TiptronicSoldier is offline Associate Member

Training Regimen for Boxing?

Hey Guys,

Im going to start boxing again this year starting this, now that I'm back from vacation. I was wondering on how to lift in preparation for boxing. I usually lift low reps (6-10) for strength along with core lifts such as dead lift, squats, BB presses. I think also Im going to start incorporating Power Cleans again as well, those always helped with being more explosive.

If anyone has any tips on how to lift I would love to hear them, thanks.

I gotta blow the dust off my speed and heavy bag today .

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Uhh.. I think low reps is definatly a bad choice. Most of your time is going to be spent doing cardio. I would reccomend high reps on most of the body parts.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiptronicSoldier
    Hey Guys,

Im going to start boxing again this year starting this, now that I'm back from vacation. I was wondering on how to lift in preparation for boxing. I usually lift low reps (6-10) for strength along with core lifts such as dead lift, squats, BB presses. I think also Im going to start incorporating Power Cleans again as well, those always helped with being more explosive.

If anyone has any tips on how to lift I would love to hear them, thanks.

I gotta blow the dust off my speed and heavy bag today .

As an athlete you'll need to focus on your core strength more than anything. Lift no more than 2x per week using only compound and injury preventing exercizes like l-flys and neck strength. I wouldnt worry about rep scheme too much. Think about time in the weightroom as a means that, paired with diet, cardio, and recovery will keep you at or near your desired weight.

Unless you fight in a class much lighter than your usual weight, or can't train with gloves on nearly everyday, regular cardio will probably be unecessary. I took standard boxing for about a month and quit not because I was getting my ass kicked (but ****it, I sure as hell was), but because the 2 hours 4 times a week had me so overtrained; I couldn't eat. I was also in the service as a rifleman at the time, played for the base soccer team, and got drunk everynight. Nevertheless, I was young, and that kind of workout will drop a resting heart rate faster than time on the elliptical will.

This is what I do when I'm in a sprinting cycle or am trying to increase one of my major lifts at the expense or stagnation in the progress of the rest of my program.

I work out monday and thursday.

On monday I do military press in a 5x5; chins in 2 sets, 2nd to failure; and revearse hyperextensions. After that I do supporting work like neck and rotator-cuff calistenics.

Thursday I do deadlift 5x5; slight incline bench press 2 sets, 2nd to failure; and trap-bar deadlift, 1 set to failure; torso rotation, 3 sets to failure; hip abb/adduction, 2 heavy sets.

You can avoid overtraining by using fewer sets, but I think even a hardgainer could grow on this program due to its low volume, simplicity, and infrequency of training to allow for recovery.
    Last edited by inheritmylife; 03-25-2005 at 02:04 AM.

Yeah, Im doing heavy bag etc. for cardio. As for lifting, Ive been doing core lifts. I always incorporate dead lift, then I started doing cleans again. I'm more into bodybuilding, but I like to do a tournament around this time of the year, with a few of my buddies for fun. It's more just get it out of my system, stress build up, adrenaline, etc. I think everyone would be better off if they fought everynow and then with some gloves on, right ?

crazymass is offline New Member
    I do some boxing but mostly wrestling its has the same consept of indurence. you shouldnt be lifting low reps but you should be lifting high reps low weight. and work on your cardio

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    ok,
    low reps heavy weight is good for power.
    It WILL NOT make you slower.
    doing high reps will help your muscular endurance but it would be a waste of time of you just hit the speed bag, punching bag, focus mitts, ect ect.
    Dont listen to those people that tell you not to do low reps. They do not know what they are talking about.

Core and cardio is key and you seem to know that.

For boxing, I would do a lot of rotator cuff exercises - whenever you do bench you at the end of each rep try to push your shoulders foreward that will strenghten your rotator cuff also,
    a lot of incline bench, flys...and everything else incline.
    That will help for punching power.
    Make your legs strong, cuz lots of power comes from legs too.
    Dead lifts, squats, leapfrogs with weights, plyometrics - boxes are my favorite.
    Pretty much, stick with big power movement, explosive stuff.
    it seems like you know your stuff already.

Lifting 4 times a week should be good, but you got to get a lot of rest and eat good if you plan on doing cardio and boxing as well.

lots of people gwt confused on core work.
    Core work usually refers to ab work.
    And that is the single most important part of your body you should work out, as far as the weight room is concerned. I can not stress that enough. It will make a world of difference in any sport you play!

Good luck bro, I know how it is to come back after a while.
    Just stick with it.

Thanks you hit it on the spot. My body type has always been more athletic, through power lifts and hitting the bag. What do you do for cardio? Other than the bag, I think I might switch to doing sprints on the track once a week, and hitting the bag twice a week.

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ
    ok,
    low reps heavy weight is good for power.
    It WILL NOT make you slower.
    doing high reps will help your muscular endurance but it would be a waste of time of you just hit the speed bag, punching bag, focus mitts, ect ect.
    Dont listen to those people that tell you not to do low reps. They do not know what they are talking about.

Core and cardio is key and you seem to know that.

For boxing, I would do a lot of rotator cuff exercises - whenever you do bench you at the end of each rep try to push your shoulders foreward that will strenghten your rotator cuff also,
    a lot of incline bench, flys...and everything else incline.
    That will help for punching power.
    Make your legs strong, cuz lots of power comes from legs too.
    Dead lifts, squats, leapfrogs with weights, plyometrics - boxes are my favorite.
    Pretty much, stick with big power movement, explosive stuff.
    it seems like you know your stuff already.

Lifting 4 times a week should be good, but you got to get a lot of rest and eat good if you plan on doing cardio and boxing as well.

lots of people gwt confused on core work.
    Core work usually refers to ab work.
    And that is the single most important part of your body you should work out, as far as the weight room is concerned. I can not stress that enough. It will make a world of difference in any sport you play!

Good luck bro, I know how it is to come back after a while.
    Just stick with it.
    finally, a guy who understands how to apply weight training to fighting! u don't know how long i've spent trying to explain this to lunkheadz in the gym. any serious fighter is going to be doing endless amounts of muscular endurance work just from their skills routine. excuse me if i want to get strength from my strength program!

also for plyos, throw yourself down into a push up position, and launch yourself back to your feet with a leaping push up.

and cardio, cardio, cardio. you can even use your weight training as part of an HIIT cardio routine. i often use my big compound motions as the "sprint" phase of an HIIT routine. i keep my heart rate elevated by shadow boxing, and then i do a balls to the wall set of a big compound motion like deadlifts. this prepares you for all out explosive efforts.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rep
    finally, a guy who understands how to apply weight training to fighting! u don't know how long i've spent trying to explain this to lunkheadz in the gym. any serious fighter is going to be doing endless amounts of muscular endurance work just from their skills routine. excuse me if i want to get strength from my strength program!

also for plyos, throw yourself down into a push up position, and launch yourself back to your feet with a leaping push up.

and cardio, cardio, cardio. you can even use your weight training as part of an HIIT cardio routine. i often use my big compound motions as the "sprint" phase of an HIIT routine. i keep my heart rate elevated by shadow boxing, and then i do a balls to the wall set of a big compound motion like deadlifts. this prepares you for all out explosive efforts.

For cardio I would say a mix between some down n' dirty shadow boxing, 3-5 mile runs and sprints.
    !!!!!!!!!!!YOU ARE NOT A FIGHTER IF YOU DO NOT SHADOW BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like your plyo exercise idea.
    I do something similar to that for MMA.
    What you do is throw a punch combo and maybe one or two kicks then fall into a sprawl and shoot back up as fast as you can, do that continuosly for 5x -five minute rounds, and see if you can walk afterwards!
    Also same thing with the punching combo except do it for 30 sec, then hit the ground and hold pushup position (chest 2-3 inches off ground) for 30 sec, keep doing that continuosly for about fifteen minutes.
    Sometimes when I jog, I like to throw punches, and every five minutes just drop and do 30 pushups, then get back up and keep jogging.
    Last edited by phwSSJ; 04-06-2005 at 02:26 AM.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    You know I never understood these guys who try to bodybuild.
    They try to get as huge as possible and dont do any cardio cuz they think they are gona loose all of their muscle. Just to let you know..its you litteraly have to starve to loose muscle, or be an elite endurance athlete!
    I think that is just stupid. I kind of understand if you are a pro and you just have to look like a freak and every little bit counts...
    but for the rest of these guys ???????

I mean, what the hell is the point of having a huge body if you have a tiny weak heart.
    No wonder so many of those steroid users have heart problems!!!
    I mean seriously, that is your heart, and the only thing more important in your body than that is your brain, why would anyone want to fk with their body like that?????

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ
    For cardio I would say a mix between some down n' dirty shadow boxing, 3-5 mile runs and sprints.
    !!!!!!!!!!!YOU ARE NOT A FIGHTER IF YOU DO NOT SHADOW BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like your plyo exercise idea.
    I do something similar to that for MMA.
    What you do is throw a punch combo and maybe one or two kicks then fall into a sprawl and shoot back up as fast as you can, do that continuosly for 5x -five minute rounds, and see if you can walk afterwards!
    Also same thing with the punching combo except do it for 30 sec, then hit the ground and hold pushup position (chest 2-3 inches off ground) for 30 sec, keep doing that continuosly for about fifteen minutes.
    Sometimes when I jog, I like to throw punches, and every five minutes just drop and do 30 pushups, then get back up and keep jogging.
    i got it from MMA too, and it's even more useful there. but i boxed for years and i consider it one of the best exercises for explosive strength in your triceps.

for MMA, i just shadowbox the same combos i expect to throw in my fight. i visualize an opponent slipping under, and i sprawl, explode back up and repeat. killer cardio!

Thread Information