and ground techniques

I would probally vote for.............

the "catching flies with chopsticks" style
    Alex

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    If I'd to choose one particular style it would be Muay Thai, but in asking us to pick only one style your not talking about MMA then!.

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    You need to be well versed in many styles to be succesfull in MMA, thats what MMA is Mixed Martial Arts. I agree with bouncer though Thai is a good base as it incoperates kicks and some boxing skill, but if thats all you know and you get taken down good night!

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darmadoc
    Dim Mak, the pressure points of death! But it is so deadly that its secrets can only be found in special books costing 10-20 dollars!
    LOL, classic one, I think it's a hybrid not just one style, I'd take a wrestling, jui-jitsu, muay thai background.

sp9
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown
    Bruce Lee never taught Karate. He was chinese...he taught kung fu. I know, I know....symantics right!
    Really????????????? That's cool. I have one of his interviews on video where he says he doesn't teach karate because he doesn't believe in styles any more.

He chose the word karate.

It was a video that Wesley Snipes put together and aired on TNT.

I could post a link to the video if you want I will pm it to you.
    Last edited by scottp999; 02-10-2005 at 08:52 PM.

I'd like to see a link to the video

inovator is offline New Member
    Bruce Lee Studied a style of kungfu call Win Kung is was a simplex version on hung ga Kung-Fu. As far a style in MMA does. I would go with a mix of Mai Thai and Krava Maga or Mai Thai and Jujitsu. Krav maga is the closest to street fighting your going to get. But as far and grappling its Jujitsu all the way. But Mai Ta and Krava maga are a good mix in my opinion.

sp9
    This link is good for 25 downloads or 7 days:

http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...H12T1HWXBFXUTJ

2 Fingered Chicken Karate

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    monkey style kung fu! i dont think one is more important, you need to be well rounded in mma but you gotta have heart or dont even show up

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    I might not know karate but I know crazy.

dingobite is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groverman1
    I might not know karate but I know crazy.

I think bruce was just being smart after all a kick is a kick if it not in your arse.

I could just see him teaching people the same karate elvis learned VegasFu.

Choice Muay Thai only id be a bit more flexible.
    Last edited by dingobite; 02-11-2005 at 05:48 PM.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    Ju Jitsu, it's deadly strikes as well as down and dirty grappling and ground techniques

Last time I checked Jiu jitsu did not have any striking in its discipline!!!!

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by inovator
    Bruce Lee Studied a style of kungfu call Win Kung is was a simplex version on hung ga Kung-Fu. As far a style in MMA does. I would go with a mix of Mai Thai and Krava Maga or Mai Thai and Jujitsu. Krav maga is the closest to street fighting your going to get. But as far and grappling its Jujitsu all the way. But Mai Ta and Krava maga are a good mix in my opinion.
    I thought Mai Thais were drinks

I will go with "thug jitsu" ..........yeves edwards is trash with a little talent!

If I were to go into the UFC with only one style it would be either

Iron Penis ...or Flying Golden Monkey Ass.

If you know how to do either of those moves you would be tottaly undefeated!!!

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    drinking and martial arts?

Alfamale is offline Associate Member
    Kraw maga is not for MMA because they almost only goes for eyes, groin and throat..
    Traditional Jujitsu isent in my opinion so effectiv like BJJ.

Alfamale is offline Associate Member
    I came home from Thailand today after 3 weeks of hardcoretraining. I think Muay Thai is the most effectiv martialart of all, great kicks, great punches and elbows, lots of good throws. But in MMA you cant only have that you have at least have some good ground defence and be able to punch and elbow on the ground and ofcourse if you are a standup fighter you must be real good at sprawling.

OK, i know what MMA is, you have to be well rounded...but you cant be an expert in more than one style. For example, Mark Kerr, Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman are all wrestlers-that is there style of fighting. the ufc original purpose was to see what discipline was superior.

Gmill13 is offline Associate Member
    Muay Thaiboxong/western Boxing and Jui Jitsu/wrestling.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger

Stop and rethink your question: What kind of discipline is most imoprtant in a "MIXED MARTIAL ART" fight? That in itself does not make sense.

If i only had one...it would be BJJ...but this is MMA and i chose to train BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling personally.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 02-14-2005 at 03:26 PM.

sp9
    OK, i know what MMA is, you have to be well rounded...but you cant be an expert in more than one style. For example, Mark Kerr, Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman are all wrestlers-that is there style of fighting. the ufc original purpose was to see what discipline was superior.
    Remember even though Kerr had a wrestling background he went to one of the best strikers ever to train for striking (Bas Rutten).

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    If I'd to choose one particular style it would be Muay Thai, but in asking us to pick only one style your not talking about MMA then!.

very true.

id go with jui jitsu

hurricanejujitsu is offline Junior Member

Talking

for the record Ture Jujitsu (a parent art) does have strikes. Not intended to be "one punch Kill" like Karate; however, used as "Atime" to distract for a throw or takedown.\ BJJ is a style that has evolved from SPORT JUDO in wich all Jujitsu strikes were taken out. Even now, Sport Jujitsu has strikes!
    \As for the thread question... Now days one style is defenatly not enough to comeate in NHB. Years ago, before everyone was so educted on various styles, one might say the advantage would go to the grappler. With only one chance of a KO before being taken down, most strikers fell victom to the control of a grappler. - research some of the old Gene Labell Judo vs. Boxer challenges!

CARNIVORE is offline Associate Member

Jkd

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown
    Bruce Lee founded and taught the art of Jeet Kune Do (The Art of The Intercepting Fist), Wing Chung (a style of Kung Fu) is the main nucleus , Western Boxing and Fencing make up the rest....symantics right!

Peace,
    CARNIVORE

Thread Information