Papi93 is offline AR VET

Spinning Kicks - Any Use?

We were practicing spinning wheel kicks and spinning hook kicks in class on Wednesday. This kicks have made me more athletic but that really seems to be the main benefit of these kicks. In a standup match, no takedowns allowed, I always resort a variety of punches, basic jab kicks (front, side, etc) and basic rear leg kicks (roundhouse, etc.). Has anyone had any success with the spin kicks in competition? I've seen the spin kick used with some success. It really leaves you vunerable to openings, though. Thanks!

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    leaves you very vunerable, it executed incorrectly... but I have used them, (rarely), when the opportunity presents itself... have been nailed with one or two as well!

i use them in the mosh pit. RUTHLESS.

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by fighteveryone
    i use them in the mosh pit. RUTHLESS.
    haha... sweet skills!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    If you get them off right their fantastic. They generate huge torque, but fvck it up and your in a cluster **** of trouble. When I use them I set up my opponent by going on the back foot and have them come in strong, than BAM!. Done correctly they'll stop a tank. One warning, I wouldn't use them in an MMA fight!.

USN DV is offline Associate Member
    I like them, I have use a spin heel kick alot. As long as you have a good idea were there head is it's hard to miss. The spin side kick requires more accuracy

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    If you get them off right their fantastic. They generate huge torque, but fvck it up and your in a cluster **** of trouble. When I use them I set up my opponent by going on the back foot and have them come in strong, than BAM!. Done correctly they'll stop a tank. One warning, I wouldn't use them in an MMA fight!.
    I would think spin kicks, the majority of the time in MMA competitions, would only work against someone willing to stay standing and against an individual with a lower level of skill. There was only one MMA match that I can think of, where a spin kick was used successfully. Otherwise, none.

_Tiger_ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    We were practicing spinning wheel kicks and spinning hook kicks in class on Wednesday. This kicks have made me more athletic but that really seems to be the main benefit of these kicks. In a standup match, no takedowns allowed, I always resort a variety of punches, basic jab kicks (front, side, etc) and basic rear leg kicks (roundhouse, etc.). Has anyone had any success with the spin kicks in competition? I've seen the spin kick used with some success. It really leaves you vunerable to openings, though. Thanks!
    What are you takin'? Kinda sounds like Tae Kwan Do.....*(a TON of kicking involved)* ...anyway I definitely think spinning kicks have their place. You just need to get good enough to execute them quick enough to be effective IMO. We learned this one that's pretty cool, you actually put the non-kicking foot on the opponents knee (they are bent when in "stance") and jumping off the knee and spin-kicking them in the head. I've tried it sparring a few times in the gym..I'd say if that was a real fight it would do some crazy damage.

** Also, spinning kicks are used a lot of times, when..say..you see the opponent going to punch you in the stomache. *again, when your fast enough*, counter-acting the attempted blow with a heel to the head
    Last edited by _Tiger_; 08-12-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by _Tiger_
    What are you takin'? Kinda sounds like Tae Kwan Do.....*(a TON of kicking involved)* ...anyway I definitely think spinning kicks have their place. You just need to get good enough to execute them quick enough to be effective IMO. We learned this one that's pretty cool, you actually put the non-kicking foot on the opponents knee (they are bent when in "stance") and jumping off the knee and spin-kicking them in the head. I've tried it sparring a few times in the gym..I'd say if that was a real fight it would do some crazy damage.
    I'm taking Olympic-style Tae Kwon Do and just received my green belt with a blue stripe. Sparring is my fav. When I was a kid, I earned a red belt in traditional (weapons training included) Tae Kwon Do.

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    in standup only, go for it. But in no rules expect to get shot in on or have your back taken and keep your hands up.

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    I'm more of a jump kick type guy, plus, I'm not as good with the spinnies as I was when I was younger. I think i used to practice them more for show. Never used them. you have to be supper good at them for it to be effective.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    My spinning wheel kick has really come around. It is my second most powerful kick. I have yet to connect with it in sparring but I'm not giving up, though. If I hit that kick, it'll be over. It's actually my favorite kick, so far.

ManOnSwole is offline Junior Member
    If I were to use a kick such as this it'd be as a finisher or a last resort 3rd period kind of move. Otherwise...stick to basics.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOnSwole
    If I were to use a kick such as this it'd be as a finisher or a last resort 3rd period kind of move. Otherwise...stick to basics.
    That's what my instructor told me. Good advice. He's like, "High green, quit trying to be to fancy, just stick to the basics". I get bored with the basics, while sparring, and like to test my skills in other techniques. When I've missed, so far, no one has made me pay for it. If I connect...

savax is offline Associate Member
    I think they're useful if done right - only to the body or legs. Andy Hug used to do them to the leg and if you get one on the knee it can be quite devastating. George St. Pierre also had a good one against Matt Hughes that backed him into the cage and knocked the wind out of him.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Back kick can be lethal, and in TKD there is the counter back kick, that right there is tkd itself.

beuleux is offline Banned
    i knew a lighweight guy who used drop spinning sweeps a lot in semi contests with great results maybee 9/10 came off, he had the timing down to the nano second, as soon as he saw the opponent commit to any one leg move he would drop, followed shortly by the opponent.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    they are probably best used in a dance routine

nalbano34 is offline Member
    better be fast as hell!!!!!!

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Spinning kicks/high kicks/axe kicks and so on are all techniques that are usless and end up putting u in a bad situation UNLESS u have seriously spent many many months or years perfecting them and have great flexibility and accuracy to perform them perfectly to hit exactly where u want them to! and even when u are perfect at them u only use them against inferior opponents who are almost KO'ed or are leaving their gaurd down really bad!

On the other hand low kicks to the legs are much easier to perform and land almost all of the time, thats in competition, as for a street situation its better to throw a low kick to the legs and suprize your opponent+inflit damage instead of doing a spinning kick and missing in which case u get whooped+look bad.

Thread Information