Squatman51 is offline Senior Member

Korean martial arts

I will be attending college this year and there is a club called korean martial arts... anyone know what this would be like???

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    Most likely a lot of Tae Kwon Do, maybe some Kook Sool Won. I lived in Korea for 15 months, competed in TKD, but as far as martial arts go, it's a bit dull. That's just my opinion.

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    TKD is really cool to practice but has far has street fighting and defense goes its not that good.

Did it for over 7 years. The counter back kick can come in very handy LOL.

Outlawtorn099 is offline New Member
    I've been doing TKD for 13 years about and it has been really beneficial to my overall fighting style. It's made me flexible and has given me great foot speed. However, I would suggest also taking wrestling or jui jitsu and boxing along with it in order to become a more well rounded fighter.

yea i plan to wrestle also... i wrestled in high school and i fell in love with it my junior and senior year...especially senior year except for the heartbreaking finish

savax is offline Associate Member
    I've down TKD and Hapkido, have a black in both. Not impressed with the art when applied to the streets. Take something more practical like Muay thai, boxing, wrestling, BJJ

Bjj????

ohh nvm jui jitsui

royce gracie is a cool guy, he came to our school for like a week and he trained our local police in our wrestling room. Our wrestling coach took gracie down twice with an ankle pick and then gracie was like "you shouldnt have done that" and made him tap in a few seconds with an ankle lock

savax is offline Associate Member
    Hahha. Royce is the man! But yeah, i hate to be so blunt, but the Korean arts kinda suck. they are very cocky about their styles but i don't think they're practical unless you're fighting some drunk who doesn't know what he's doindg

yea its the only martial arts club offered at college....i figured i might try it out

Alfamale is offline Associate Member
    I am a blackbelt in TKD and have competed alot, it was 8 years since i quit. Now in do Muay thai and my kicks are probably best in my club and im sure that it have to do whit my background as a tkd fighter. I have ofcourse converted my tkd kicks to muay thai kicks but is still have the speed and flexebility from the tkd.
    If it is a tkd club i suggest that you get there and try it out. Tkd isent hard core it is more like fencing but it is fun and a good martial art to learn kicks.

Outlawtorn099 is offline New Member
    I notice that people posted saying that muay tai is more practicle than TKD when it comes to street fights. I do agree with them, because how often are you going to be doing a tornado kick in a street fight. Most street fights consist of two punches and then a wrestling match anyway. However, practiciing these high flying advance spinned kicks, teach to be more balanced kicker as well as make your beginner more practicle kicks for example the front round house stronger and easier to execute. Plus I know for fact that in multiple enemy situations, it is essential to execute and move whether throuhg spins or jumping around, or any other type of footwork that TKD emphasizes in trainging. Muay tai is more rigid and more forward and back motion which would not hold up in multiple enemy situations.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The best thing that Tae Kwon Do will do for you is make you more athletic. It takes a lot of balance and coordination to execute their kicks. You will also become much quicker, as they emphasize speed and quickness. The techniques are designed to fend off multiple attackers. If you're looking to become a lethal striker, check out boxing and muay thai. Having a background in Tae Kwon Do will make you a better thai boxer.

Therocksbiggestfan is offline Associate Member
    I definatly believe that if you want to take martial arts in college look for somthing that could help u quickly, and make u a better conditioned person. Id say go fot Muay Thai, its a fun heart pumping workout, which in my opinion is better than any tredmill, also it will teach u the most devistating fighting moves quickest, without all those fancy forms that korean karate, and other martial arts styles give u. Also after a while u might be able to fight in the ring against some of your classmates, which will teach u alot. I know I am just getting back into muay thai after a move from ny. So when I trained i learned a lot about getting your ass hit!!! and how to give a hit!!!!

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Therocksbiggestfan makes total sense, there is a muay thai school near my house now if i can fix the back pain god damn it.

I got some instructional dvd on muay thai and its far better then any stand up i have seen to date.

Thread Information