Thread: MMA workout

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member

MMA workout

Ill keep this sttraight and to the point, i used to lift a bodubuilding type workout, now im starting MMA so i just put together a twice a week workout, am i on the right track?

Tuesday

Flat Bench press- x8 x6 x6 x4
    Smith bent over row- x8 x6 x6 x4
    Dead lifts- same
    Military barbell-same
    squats- same

saterday

Flat dumbell- 3x 12
    leg press-3x12
    Wide lat pull down-3x12
    dumbell lunges-3x12
    dumbell rows-3x12
    pushups or dips 3 sets to failure

How this look guys, i put one day for pure strength and one day for endurance, on the Saterday workout ill prob only take 50-60 secs breaks inbetween each set, keep it fast pace and really get a good workout?>

GridIronDevil is offline Associate Member
    looks like itd be a good pan to me, especially since it lets you have 5 other days of fight training...only way to find out is give it a try and see what kind of results you get bro. GL

i 100 persent agree, just making sure it makes sense, and its not counter productive, i agree trying it is the only way, but jut making sure theorry is correct and its a good method

thenewtrend is offline New Member
    the only thing id recommend would be some cleans and plyos, i fight out of washington and after doing alot of med ball drills and explosive lifts i had quite a bit more power (duh, right lol) but id throw cleans in there as well

I think im going to try this workout, it seems very geared toward MMA, ne thoughts on this workout??? u can skip tot he bottom for the actaul workout, the entire article just backs up its theory
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wiggy1.htm

what r plyos?

savax is offline Associate Member
    plyometrics

Alfamale is offline Associate Member
    It looks good, you can put in chins and olympic lifts in also and make sure that you do plymetrics also it is great for your exlosivity.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    If your lifting while doing MMA as I do, I suggest doing more higher reps with moderate weight. I do 2 bodyparts a session using push/pull -- chest/bi's legs/shoulders - back/tri's... I was doing more powermovements earlier lifting 5 days and doing MMA 5 days, and I was burned big time... so I changed to 3 days and it seemed to work fine. Also, I do more DB movements as well especially on chest days.

SID

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thenewtrend
    the only thing id recommend would be some cleans and plyos, i fight out of washington and after doing alot of med ball drills and explosive lifts i had quite a bit more power (duh, right lol) but id throw cleans in there as well
    Exactly what I was gonna say, and add a good amount of abwork in there!

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ripsid
    If your lifting while doing MMA as I do, I suggest doing more higher reps with moderate weight. I do 2 bodyparts a session using push/pull -- chest/bi's legs/shoulders - back/tri's... I was doing more powermovements earlier lifting 5 days and doing MMA 5 days, and I was burned big time... so I changed to 3 days and it seemed to work fine. Also, I do more DB movements as well especially on chest days.

SID

Everyone is different but I dont see how doing high reps would be more beneficial than working those fast twitch muscle fibers and getting some explosive strength training with heavy weights. Cuz your MMA drills should be more than enough of a high rep workout, if you do it right.

If you wear yourself out then you are doing something wrong.
    I am a firm believer in powerlifting as a part of MMA training.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    The idea with the higher reps is based on endurance. And it's not the drills I'm worried about doin them with, it's when you're sparring and rolling that I felt the benefit.

The problem that I had was I was killing myself in my lifting sessions with heavy A$$'d weight and it took away from my training and sparring. Look it worked for me and it was just a suggestion, and I still would have power movements in my workouts. Clean and jerks, etc. before I torqued my back up I'd throw medicine balls behind me as if I was doing throws.

Again, it worked for me I thought I'd throw it out there...

SID

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    ripsid can you post you weight training routine, i trained last week with heavy weights and that did really help my back either.

I gotta go back with high reps, man i understand back problem i got them for 3 years now.

crazydick is offline Junior Member

Training and MMA

Core Core Core, I hit low back and abs 5 days per week. I don't rest between sets, when I'm fighting I don't get to hit the guy 6 times then stop and rest. I do upper back and bi's and superset my abbs and low back between sets. Then I do chest, tris and shoulders superseting with low back and bis, then legs superseting again with low back and abs. I am a strong mother****er, I have tried a shitload of programs over the last 15 years and this one works great for me. Also, I have two ruptured disks and my back is a constant struggle, this program helps, let me know if you want more details. sets,reps,excersize Etc.

Thread Information