Thread: speed bag work

benchaholic777 is offline New Member

speed bag work

Im not a boxer by any means but I want to work in some boxing training because most boxers have well developed back and shoulders, and I was thinking speed bag work might help a rotator cuff weakness I have. I've been told its hard to work a speed bag. Is there a video or book to help me learn how. Im buying a bag to put in my garage.

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    Speed bag is cool, its mostly used to improve timing and getting you hand eye cordination in sync with a moving target. The reason that boxers have sick traps/upper backs and shoulders is from sparring. 12 ounce glove start to get heavy as rounds go on. If you want a speedbag work out, incorporate it into a bag workout routine. A good workout I do when Im training for a fight is:

stretch for 10 min.
    2 3minute rounds of jump rope with 1 min rest between rounds
    1 3min round of speedbag right foot stance hitting the bag at alternating beat paterns
    1 3min round of speedbag Left foot stance hitting the bag at alternating beat paterns
    1 3min round of jabs on heavy bag with 12 oz gloves
    1 3min round of crosses on heavy bag
    1 3min round left hooks on heavy bag
    1 3min round right hooks on heavy bag
    1 3min round fron kicks on heavy bag
    1 3min round left thai kicks on heavy bag
    1 3min round right thai kicks on heavy bag
    1 3min speedbag alternating beat patterns and alternating stance

then sparr for 3-5 3 minute rounds or grapple for 30 min
    you will need a timer, jump rope, speed bag, gloves for this workout.

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    I forgot to add, if you are training for a fight with 5 min rounds with 1 min rest between rounds, do 5 min rounds on the workout with 1 min rest. This will get you used to working out for that specific amount of time. The key to this workout it to push yourself. It's very easy to get tired and slow down, but it's best to keep the intensity up throughout the rounds and tire yourself as much as possible before the sparring or grappling portion of the workout. If you are tired before you sparr, you can focus on the fundamentals as well as push your mental aspect of the game. If you train to perform good under your worst conditions, nothing will suprise you in a fight.

another good workout is to hit the heavy bag using 1,2 jab cross combos and 1,2 jab right hook combos for 1 5min round. Have a timer go off every 30 seconds throughout the round. The way this works is for the first 30 seconds you hit the bag and breathe normally, when the 30 sec timer rings, hold your breath and try to keep the pace where it was. When the timer hits again, breathe again for 30 seconds. Repeat this throughout the round.

benchaholic777 is offline New Member
    thanks bro

Thread Information