ojsmoothy is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up "Combat Conditioning" Don't buy the book, just read this!

The book by Matt Furey "Combat Conditioning" is an awesome book. What isn't awesome is the $50 price tag, and all the other additional products he tries to sell you. Here is the article I wish I would of found before shelling out the dough, Mike Mahler (real cool guy) breaks down the four best exercises in the book, for free!!! Adding these into your training will build up muscular endurance beyond anything else you have tried, and really focuses you in a yoga-esque way. The only one Mahler doesn;t discuss is the one legged squat, just search for that on bodybuilding.com and you will find several articles about it.

PS another bonus is not having to read Matt Furey's bad jokes and stuck up attitude.

ojsmoothy is offline Junior Member

Forgot the Link!!!

Okely diddley okey oh, I'm an idiot... here is the link to the afore mentioned article. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Good exercises, we do most of those in our Judo and MMA classes here. We the addition of handstands and cartwheels.

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    Yoga is very good but depending on how you weight some posture like the plow and the candle can put major stress on the neck and shoulders and are not good to do.

at least this is what my physio made me understand

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    This is why kyo kushin karate is one of the best karate style to do, i remember when i was 16 i trained in kyo kushin for a year , we did squats bodyweight we where 100 students in the class and the teacher would make each of use count to 10 in japanese and we did 1000 squats, after that it was jumping jacks, punch ups and sit ups, the streching is intense also.

I practiced 2 to 4 times a week and i never gain an ounce of weight , intense training.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    How funny, I do those same exercises in my warmups.

at least I am doing something right!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    My favorite exercise is the four-way neck exercise. Place thick padding down and get into a headstand position, with the lower legs bent to 90 degrees and feet against the way. From here, perform neck flexion and neck extension for desired reps. and then neck lateral flexion (right and left) for desired reps. This exercise increases range of motion, endurance, and strength in the neck. A major plus for any martial artist.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Good exercises, we do most of those in our Judo and MMA classes here. We the addition of handstands and cartwheels.
    In his book, he also covers handstand pushups. I perform mine off of stools so that I can sink my head between them and get extra ROM. Bad ass exercise!

simm is offline Senior Member
    Do any of you guys get headaches after bridging exercises and feel all head heavy for a day or 2 afterwards??

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Are you bridging wrestler style or Matt Furey-style? When starting (Matt Furey-style), it felt like my neck was going to snap. Over time, my strength gradually increased and so did my flexibility. It just took time. Can't say that I had your experience, though.
    Last edited by striker93; 08-26-2005 at 07:10 PM.

Thread Information