Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Amateur boxing weightlifting workout

I posted this on the workout board but noone replied. Maybe somebody will here.

I've recently got back into amateur boxing. I also work a full time job + overtime. Some days I have to stay late at work and only have the time and energy to do one workout that day if that. I'm 6' 215 lbs. with some bodyfat, 25 years old.

Here's my question: If I can only fit in one day of weight training a week, what exercises should I do? Between all the heavybag work, punch mitt work, jump roping, sparring, speed bag, etc. I'm drained completely. And I also feel that boxing uses every muscle in your body so I feel like not only is my cardio getting improved but my muscles as well.

I was thinking of trying this. A one day a week workout but each week I alternate the workouts between Workout A and Workout B:

Workout A

Day 1

Deads 3x5
    Flat dumbell press 10,8,6
    Close grip lat pulldowns 12,10,8
    Seated reverse flys 12,10,8
    Kneeling cable crunches 15,12,10
    4 way neck machine 3x10

Workout B

Day 1

Squats 3x5
    Bent over dumbell rows 10,8,6
    Wide grip lat pulldowns 12,10,8
    Seated rear rotator cuff exercise 15,12,10
    Dumbell shrugs 12,10,8
    Seated side lateral raises 12,10,8

Start A again

or this:

4 days a week (all right after my boxing workouts):

Day 1 Mon

Bench Press 10,8,6
    Kneeling cable crunches 15,12,10
    4 way neck machine 3x10

Day 2

Squats 3x5
    Deads 3x5
    Barbell shrugs 12,10,8

Day 3

Seated side lat raises 15,12,10
    Seated reverse flys 15,12,10
    Seated rear rotator cuff exercise 15,12,10

Day 4

Seated cable rows 10,8,6
    Close grip lat pulldowns 12,10,8
    Wide grip lat pulldowns 12,10,8

If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it.

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    tbh dude theres is not alot you can do with wieghts that will helkp you in the ring apart from natural strength such as leaning in to your apponent or hold you opponent off so i would stick to your boxing workouts such as

Day 1 :

ABS > Forearm pullups > short arm pressups.

Day 2 :

Dips > lunges without any wieght apart from the gloves your wearing > medicine ball sides and abs.

Day 3 :

Wide arm pullups > Leg raises with some wieght but enough to keep reps high > wide arm pressups.

Repeat... Accordinly.

You got to remeber boxing is like ballet you need to be light on your feet and ready to move.so if you do not think you have the strength now at 25 you will never have natural strength so you should look more at your tactics in the ring.

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    i box and workout... there is alot of truth in your post "box this" but i'm a firm believer in working out with weights... some feel you get slower but it all depends the weight you lift and how you lift it... I recommend all explosive exercises to workout strength and fast twitched muscles... for ex. plyometrics(requiring balance, lateral movements)... also big compound exercises -sport specific- such as power cleans, jumping squats/lunges, weighted dips, weighted pull ups, shoulder jerks (easy on rotator) keep it simple and I would recommend 2 workouts a week. Not after your boxing workout (rope,shadow,ring movement, bag work, mitts, and possible sparring) way to much for you to be effective with weights... my 2 cents..

The thing is these days you have to make with in a couple of pounds the wieght in wich your fighting except for heavy in the pro ranks that is and they have so much they can do to alter there way in fighting such as bulk up and lift alot of wieghts because they are fighting a big puncher and they think there wieght will transfer over bigger shots for them selfs wich is a bit weaser in my mind because if somone is a big puncher and hitting you to the head there is no such exercise that will make your face stronger also if you gain a little strentgh in the bulk you have been putting on with muscle your legs are surley going going to wobble because of the uneven ballance from your top half of your body to the legs....ive spoke about this alot with the younger boys at my gym and told them if they are going to lift any wieght then make sure you lift light and alot reps because it seems to be the thing these days...

Hope you get what you want out of boxing anyway because its an amazing sport probably one of the finest around

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Box This*
    tbh dude theres is not alot you can do with wieghts that will helkp you in the ring apart from natural strength such as leaning in to your apponent or hold you opponent off so i would stick to your boxing workouts such as
    You got to remeber boxing is like ballet you need to be light on your feet and ready to move.so if you do not think you have the strength now at 25 you will never have natural strength so you should look more at your tactics in the ring.

I think you dont know what you are talking about.

Not trying to flame, I just think what you are saying does not make sense.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    As far as finding a good workout routine for fighting.
    There are a couple rules of thumb.

TOP 5 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO TRAIN (not in order)

-cardio
    -core strength (abs)
    -leg/neck strength
    -flexibility
    -overall expolosiveness and muscular endurance

I would do a rotator cuff warmup right after your cardio warm up, before every upper body workout day.

Each abb workout needs to increase in intensity each time.
    and one exercise per workout is definitly not enough.

Your neck holds your head dont forget that. Along with the 4 way machine try some other stuff cuz that is not enough!

You can alternat between lifting for power and for muscular endurace. Depending on your genetics you will be better at one of the two. But regardless the majority of your weight training should be focused on power and expolsiveness. Only because the endurance part you should be getting from drills you do in your boxing training.

As far as frequency of workouts, every one is different.
    You just have to take some time and experiment. See what works best for you.

For example- I found that I get better results if I work out the same muscle twice a week instead of one. and I like to workout my neck no less than 3 times a week. But that is my body, some people would disagree with my methods... but they have a different body.

As far as exercises. I would stay away from most of the exercises that are seated if you can do them standing. Cuz in the ring you are gona be standing, I hope!

I would do deads, squats, powercleans, clean and jerk, and snatches. Along with some pullups, standing barbell rows, pushups, standing millitary press, standing raises(deltoid), dips, bench (all ranges), plyometrics, stretching between each set and 30 min after workout.

That should be more than enough with your boxing trainig.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ
    I think you dont know what you are talking about.

Not trying to flame, I just think what you are saying does not make sense.
    And what level of boxing do you do ?

As far as finding a good workout routine for fighting.
    There are a couple rules of thumb.

TOP 5 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO TRAIN (not in order)

-cardio
    -core strength (abs)
    -leg/neck strength
    -flexibility
    -overall expolosiveness and muscular endurance

I would do a rotator cuff warmup right after your cardio warm up, before every upper body workout day.

Each abb workout needs to increase in intensity each time.
    and one exercise per workout is definitly not enough.

Your neck holds your head dont forget that. Along with the 4 way machine try some other stuff cuz that is not enough!

You can alternat between lifting for power and for muscular endurace. Depending on your genetics you will be better at one of the two. But regardless the majority of your weight training should be focused on power and expolsiveness. Only because the endurance part you should be getting from drills you do in your boxing training.

As far as frequency of workouts, every one is different.
    You just have to take some time and experiment. See what works best for you.

For example- I found that I get better results if I work out the same muscle twice a week instead of one. and I like to workout my neck no less than 3 times a week. But that is my body, some people would disagree with my methods... but they have a different body.

As far as exercises. I would stay away from most of the exercises that are seated if you can do them standing. Cuz in the ring you are gona be standing, I hope!

I would do deads, squats, powercleans, clean and jerk, and snatches. Along with some pullups, standing barbell rows, pushups, standing millitary press, standing raises(deltoid), dips, bench (all ranges), plyometrics, stretching between each set and 30 min after workout.

That should be more than enough with your boxing trainig.

Good luck
    If you got time after doing that you can concentrate on the boxing

And what level of boxing do you do ?
    Obviously not a level you would like to share with us.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Obviously not a level you would like to share with us.

I used to fight pro before I injured my neck.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you.
    You obviously are new...

And it seems as though you do not know much about training or fighting.

You can lift hard and train for fighting all at the same time it just takes discipline and determination.

I used to fight pro before I injured my neck.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you.
    You obviously are new...

And it seems as though you do not know much about training or fighting.

You can lift hard and train for fighting all at the same time it just takes discipline and determination.
    Dude i just looked through most of your posts and to be honest all you do is critisize people and what they say.

It seems to me you are the best at everything but a master at ****all

Thread Information