Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    De La Riva (trained under Carlson Sr) beat him in Brazil at the Rio state tourney in 1986 at his first BB tourney. I dont think he is a liar.

Maybe you meant ranked MMA tourneys, which I never claimed nor did the original tittle or thread.
    Last edited by Billy_Bathgate; 07-16-2005 at 10:20 PM.

btw he also beat Rolker Gracie and Arthur Cardenard (who was considered one of the best students from the Gracie Academy at that time) all in the same competition. Also won most tech fighter that year and the next. Also beat Royler 2x after that.

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    Royce lost a controvartion decision to Yoshida. And a draw at UFC 5 superfight against Ken Shamrock

Gracie fighter is offline New Member
    lmao at thinking a BJJ match is a fight. De la Riva beat Royce on POINTS in a BJJ match. All respect to Ricardo but a BJJ match is NOT a fight.

like i said, never did i say it was. however, being that bjj would probally be what you would call his specialty, id say it has some warrant anyways. even by points, that would also say royce obviously didnt sub him either.

and your point is what? this thread is about Bruce Lee vs Royce?

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    Bruce!

Bruce Who

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie fighter
    and your point is what? this thread is about Bruce Lee vs Royce?
    the point was that contrary to the belief that the gracies (specifically royce in this thread) are not undefeatable and lee beating him would not have been impossible.

the other stuff had nothing to do with this thread until people disbelieved royces losses.

not taking anything away from them at all, but the fact is that they are not undefeatable just as everyone else of time.

who said they are unbeatable? i think any half way decent MMA fighter would beat bruce lee. The Gracies showed the world the effectiveness of BJJ and now the world has caught up and broadend the game with effecitve T/d defense and clinchfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by yannick32
    Bruce Who
    Lee? Who did you think? Bruce Vilanch.

Take nothing away from the Gracies. Anyone who has faced a Gracie trained BJJ fighter knows its a very difficult style to deal with, and one of the most effective. The Gracies would do well no matter who they face.

However, to put down Bruce Lee's accomplishments and to say he was an actor is very unfair indeed. Do some research on Bruce Lee's life and his art. You''l realize just what a rare individual he was.

thunder20 is offline Associate Member
    no doubt bruce lee was amazing but he said himself if someone boxed for a year and wrestled for a year they could beat any martial artist...look it up......he has no sprawl, so submission defence and no idea what to do on the ground....would he beat royce up in a striking match...yes no arguement there but if you put them in a mma fight ring or cage it would be over in a couple minutes at most.....all those fancy kicks and punches arent so effective when you are on your back. bruce lee would not stand a chance

DerDon is offline Junior Member
    I agree with thunder. Bruce was a very offense oriented fighter, speed + power. "IF" royce could get him down, or get a nice grapple on bruce, its over. Bruce is not a grappler or ground fighter at all. And Bruce was way more than actor.....much much much much much much more.

Quote Originally Posted by FRANK WHITE
    However, to put down Bruce Lee's accomplishments and to say he was an actor is very unfair indeed. Do some research on Bruce Lee's life and his art. You''l realize just what a rare individual he was.
    I have read several books on Bruce Lee including "the Tao of Jeet Kune Do"

I know well more than my fair share about him and his start in Win Chun to his eventual development of JKD. he has never FOUGHT at the highest level UNDER any TYPE of Rules. HE is Known for his Acting. He is NOT even the best Fighter from his Generation and to Compare him to Real fighters who lay it on the line in MMA is crap.

Chuck Norris has true records, he competed for real in full contact karate events in the 70 and did lose for 5 years.

No one can say Bruce Lee wasnt a good inspiration, because he was and he lead the path for great heros that we add, like van damme, seagal, jet li and many more.

Has for Royce Gracie he would have kicked bruce with the high kick and take him down real fast has he did in UFC1 and arm bar him.

radar1234 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick32
    Chuck Norris has true records, he competed for real in full contact karate events in the 70 and did lose for 5 years.

No one can say Bruce Lee wasnt a good inspiration, because he was and he lead the path for great heros that we add, like van damme, seagal, jet li and many more.

Has for Royce Gracie he would have kicked bruce with the high kick and take him down real fast has he did in UFC1 and arm bar him.
    van damme,seagaland jet li????? heroes????? you are one delusional frenchman lol

Well i was younger and van damme add a great shape

Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    This is a pretty silly thread, but INHO...

Bruce Lee kicks him in the nuts and delivers a bil jee (one of his favorites) in 10 seconds and it's all over. Remember in so called NHB matches there are no attacks to the groin, eyes or throat and no biting allowed. These are all "Street" fighting attacks. Sure BJJ works well in the ring or octagon, but a good street fighter will deliver one of these attacks long before it goes to the ground. Even on the ground the eyes and throat are great targets and biting, done the right way, is a great attack.

Don't get me wrong, I think BJJ belongs in a persons arsenal, but I think it's overrated because of its success in the UFC, Pride and others.

MT

I dont understand why people say its a silly tread but post a reply anyways???????

A this humanity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information