yannick32 is offline Associate Member

Talking weight training does make a difference in stricking and takedowns

I was 16 when i first competed in tae kwon do, i started training that same year, i got into serious training at 18 lifting some pertty heavy weights and still competed, my bodyweight did change at all but people i sparred with told me that my striking power was quit amazing.

Last week i was fooling around with a guy at my job, he plays hockey and he likes to shove people when he sees them in the corridor, i shoved him back twice and put him against the wall, they guy didnt move at all. I really felt stronger since starting training a lot heavier couple of weeks back.

Anyone notice that there is a big difference when you weight train and the striking and more?

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Yeah i suppose you theory is right you would have a hard strike but its more the question could you keep it up...I train amatuer boxing and advise them not to do any wieghts but when they reach 17 i feel they should decide for them selves what to do...dont get me wrong i do wieghts my self but i do not compete any more so i can give my self some leaway to making my body look a little more cut ...But yes deffinatly you would have greater striking power and after looking at a couple of you posts and the mma you do then yes it might benifit you...but as for boxing i realy dont think heavy wieghts mix..just body wieght exercises.

USN DV is offline Associate Member
    I think weight training makes me a better striker/grappler. It's a lot easier to take some down when your weighing 235 instead of 185

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    Box this i am a bit recovering right now, still doing rehab for posture but the physio did say that he wants me to start training again has i used too. The weight are going up real nice and i try to keep 100% form to them too, incline db press is up to 85 pounds db and i can manage 8 good reps, shoulder db press is up to 65 pounds with again 8 reps and this weekend i trained legs with leg press 7 plates each side to do around 6 good forced reps.

I just cant imagine someone having a body has hard has a rock and being so strong couldnt make a difference in fighting.

I do plan to return in September and i still need to shop around for a martial art school.

I saw a big differene when i was 21 in tkd competition competing at 190-195 pounds for sure you hit a lot harder then when you weight in 165-170 pounds.

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    I can't think of any sport that weight training couldn't help to some degree. I was thinking it may not help a horse jockey, but then I thought they could probably maintain their weight while adding lbm.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SprinterOne
    I can't think of any sport that weight training couldn't help to some degree. I was thinking it may not help a horse jockey, but then I thought they could probably maintain their weight while adding lbm.
    Thank you very much! did everyone hear that.

Heavy weights and explosive drills will help significantly!

THErealAK47 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick32
    I was 16 when i first competed in tae kwon do, i started training that same year, i got into serious training at 18 lifting some pertty heavy weights and still competed, my bodyweight did change at all but people i sparred with told me that my striking power was quit amazing.

Last week i was fooling around with a guy at my job, he plays hockey and he likes to shove people when he sees them in the corridor, i shoved him back twice and put him against the wall, they guy didnt move at all. I really felt stronger since starting training a lot heavier couple of weeks back.

Anyone notice that there is a big difference when you weight train and the striking and more?
    It all depends on who your opponents are and what you are training in. Extra strength usually only helps when your skills are equal when it comes to grappling. Strength will help in striking but you can have the hardest punch in the world but it doesn't mean anything if you can't land the punch. The #1 MMA fighter in the world (Fedor Emelianenko) trains with out pumping iron and the reason he is #1 is because practice makes perfect. Practice is the best thing to make a fighter better.

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THErealAK47
    It all depends on who your opponents are and what you are training in. Extra strength usually only helps when your skills are equal when it comes to grappling. Strength will help in striking but you can have the hardest punch in the world but it doesn't mean anything if you can't land the punch. The #1 MMA fighter in the world (Fedor Emelianenko) trains with out pumping iron and the reason he is #1 is because practice makes perfect. Practice is the best thing to make a fighter better.
    Very true...Strength when you are fighting is a natural ability..the more you practice the better connection you get !

Thread Information