Thread: best style?

lcpl kill is offline Associate Member

best style?

ive been looking into muay thai since i just had shoulder surgery and cant throw a punch with my right arm. is this the best all around style. i took kempo karate for about five years but i want to learn something that would just devastate an opponent. from watching ufc it seems to be one of the most used styles. any insight?

savax is offline Associate Member
    Muay thai for striking. BJJ for submissions. wrestling for takedowns. Muay thai alone u can whoop some ass in a streetfight

thanks, i basically want to learn something to defend myself and end a fight before it begins.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    A good Vale Tudo school will teach you both Muay Thai and BJJ.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Alot of BJJ schools are now combining styles and going more MMA ore Reality fighting. Check it out, I find the more you know the better. I train with Muay Thai/BJJ/grappling/boxing and loved it! Check for schools.. or bjj.org

SID

Alfamale is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcpl kill
    ive been looking into muay thai since i just had shoulder surgery and cant throw a punch with my right arm. is this the best all around style. i took kempo karate for about five years but i want to learn something that would just devastate an opponent. from watching ufc it seems to be one of the most used styles. any insight?

If you cant punch whit your right arm martial art isent an option, try soccer.

Alfamale is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savax
    Muay thai for striking. BJJ for submissions. wrestling for takedowns. Muay thai alone u can whoop some ass in a streetfight

Muay thai striking is exaktly like boxing, exept that you can use your elbows. But it is all about knees and kicks because you get lots more points for it when you compete.

I'll just say this about the various styles "Its not the song that matters, its the singer!", get it!

thanks for the feed back. im not really looking to compete, just to be able to put some mother fu@#ers in the hospital if need be.

radar1234 is offline Member
    thanks for the feed back. im not really looking to compete, just to be able to put some mother fu@#ers in the hospital if need be.
    thats a pretty stupid reason to train! it doesnt matter how much u train if u have no heart. u cant train heart. u either have it or u dont.

just some advise though: if u go to a gym wanting to learn u had better check ur attitude at the door.

1, i have plenty of heart i wouldnt do what i do if i didnt.
    2, fighting skill is what i dont have.
    3, an attitude is something i also dont have its called sarcasm.
    4, excuse my humor but my reason for wanting to train is to be able to protect myself and my family!

radar1234 is offline Member
    4, excuse my humor but my reason for wanting to train is to be able to protect myself and my family!
    protect your family from what? an mma fighter on the prowl? lol get a gun!

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    buy an old pickup truck then

If I could make a suggestion!

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    Play some rap music

phwSSJ is offline Banned

You got the wrong Idea bro

phwSSJ is offline Banned

sounds like you are going out looking for a fight.

Sheeeit look at your user name.

I hate it when idiots disgrace the martial arts.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savax

Is muay thai the best style for say street fighting??

Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    Is muay thai the best style for say street fighting??

M.T. or kickboxing. I don't particularly like M.T.'s guard, I find it very easy to get through but they do have great legs.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    M.T. or kickboxing. I don't particularly like M.T.'s guard, I find it very easy to get through but they do have great legs.
    What kind of guard to they have....I want to get into a martial art but im not sure which one yet...i was thinking muay thai but not sure

simm is offline Senior Member

banging

To be quite honest. most of the ufc/pride fighters are boxer/controlled BANGERS. they all have heavy hands and just learn to kick and block abit. anybody who thinks that thai boxing is a very dangerous sport is actually right in their own way! where a thai boxer can kick s*** out of a boxers legs in the ring. i would usually place my money on the boxer in the street scenario. obviously if the thai boxer can withstand the boxers shots in the street,he should win as the boxers hands will be smashed to pieces and thats his only weapon. me and my brothers have came to a true conclusion!!! Most/if not all thai boxers are chinny/weak chinned! the reason for this is simple. when you throw a kick.leg or head,you are susceptible to an overhand right/looper. my opinion is that people who like kicking want to stay back from getting involved in the fight/hence kicking distance! this will not win in the street. some NORMAL people may have 30 seconds of unknown explosive power and knock the thai boxer out cold.where as the boxer has a great base and moving/trading shots ability. he should pull it off as he don't mind being hit! My opinion on what you should do is! Train on solid left jabs as your right arms f***** up. when i say solid,i mean aim to draw the opponent/heavy bag onto it and do a solid lockout/smash into it! They can be as effective as a right hand if preformed properly.. learn how to block kicks and deliver low kicks. f*** head kicks, people who do them get put straight on their arse.learn how to avoid them1 yeah yeah i hear you all say,mirko can do them. yeah sure he can but he is an exception/k-1 level. even he got ko'd by randleman.see my point/chinny!!!! Controlled banging/boxing mixed with blocking,takedowns/only body/waist locks. anything lower is susceptible for a sprawl and knees.. kicks should always come last!!! confusing i know,but hope it helps!! you also need a huge pair of balls for street fighting!! good luck

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by simm
    To be quite honest. most of the ufc/pride fighters are boxer/controlled BANGERS. they all have heavy hands and just learn to kick and block abit. anybody who thinks that thai boxing is a very dangerous sport is actually right in their own way! where a thai boxer can kick s*** out of a boxers legs in the ring. i would usually place my money on the boxer in the street scenario. obviously if the thai boxer can withstand the boxers shots in the street,he should win as the boxers hands will be smashed to pieces and thats his only weapon. me and my brothers have came to a true conclusion!!! Most/if not all thai boxers are chinny/weak chinned! the reason for this is simple. when you throw a kick.leg or head,you are susceptible to an overhand right/looper. my opinion is that people who like kicking want to stay back from getting involved in the fight/hence kicking distance! this will not win in the street. some NORMAL people may have 30 seconds of unknown explosive power and knock the thai boxer out cold.where as the boxer has a great base and moving/trading shots ability. he should pull it off as he don't mind being hit! My opinion on what you should do is! Train on solid left jabs as your right arms f***** up. when i say solid,i mean aim to draw the opponent/heavy bag onto it and do a solid lockout/smash into it! They can be as effective as a right hand if preformed properly.. learn how to block kicks and deliver low kicks. f*** head kicks, people who do them get put straight on their arse.learn how to avoid them1 yeah yeah i hear you all say,mirko can do them. yeah sure he can but he is an exception/k-1 level. even he got ko'd by randleman.see my point/chinny!!!! Controlled banging/boxing mixed with blocking,takedowns/only body/waist locks. anything lower is susceptible for a sprawl and knees.. kicks should always come last!!! confusing i know,but hope it helps!! you also need a huge pair of balls for street fighting!! good luck

For those who dont know about martial arts, disregard the above statement unless you want a completely focked explanation of MMA.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    What kind of guard to they have....I want to get into a martial art but im not sure which one yet...i was thinking muay thai but not sure

Let me say this..MUAY THAI, IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM, HAS AN EASY GUARD TO GET THROUGH!

Muay Thai is everything western boxing is and more with a much better guard.

I dont know where people get the misconception that muay thai is all legs. That is the completely ridiculous. Put it this way..if you eliminate the the legs from muay thai the the hands alone are superior to that of western boxing, anyway you see it that is a FACT!

Sorry to pull your chain but, how come no THAI BOXER has beaten francois botha in k-1 yet? I thought k-1 fighters were the western THAI BOXERS? It does come down to the individual and weight of fighter vs fighter obviously. i do not doubt that. but how can you say that thai boxers hands are better than boxers hands? MOST thai boxers hands are a disgrace. The art of t'boxing is kicking,knees and elbowing. the only t'boxers with decent hands are the actual thais themselves. some of them have even become world boxing champions! If a good t'boxer fights a s*** boxer,the t'boxer should win and vice versa! Depends on stamina/fitness and desire to win... My opinion is concentrate on ko punch speed/accuracy and power for street fighting. obviously do kicks and knees,but to no great extent.. look at most street fights, how are the majority of them won..Punch/KO.... Not many people get knocked out with head kicks as in street situations they are not very realistic! My personal experience shows that, fast and powerful hands combined with a strong wrestling/ragging up style of wrestling/all in explosive wrestling and soccer kicks to the head,plus the odd stomp if required,is all that is desired for street situations!!!! Even wanderlei silva is a thai boxer also mark hunt,but both of them concentrate on hands first,that is what makes them so dangerous/not the kicks!! soccer kicks/stomps are a necessity though!!!

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Sorry to pull your chain but, how come no THAI BOXER has beaten francois botha in k-1 yet? I thought k-1 fighters were the western THAI BOXERS? It does come down to the individual and weight of fighter vs fighter obviously. i do not doubt that. but how can you say that thai boxers hands are better than boxers hands? MOST thai boxers hands are a disgrace. The art of t'boxing is kicking,knees and elbowing. the only t'boxers with decent hands are the actual thais themselves. some of them have even become world boxing champions! If a good t'boxer fights a s*** boxer,the t'boxer should win and vice versa! Depends on stamina/fitness and desire to win... My opinion is concentrate on ko punch speed/accuracy and power for street fighting. obviously do kicks and knees,but to no great extent.. look at most street fights, how are the majority of them won..Punch/KO.... Not many people get knocked out with head kicks as in street situations they are not very realistic! My personal experience shows that, fast and powerful hands combined with a strong wrestling/ragging up style of wrestling/all in explosive wrestling and soccer kicks to the head,plus the odd stomp if required,is all that is desired for street situations!!!! Even wanderlei silva is a thai boxer also mark hunt,but both of them concentrate on hands first,that is what makes them so dangerous/not the kicks!! soccer kicks/stomps are a necessity though!!!
    The art of Muay Thai is a superior art.

The above statement, once again, is pure idiocy!

M.T. guard

I'm only stating my experience of fighting M.T. fighters. I do find their guard easy to get through, HOWEVER when I use MMA gloves I take a Muay Thai guard as my normal guard offer's me no protection what so ever!. I think its horses for courses. I prefer a close guard and don't mind taking some punishment to close the distance, and I do find it easy to get through an M.T. guard.

Regarding their legs, all I can say is their way better than anything I've trained in before. We don't do low leg kicks here in kickboxing and I find it very difficult to take their thigh shots.

The only thing with thai boxing is that to kick/especially the head,you must stand upright allowing an overhand right to connect.don't get me wrong here,i am not knocking the sport as it is lethal in the right hands/as shown in ufc/pride. what i am saying is yes i agree with bouncer.leg kicks are hard to block but some people and i say SOME/not many,will walk through them just aiming to chin the guy/gal throwing them...that is when they are no good and you must trade punches! As for the mma gloves and guard,yes it is better to have a muay thai guard as you can parry/block shots easier. if wearing 12oz boxing gloves,most muay thai boxers seem to have no punching power.this is when they become vulnerable.. Look at the recent Sergei kharitonov vs pedrs rizzo fight..walk over.. classical boxer/sombo fighter vs pure muay thai/jiu jitsu fighter.. boxer/banger fighters seem stronger than muay thai fighters,therefore preforming better in mma and street fights.. only 1 exception so far..MIRKO.. we will see if i am right on august 28th!!!

Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member
    Bah , you guys don't know nothing ! the best style is called " Slice ! ". All you got to do to master " Slice " style is take boatloads of PCP and eat a lot of bread. Then you can mess up other people's eyes no problem... and if you do come in contact with a fool that can house you , you can always use your face to block his knees.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    The only thing with thai boxing is that to kick/especially the head,you must stand upright allowing an overhand right to connect.don't get me wrong here,i am not knocking the sport as it is lethal in the right hands/as shown in ufc/pride. what i am saying is yes i agree with bouncer.leg kicks are hard to block but some people and i say SOME/not many,will walk through them just aiming to chin the guy/gal throwing them...that is when they are no good and you must trade punches! As for the mma gloves and guard,yes it is better to have a muay thai guard as you can parry/block shots easier. if wearing 12oz boxing gloves,most muay thai boxers seem to have no punching power.this is when they become vulnerable.. Look at the recent Sergei kharitonov vs pedrs rizzo fight..walk over.. classical boxer/sombo fighter vs pure muay thai/jiu jitsu fighter.. boxer/banger fighters seem stronger than muay thai fighters,therefore preforming better in mma and street fights.. only 1 exception so far..MIRKO.. we will see if i am right on august 28th!!!

What the hell, STOP the BS. Now I am getting pissed cus you keep posting a bunch of bullsh1t.

I just dont want people to get the wrong idea about Muay Thai from a an ignorant person like you that thinks they know about Muay Thai but really doesnt know their head from their ass.

You keep reffering to some of these fighters as if they represent MT.
    Most of them just just adopt some of the muay thai style, and most other people are just wana-be's

If you know anything about Muay Thai then you would know that thai fighters back in the day used to fight with their fists wrapped in rope.. just as thick or barely thicker than an MMA glove. ...and that gloves are just a modernization of the sport.

And for the last fking time, The hands in MT alone are superior to that of western style boxing or any style!

Thread Information